Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Course Mngt - Need your help

Go down 
+15
S70B
sunny
frosTEE
jimmychoo
Ssquirrel
siaw8
SIMBA
Technospaz
DGman
shotah
mUAr_cHEe
slinger
kopiO
Duval_S
Khorkar
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Strategy to beat S70B = take away his 8 iron. Smile

For me, I try to use different club to hit the same distance. For example my PW gives me 100m, so I will use my 9-5 to get the same distance, but just with different swing and whether full club or choke down. Very useful expecially in a course where there is a lot of trees.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Course mgmt starts from knowing the elements too.

So Shotah, its been raining for 2 days. Hows' Warren going to be? Soggy or with excellent drainage? Greens - will they be bumpy because they wun be mowed closer or still the same? Razz
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Dun worry lah.... its has one of the better drainage system, the most is buggy on track. Its only monday, I bet it will be sunny for the next two days, especially wed morning.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Topic OFF

Weather Forcast
Wednesday
8 Jul 2009 Hi: 29°Lo: 25°
There is a 0% chance of precipitation. Partly cloudy. Hot, Humid. Temperature of 29°C. Winds SSW 18km. Humidity will be 73% with a dewpoint of 24° and feels-like temperature of 34°C.

Last edited by jimmychoo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Great advice S70B--simple and effective if followed!

Smile

CK
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

another hole yesterday...off the range finder..hole is 134 to the pin. wind was blowing front and right to left. normal 8 iron 135 metres.

what do you think i should use...

Dgman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm

I would go with the 7 iron and choke it a little as this gives me more control. Play it slightly to the right to cater for the wind (how far right depends on the wind). Need to be careful to control the shot. With a short iron, greater chance of spin.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Sounds like the 3rd hole.

Driver?

haha, kidding. :p. Depends on your tendencies. If you are a natural drawer of the ball, better ride the wind and take more club. If you fade the ball, u can try your luck with holding it against the wind (normally, wind always wins Razz ) Take more club too.

Where you tee the ball also matters. If we are toking about the 3rd hole, a drawer will be better off teeing off from the left side and hitting his natural shot. If u fade, take the right side and hit it at the flag. If its ur natural shot, u will be straight at the hole. If the wind takes it over, left fringe ain't so bad.

Do note that any headwind doubles the amount of side spin. If u normally draw the ball 10yds, a headwind will double that curve. Same goes for a fader. A fader will suffer more as it already loses more distance.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I agree, boss. I tend to have a natural draw (almost) but only with longer clubs. For shorter irons, I believe that I'm more accurate. So, I'll play the 7i, choked of course. I'm concerned that taking the 8i will cause my ball to lose speed and trajectory due to the higher loft.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 pm

2 more points:

1- Just because its headwind, doesn't mean you hit it harder. You only generate more spin and your shot will fly higher and might even be shorter than a standard shot.

2- When you take more club, dun baby or chicken out on the shot. You will get nowhere. choke down, and hit thru the ball to a proper follow thru with the same conviction.
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Talking about course management in golf its like never ending always learn n learn. Last Sat i really had a very very gd lesson from S70B its something that i will never get to learn in such a short time. End of the day play more golf and understand the nature. Stay focus play easy.

REX thanks!! for the wonderful lesson !
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Depending on the wind, I will take extra club, choke down and hit a punching shot. If it's an island green, I will pray hard. Wink
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm

exactly...i didn't even choke down, just hit a smooth 7 iron and whosh its on..the 17th hole, not the toughest of the par 3s but a crucial hole if you want to play a good score. the definition of a smooth 7 is a slower takeaway but making sure that i turn the shoulder till it reach my chin and release with conviction.

so course management is a matter of getting the best percentages and playing to a score that you have preset in your mind. just follow the strategy and you will end up with a decent score.

if i am playing match play and my opponent is in the water, i will aim to the safe part of the par 3 and play for a possible par or definite bogey.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Been to the den today and had good conversation with DG, Slinger and KT. Interesting conversation on what I do and shouldn't in the course. I have a lot to learn. Summarised them in my new signatures. Looking forward to try them out this coming week.

Thank you for all your advice. I am more determined now to improve...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:07 pm

good summary.....

one more point...

whatever happens don't throw club because you may damage the club (and you will have to come and look for me and get poisoned) but the score will not change.

so blame yourself, run round a tree and try to kick your own ass or take a deep breathe, smile, move on to the next hole and think positive instead of feeling sorry for yourself.

