Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are you using an effective putting stroke?

Go down 
+6
Duval_S
Vinny
Derek
bogeyman72
herpderp
jason.koh.54966
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

Are you using an effective putting stroke?  Empty
PostSubject: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 am

Hi all,

Just curious, how do the most of us put? By having ball middle of our stance, arms slightly bent forming the triangle and using the right shoulder back and left shoulder forward, i.e rocking motion? Is this the most effective method?

Would like to hear from u guys, Cheers! cheers
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
herpderp

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

i usually use a pool cue when no one is looking. highly effective
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

lol!

Are you using an effective putting stroke?  793680Are you using an effective putting stroke?  793680

herpderp wrote:
i usually use a pool cue when no one is looking. highly effective
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am

Hi Jason, if those are your thoughts during putting, it is going to be really difficult to putt well. When my putting was at it's ABSOLUTE WORST, my thoughts were filled with the type of stroke I should be making and what body and hand positions I should have.

Have you ever experienced when trying to make a 5 foot putt for double par or worse, you can just step up, with 1 leg (usually left for a right handed putter) in front, and just casually roll the ball dead into the center of the hole? However, when faced with the same putt for par or even worse, birdie, you stand there, go through a million thouhts about what you need to do correctly, then miss the putt? Sometimes by a huge amount?

If you have experienced that ... doesn't it make you wonder why?

I generally go with move the putter head in the direction you want the ball to go and if I were to focus on anything, it is a spot about 6 inches in front of the ball that I want to send it over. As for the type of stroke, just use whatever feels most natural to you that will allow you to consistently move the putter head (and the ball) in the desired direction.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am

IMHO, buy a good putting mat (with thick carpet ones, NOT the cloth type), start putting 60 balls every night before you sleep...... once you sink the 60 putts consitently at 80% hit rate WITH your eyes CLOSED, confirmed you will be putting better....

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Totally agree with Derek ~ to each their own, the last thing you need is flood your head with all kinds of swing thoughts and putting techniques during a 18 hole round. Unfortunately, rolling the ball consistently on a putting mat does not transcend to rolling the ball into the cup on the greens because each green is set up differently with so much variables and considerations.......

How many of us here actually enjoy a round of golf with much success when you go on the course without any expectations and swing thoughts vs cluttering your brain with all kinds of swing techniques and putting motion ~ please "kee chew".....?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

I am definitely not having an effective stroke coz i take too many putts.....

I thnk my problem is that I have an open stance setup and I am not smooth as in tempo

but luckily I been lucky sometimes....to compensate for my ineffective stroke
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 pm

If there is a putting clinic ... let us know
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Thank u all for sharing your thoughts, appreciated!
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

Hi, do check out justin han's SSN.
Sometimes he conduct putting clinic.
I have benefited from it since.
Was struggling to putt, but after the clinic i understand what has gone wrong.
Now i can see my putting line again. All thanks to justin!
Smile
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 am

Recently, I was taught to try looking at the pin rather than the ball after squaring up the putter to get the feel basically not looking at ball when I ready to put. Somehow by doing that, I can put really well, with pretty good distance control and the ball consistently withing 3-4 feets around the pin .......so now I use this method to practise putting and follow by the normal way of keeping head still after putting a few times with eyes on the pin instead of the ball.....
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 9:09 am

for me, i focus on the pin and the path that the ball gonna roll. it works for me
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 am

I focus on the following when putting:

1. Align clubface to a spot about 1 foot in front of the ball.
2. Ball in the middle of my stance.
3. Rhythmic stroke with no noticeable accleration or deceleration.
4. Same grip pressure throughout the stroke (I noticed that my clubface will waver and thus change my ball direction if I even slightly tighten my grip on the down swing).
5. No body movement.

Hope this help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you using an effective putting stroke?    Are you using an effective putting stroke?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you using an effective putting stroke?
Page 1 of 1