Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf courses help with Flash floods

Go down 
+3
dodo
enwee
Gray
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Golf courses help with Flash floods Empty
PostSubject: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm

I was reading about flash floods on the newspaper the other day and this thought came to my mind.

Flash floods occur more due to poor urban planning. (not some crap like "change in weather patterns due to global warming" - ST). I mean global warming surely play a part but not as much as poor urban planning. Surely if you fill a land with so much concrete, the water has no where to flow, flash floods will occur.

Take Orchard for example, before ION was built, I can't remember a flood in that area. Then ION came and Liat towers area flooded. Then they buff up liat towers area and tanglin mall area started to flood. water has to go somewhere and we need grass and fields to absorb the water.

Now comes my point. golf courses are vast areas of green fields. these areas help to absorb water. And we have rich folks to pay for the maintenance of these "green fields". these rich folks are doing the public a favor...... maintaining these fields at their own cost. Singapore need green fields to absord the rain water and prevent flooding.

Govt has to consider removing these golf courses carefully in case more flooding occurs.

Take Keppel club for example. It needs to be there. Keppel club is beside the sea. if that land is used to build a condo, no green field to absorb rain water, west coast highway will start to flood considering that west coast highway is the low land in that area. Keppel club members are doing the public and residents in telok blangah a favor. The members pay for the maintenance, as a result, there is enough green area to abosrb water and the land does not flood.

All I am saying is that Golf courses help with flooding issues and there needs to be consideration before govt decides to reduce the number of golf courses.

Just my 2 cents tok cok sense of logic. feel free to slam. haha
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Singapore got no floods, only ponding.....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dodo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodo

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 pm

It is a good point. Where there are golf courses in Sg, it almost never flood right? Even reclaimed land barely above sea level like Safra Changi never flood. And for sure some ponding experts in pub already know the concept of flood plain (ie spreading sudden rise of water levels during flash floods to a large greenery like the recently renovated Bishan Park). Too bad sometimes simple solutions have to take backseat to some even bigger plans Sad
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice theory! +1000
Back to top Go down
sim.t.lim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
sim.t.lim

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Too bad, Singapore is a country run by Mr Kiasu Kiasi Kia silang. Anything that can squeeze a cent out, government will squeeze a dollar out from it. You think they will care whether the field will help to absorb water??? Too bad, they prefer absorb money... At most the spend a few million to construct a underground water drainage system. Then showing the people that government is solving the flooding problems...

On the other hands, government is asking us to boost our neighbour country economy, cos sgp economic is too strong, result to the sgp dollar to ringgit exchange rate is increasing.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:16 pm

I hate it when they put blames on their so-called heaven wills...Mad 
Just a bunch of rubbish..at times. Wink
Back to top Go down
albus dumbledore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
albus dumbledore

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am

i gain a few fifty years of age from the past few years.. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf courses help with Flash floods   Golf courses help with Flash floods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf courses help with Flash floods
Page 1 of 1