Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?

Go down 
+4
Bear
greenteaz
Technospaz
ken23
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi wish to play at Johor Golf & Country Club as it is nearest golf course after the causeway.
May I know any bros and sis recently played there? How much is it?
Appreciate it if you could do a short review of the course and its conditions whether it is a walking or buggy course ?
Many thanks!

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Walking course but you'll be assigned a caddy. Closest to the First Causeway (Woodlands). 

Course fees (if you book via Golfgreedy) is about $45 (it's an auction, check out the site for information) for weekends. There are usually only 2 slots for Saturday morning. This fee does not include a caddy tip of about RM50-70.

It's a great course. One of my favourites. Hard, because it's long and hilly but really enjoyable. If you want exercise and don't mind the trek, it's great. 

Course conditions are acceptable. If it's been raining, however, the course can get muddy. Irrigation isn't the best so plugged balls are common. A lot boils down to whether you get a good caddy. The better ones have eagle eyes and give fantastic advice. The newer ones... not so much.
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

can we just carry our own bag and not have the caddy?
Back to top Go down
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Many thanks TS for the for your valuable input. But I will have to log in to Golf Greedy to get my PW and user id first......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

greenteaz wrote:

I don't think so. I think you must use a caddy. I could be mistaken though but I've never seen anyone without a caddy.
Back to top Go down
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:49 pm

greenteaz wrote:

I don't think so that we can carry our own bags as the club's policy is to hire a caddy if i'm not wrong.
Back to top Go down
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Also, it is compulsory to wear long pants for the guys.... that is what i read from the club's R&R. Is it true?
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:57 pm

My fight mate and me wore proper golf berms. Bermudas with side pockets (cargo berms) are not permitted.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm

ken23 wrote:
Also, it is compulsory to wear long pants for the guys.... that is what i read from the club's R&R. Is it true?

It used to be the case when it was previously known as the Royal Johor Golf & Country Club. It no longer has Royal patronage in that sense which is why it's now just Johor Golf & Country Club.

So, you can skip the long pants. I would encourage you to do so because it's hot and walking around with long pants for 18 holes can be murder.

I play with golf shorts. Easy and fuss free Smile
Back to top Go down
ken23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks guys for all of your advice. Will seriously consider to play one day...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

greenteaz wrote:
This course, u definitely don't wanna to carry your own bag....trust me.

It's a very cheapest competition course in sg and johor liao.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Do take note the Green Fees DO NOT include caddy tip. People tell me tip minimum RM50. You can tip him more if you feel he's good. 

Also. try to NOT leave any valuebles in ur golf bag. Best to bring a pouch u can carry with u at all times. There have been many cases of caddies stealing money and other things from golf bags. 

Its soggy during the wet periods but when its dry like now, it can be pretty nice. Firm fairways. so ur drives will roll alot. Greens are pretty decent now. But majority of the greens are quite small and elevated. 

Oh.. not really advisable to use spikeless shoes there unless it hasn't rained for awhile. hehe. 

Oh.. and another thing most ppl don't know about this course. the distance markers are set to the FRONT OF GREEN! Ask caddy to give u distance to the pin. Greens are firm and dun bite. Try landing ur shots in front of the greens and release to the pins. 

Have a good game. Smile
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

abadan wrote:
Do take note the Green Fees DO NOT include caddy tip. People tell me tip minimum RM50. You can tip him more if you feel he's good. 

Also. try to NOT leave any valuebles in ur golf bag. Best to bring a pouch u can carry with u at all times. There have been many cases of caddies stealing money and other things from golf bags. 

Its soggy during the wet periods but when its dry like now, it can be pretty nice. Firm fairways. so ur drives will roll alot. Greens are pretty decent now. But majority of the greens are quite small and elevated. 

Oh.. not really advisable to use spikeless shoes there unless it hasn't rained for awhile. hehe. 

Oh.. and another thing most ppl don't know about this course. the distance markers are set to the FRONT OF GREEN! Ask caddy to give u distance to the pin. Greens are firm and dun bite. Try landing ur shots in front of the greens and release to the pins. 

Have a good game. Smile
To add on, the distance is measure in yards not metres. Also the green speed on the tee box of the 1st tee always put 8.5 but I suspect it's more than that and quite a lot more, maybe 10.0 and above? Lastly, to those who got water phobia, this course I think got the least water hazard around but when the water is there, it's always in play, cannot siam type.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I am a member to Johor G & CC and play there regularly on Saturday morning. It is compulsory to hire a caddy and if there is shortage of caddies, the caddy master will arrange for the caddy to carry 2 bags (so try to lighten your bag by whatever means). However, if the golfer does not wish to have a shared caddy, then he has the option to hire a trolley and pull himself. Be warned that this is a hilly course and you have to be physically fit to enjoy the course. I have seen visitors getting cramps, giving up before completion of the 18 holes.
As for golfwear, proper short golf pants (no tennis shorts please) are now allowed. The prohibited ones are cargo pants i.e those with lots of outside pockets (long or short also cannot), jeans, pants with drawstrings.
Get you booking through Golf Greedy as the rates are better.
The roughs at some holes are really thick and it will be good to bring sufficient balls. If you enjoy walking golf, then this is the best there is in JB.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 am

The course is well maintain. They just turf sand the green and it a lot better now. Well, most probably they will saying that Iskandar Open 2013 will be hosted in Johor Country Club this year, thus the course will have to be championship ready. A great news for us to see Sergio Garcia depending his title here. 

The course is challenging yet enjoyable, if you can play well and get good score here you should have no problem playing other courses. A lot of season players like to play this walking course. This club also groom the johor state junior players. 

I am a member of Johor G & CC and play there regularly too. Wear short pants or long pants are fine, as mention previously by some GRs here, avoid spikeless shoes especially during wet day, also the terrain is undulating so spike shoes hold your footwork much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?   Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone played at Johor Golf & Country Club recently?
Page 1 of 1