Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Problem of constant hooking

Go down 
+15
Denis
lohchunkhai
hkhamateur
MLP
Birdman
Derek
essentiale
Vinny
haragolfer
Rafj
weesern
flog-er
skybobo
CKT61
Fastgreen
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fastgreen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Problem of constant hooking Empty
PostSubject: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi, Pros,
From time to time I have this severe hook with my driver - in a game last week, I sent 3 consecutive drives into left OB - without knowing the reason. Any understanding and suggestion to share?

Thanks.
FG
Back to top Go down
CKT61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm no pro... 
Do you hold your grip very tight? Especially your right hand..
Back to top Go down
Fastgreen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks CKT61. That could be the reason... But probably because of others too, as I have been playing for so many years with the same grip.
Back to top Go down
CKT61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 2:56 pm

That will probably be one of the many various factors combine into one bad hook. I had my fair share if slice and hooks too.. Gotta be patient.. Hehe...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Fastgreen wrote:
Hi, Pros,
From time to time I have this severe hook with my driver - in a game last week, I sent 3 consecutive drives into left OB - without knowing the reason. Any understanding and suggestion to share?

Thanks.
FG

Bro, I'm no pro but I have my fair share of hooks.
Normally when you are hooking, you are using more of your hands rather than the rotation of your shoulder.  What happens is you actaully stop turning and let the hands take over.....and hence hook.  So to cure the hook, turn more and the hands will take care of themselves.....

Just sharing how I cure my hook
Back to top Go down
flog-er
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:32 pm

I asked my coach before and he said my case was due to my body turning much faster than my arms

Didn't really dwell on it more at that time as I'm more a slicer....
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:55 pm

flog-er wrote:
I asked my coach before and he said my case was due to my body turning much faster than my arms

If body turn faster than arms......isn't it more of a slice than hook?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:01 pm

flog-er wrote:

if u are more of a slicer during that time then maybe ur case at that time is a slice.... and ur pro is referring to the slice?
Back to top Go down
flog-er
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:29 pm

I was specifically asking abt an occasional hook and that was his reply...

I was not sure of the mechanics.... Question
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Fastgreen wrote:
Hi, Pros,

Thanks.
FG

Too many factors to identify why you're getting the hooks.

Causes could be:

1) Too strong a grip;
2) Closed stance;
3) Body not turning and hands rolling over too fast;
4) Ball position; etc

Better to get a Pro to take a look and identify your problem.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

not enough weight transfer to front foot
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Ha, this is an interesting and a classic question and I'm surprised at the number of responses it has garnered without the TS uploading a video of his swing. ROFL Even guys seeking advice from Michael Bree and Martin Hall sends in a video of their swing before any advise could be shared.......

No offense and jokes aside guys, TS may end up tweaking more than his setup, address, grip, swing path, impact and follow through after experimenting with the whole host of consultation contributed. 

My only advise is go see a swing coach if you really want to fix that hook, good luck in your journey to unhinge that hook Beer
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 am

Understand ball flight laws if you want to tweak your hook.

Find a coach.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 am

Just to clarify, are you

Hooking ... Ball starts toward the right then curves left violently
Pulling ... Ball starts left and goes relatively straight
Pull Hook ... Ball starts left and curves violent left

Resolving a pull vs resolving a hook is very different. The diagnosis needs to be correct otherwise you could be trying out the wrong tips
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 am

Derek wrote:
Just to clarify, are you

Hooking ... Ball starts toward the right then curves left violently
Pulling ... Ball starts left and goes relatively straight
Pull Hook ... Ball starts left and curves violent left

Resolving a pull vs resolving a hook is very different. The diagnosis needs to be correct otherwise you could be trying out the wrong tips

Bro, you forgot the extreme one, nowadays there are all sorts of extreme games. Very Happy 

Snap hook ... Ball stays low to the ground curving extremely left within 100 metres.
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 am

What about the duck hook, double cross?

They say hooking is one step before hitting the ball better, congrats in advance
Back to top Go down
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MLP

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 am

to solve your hook problem, you can..
1. bend over more - this steepens your swing arc so that you are not swinging as much around
2. swing steeper
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am

flog-er wrote:

Yo mate, then u gotta seriously look into a 2nd optional fm another coach.Rolling Eyes 
My humble suggestg.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flog-er
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
flog-er wrote:

Yo mate, then u gotta seriously look into a 2nd optional fm another coach.Rolling Eyes 
My humble suggestg.Very Happy
Bro

Thanks for your advice. I will clarify from him the next time I see him
Back to top Go down
lohchunkhai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 pm

skybobo wrote:
flog-er wrote:

If body turn faster than arms......isn't it more of a slice than hook?

ya i agree with skybobo . i have been dwelling on slicing and hooking for 5-6 years. everytime my swing goes haywire and the ball hooks , i will remind myself to always rotate the hip first before hitting the ball. in other words,  there must be a lag between hitting the balls and rotating ur hips. the latter will precede the former to fix hooking.
Back to top Go down
lohchunkhai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 pm

the other possible problem is that u may have used too much of ur forearm or hand to swing the ball instead of ur shoulder to swing it through Smile
Back to top Go down
lohchunkhai
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 pm

owh ya n im no pro , just sharing wt my pro has taught me over the many years haha hope that helps u bro Smile
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Denis

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Not sure if its applicable to u...my case,  I hook whenever i fall back.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:50 pm

My coach told me to release the club, i.e. to "throw" it. This reduces the risk of pulling the club too sharply back which can lead to a hook.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Technospaz wrote:
My coach told me to release the club, i.e. to "throw" it. This reduces the risk of pulling the club too sharply back which can lead to a hook.

You throw I catch I keep. Your clubs all good clubs!tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem of constant hooking   Problem of constant hooking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem of constant hooking
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next