Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any review on MP FLI HI?

Go down 
+2
S70B
JetA1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

Any review on MP FLI HI? Empty
PostSubject: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 am

Hi,
i'm interested in getting a MP FLI HI 3 iron as my current MP52 set doesn't come with a 3 iron. Any users out there willing to give a review on it?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 11:01 am

Are you talking about the latest model or the one with the cut channel at the back?
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 11:22 am

The latest model, thank you
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 11:43 am

Here was a short review by me.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/equipment-reviews-f14/would-you-like-a-combo-without-the-chrome-t2197-15.htm

I must say upfront that how well that club will work for you will be largely based on your skill level. If you are a mid-hdcper or better who is a decent ball-striker with the 4 and 5 iron, you will love the fact that this club is a whole lot easier to handle.

If you struggle to get those long irons airborne or straight, you might be better off w a hybrid.

I love it right now though. However, I have to say that it goes longer than my regular MP58 3i so the gap between it and my 4i now is about 5-10yds more depending on whether its used from the tees or off the fairway.
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Great review, thank you once again. Very Happy
saw that you had changed your shafts to KBS, how is the ball flight compared to 950GH?
i hit my 6 iron around 145m, but feels that my ball flight is a bit high, so wondering if changing my stock shafts will improve distance.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:07 pm

Wah Rex, Ur gaming the MP 58s already ah? Drop an FR can or not?

I agree with you on the distance gap which not many are aware of. The hybrids that are supposedly the iron equivalent launches easier and higher for more yardage. Should confirm it with DGman's Trackman one day.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:07 pm

I am not a fan of NS Pro frankly. They are soft tip, torquey and high spin, well, for me anyway.

My choices for shafts now are the KBS and DG. The KBS goes higher but has lower spin numbers on the trackman. Ball flight although high when hit into the wind is not as affected as the rest of the shafts I tried.

If you are to choose KBS in the future, I wud advise that you spine it properly. Somehow, the spine affects the KBS shafts more than the DG, again for me anyway.

I was also lucky that when I was fitted, I found that I do not need to soft or hard step the shafts. Quite lucky that I can play it straight up. If you need to though, I'm not sure if it will affect its playing characteristics.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 am

It has been exactly a month since I got this club before I actually brought it out on the golf course.

This baby outperformed my expectations. Before I go further, I must 1st say I have the Fourteen HI 858 2iron and that club to me is not a good friend on a bad swing day.

I had a pretty enjoyable day although the rust in my game shows up becos of the lack of practice and play. However, I hit this club on 4 occasions today for shots between 190-210yds and it performed on 3 shots except for 1 which I pulled-hooked because of a bad swing.

The sole makes it easy to take shallow divots and prevent u from overdigging. The way the club is designed makes it very similar in feel to a std player's cavity back.

Overall, this club has been the fav to hit over the whole round. If u put up a semi-decent swing and not try to be cute with it, the forgiveness is not far off from a normal hybrid.

The MP58 3iron is not coming back to the bag as of now. I can't see the reason to give this up.

Oh, I will also recommend to get it shafted rite. Its better to get it to match the iron shafts in ur bag rather than something of a hybrid shaft. The club fits in so nicely u will hardly think of it as a hybrid but rather a very very solid long iron.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks, S70B. Any pictures? Not that it makes a difference but it's always nice to see the location of your golfing expeditions... and and a photo of the club would be nice too Razz
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Hey TS, the foto is actually in the link 6 posts above.

No course pics but believe it or not, this linksy course was built on a former landfill! Laughing

We got paired with a nice old couple who told us that when it 1st opened 3 years ago, it stank as hell but its' turned out pretty well now. geek

I only have a video of my friend (which isn't terrific footage either). Not the most elegant of swings but he hit this 240yd 4 iron with a rope draw to 10ft for an eagle putt after a 310yd bomb drive on this 550yd par 5 10th. Left the 3 of us dumbfounded.

I hit Driver-Hybrid and still had a 35yd pitch in. pale However, I think its still wonderful to be playing golf on such a nice day so being thrashed by him wasn't so bad.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Ahh... thanks.

The weather looks amazing. It looks sunny but I don't think it's hot. I'm so envious. Looks like you guys had a good game. Keep those FRs on clubs and courses coming! Smile
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 pm

wow.... that's a very tasty FR from you. Seems that MP Fli Hi is a very good 3 iron replacement.

I've test-swing it a couple of times at GH Suntec over the weekend. But the sales guy taped up the club face with so much masking tape that the club feels so dead. Then i commented that it's very difficult to make a decision when i cant see the ball flight, that guy actually say it's not impt at all! " As long as you feel good, can buy liao!" Quite pissed off with the sales guy.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I see that you have been converted from a titi to a mizzi...
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:45 pm

JetA1 wrote:
wow.... that's a very tasty FR from you. Seems that MP Fli Hi is a very good 3 iron replacement.

I've test-swing it a couple of times at GH Suntec over the weekend. But the sales guy taped up the club face with so much masking tape that the club feels so dead. Then i commented that it's very difficult to make a decision when i cant see the ball flight, that guy actually say it's not impt at all! " As long as you feel good, can buy liao!" Quite pissed off with the sales guy.

Agree, the sales people at GH Suntec are rather nonchalant. They can't be bothered to club-fit me when I got the MP52. They were so eager to close the sales and simply tell me to come back another day if I really want to do club-fitting!!! Of coz there are good ones, you just have to find out who. Anyway, the Fli-Hi are fitted with S200 shafts which is heavier. Unless you are confident of hitting it well, a hybrid may be easier.
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
JetA1

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Phew! i thought i was the only one who felt that GH needs to improve their service standards.
Feels sad for mizuno as GH is their exclusive retailer here in sg
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Yep. The S200s might not be everyone's cup of tea. If u hv been fitted for ur current set of irons, I suggest using the same type of shafts. That makes alot of diff to the playability of this club.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any review on MP FLI HI?   Any review on MP FLI HI? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any review on MP FLI HI?
Page 1 of 1