Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can I borrow your ball please

Go down 
+4
mariateo
Artloh
hkhamateur
TDO
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Can I borrow your ball please Empty
PostSubject: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 am

During a round of golf, a golfer ran out of balls to play with 5 holes to play.

What is his/her option/right under the Rules of Golf:

1. Borrow some balls from his/her kakis.
  2. Buy from his/her kakis some balls
  3. Disqualify

Last edited by TDO on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 am

Social game usually I just gave him used balls. Wink
Bt I do carry a sleeve of new basic balls w me like Slazenger, Dunlop, Precept etc... just in any case beginner friends, wife etc...forgotten to bring or run out durg their donation. Laughing 
Game w bettg, either he ll buy fm me, give me more strokes or lost this hole n try gettg fm the store or mid-way hubs n b ready fr the next hole. Cool 
Evil me hor..no choice as has been losg alot.Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:42 am

All the options stated are fine provided he doesn't delay play.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:51 am

I forgot to insert the words "under the Rules of Golf".
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mariateo

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:00 pm

DQ
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Oh...if tats the case, nt neccessary he/she ll get DQ immediately right?Question 
They can send their caddy to grap the balls fm their locker or nearby store bt probably ll get a warning or 1 stroke penalty fr delay play. Am I right?  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:24 pm

All these options are within the ROG. See 5-1/5. But must not delay play. He may even ask the Marshall to buy from the pro shop and send it to him.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 4:06 pm

The rule doesn't say he can't... 

Quoting USGA rules, Rules 15-1 and 15-2 explain that the player must complete play of the hole with the ball with which he began the hole unless he is proceeding under a Rule that permits him to substitute a ball. The player may change balls between the play of two holes as well. Rules 26-1 (Water Hazard Rule), 27-1 (Ball Lost or Out of Bounds) and 28 (Ball Unplayable) are examples of Rules that permit the player to substitute another ball. Rule 5-3 permits a player to substitute another ball during the play of a hole when his original ball has become unfit for play during the play of that hole. Other Rules (e.g. Rule 18, Rule 24, and Rule 25-1) permit the player to substitute another ball only if the original ball is not immediately recoverable. [/size]

So technically if the opponent is willing, or using other means to get new balls etc, he can continue to play.
Back to top Go down
Elephant789
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Elephant789

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
Bt I do carry a sleeve of new basic balls w me like Slazenger, Dunlop, Precept etc... just in any case beginner friends, wife etc...forgotten to bring or run out durg their donation. Laughing 
Game w bettg, either he ll buy fm me, give me more strokes or lost this hole n try gettg fm the store or mid-way hubs n b ready fr the next hole. Cool 

This was so difficult to read.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 pm

hkhamateur wrote:

I recalled my very 1st 18-holes @ Starhill (oso my 1st game). I lost all my 15balls and hkhamateur is kind enuff to lent me 1 golf ball to complete my game Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 am

Rule 5
What if I run out of Golf Balls?
Q.  If a player runs out of golf balls during a round, may he borrow a ball from another player?
A.  Yes. There is nothing in the Rules of Golf that prohibits a player from borrowing a golf ball from an opponent or fellow-competitor. A player who runs out of balls may get a new supply from any source, provided he does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) in the process. Although golf balls are part of a player`s equipment, the only type of equipment that the Rules limit the borrowing of is clubs Rule 4-4(Decision 5-1/5)

But seriously, I must be playing quite badly if I run out of golf balls assuming I have brought enough for a typical game.
If I am a tour player, I would pretend to be sick and withdraw from tournament...
If I am a social player, better buy the 50 balls for $10 at the next half-way house...I would be busy looking for my ball in the bushes or water edge.  But don't stop there, look for other people's lost balls as well...at least until you reach the half-way to stock up.
If I haven't finish the 1st nine, pray for weather so at least you still can get a rain check for another day...Embarassed
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 10:29 am

Attached below for your reference:

http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules.asp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I borrow your ball please   Can I borrow your ball please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can I borrow your ball please
Page 1 of 1