DGman
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 7:31 am

DGman wrote:
so blame yourself, run round a tree and try to kick your own ass

i like this one alot...

i will try it the next time...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 am

DGman wrote:
whatever happens don't throw club

always respect your equipment. you can drop it but never throw it.

i learnt it the hard way.

my coach made me play tennis without my racket for 2 training sessions. i had to do the same drills and play games with my squad mates without my racket. It sounds funny and looks funny. but trust me, when you are the one not holding the racket, it is not funny at all.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:13 am

At the end of the day, you just have to reflect on your score and ask yourself if those blown holes can be avoided. I always keep my lousy score card in my golf pouch so as to remind myself. "DONT MAKE STUPID MISTAKES AGAIN".

Thats why sometimes i feel betting is important. So of us will never learn until our pocket gets burn.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

DGman wrote:
good summary.....

one more point...

whatever happens don't throw club because you may damage the club (and you will have to come and look for me and get poisoned) but the score will not change.

so blame yourself, run round a tree and try to kick your own ass or take a deep breathe, smile, move on to the next hole and think positive instead of feeling sorry for yourself.

DGman

Hear hear!

As for the kicking your own ass part, if anyone tries this and can't reach their ass, I'm more than happy to help out. Just bend down and say "when."
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Khorkar wrote:
My Mantra for Next Game

Rule 1 - Short Game and Putting is NO 1
Rule 2 - Take 1 club more and hit with Conviction....
Rule 3 - Don't worry about Other's score, Play own GAME...
Rule 4 - Target is Bogey Game....
Rule 5 - Beh Sai CHEONG Liao....
Rule 6 - Think about your next when taking the 1st shot....

Finally, RELAX and Enjoy the game with company of good friends....

Wah lau eh...
So many things to remember??? affraid
What about backswing, midswing, follow through swing thoughts???

Wun headache meh? hahaha... Razz

Here's my advice... "Hit Hard; Look Up!" hehehehe Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 pm

Technospaz wrote:
DGman wrote:
good summary.....

one more point...

DGman

Hear hear!

As for the kicking your own ass part, if anyone tries this and can't reach their ass, I'm more than happy to help out. Just bend down and say "when."

When... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Khorkar wrote:
My Mantra for Next Game

Rule 1 - Short Game and Putting is NO 1
Rule 2 - Take 1 club more and hit with Conviction....
Rule 3 - Don't worry about Other's score, Play own GAME...
Rule 4 - Target is Bogey Game....
Rule 5 - Beh Sai CHEONG Liao....
Rule 6 - Think about your next when taking the 1st shot....

Finally, RELAX and Enjoy the game with company of good friends....

Wah lau eh...
So many things to remember??? affraid
What about backswing, midswing, follow through swing thoughts???

Wun headache meh? hahaha... Razz

Here's my advice... "Hit Hard; Look Up!" hehehehe Twisted Evil

Mine's 'Hit it hard, look for it and then...hit it again.' Razz
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Honestly there isnt any particular right or wrong way to play a shot. If you can use a Driver and chip the ball 50m, with a 90% chance of getting it close to the pin. Go for it man!!!
Or if you can use a putter to clear 200m, 0% of the time, good for you!!! Go for it!!!

I didn't take golf seriously till last year in June??? And frankly, the biggest improvement came from thinking about the course backwards.

When you ask someone, what they will do on a particular fairway, chances are they will say driver, 8 iron, pw, putter.... or something along those lines. But after talking to a few better players, I discovered that they actually planned it this way from the green back to tee box.

S70B, dude, your 8i and wedges are your favorite clubs because you drive so damn far mate!... If you had to take a 3w on your second shot, then that fairway is way too long!!! I believe you are most likely to start measuring/quoting driving distance in a new way: I drive 130m... ie 500m-130..

I played a great game of golf last Friday. surprising even myself!!! Why was the skill level so much higher? Cos my playing partner told me to stop thinking about the game and hit the damn ball. In his bit to help me, he wrote the words :"Wet Pus..." on 4 locations on my ball. Making it impossible to address the ball without seeing those words.
If you can address a ball with those words on it and still be overly serious, then Golf isn't the game for you... Imagine the Caddy bring the ball back to me.. "Sir, here is your wet Puss..."

Mantra for my next game:
1. If you are taking yourself seriously on the golf course, sorry bro, you are the only one who does.
2. If you believe you can make a particular shot, give it a try!!!
3. If you lose your temper and throw a club, take a penalty. Shave off Half of 1 eye brow.
4. If you are having a hard time on the course, think of playing with a "wet" ... u know
5. Water is your friend, there is no one you can hit a person there!!!
6. Sand it good too, hitting in sand isn't as hard on the hands as hitting on the fairway.
7. Things could be worse. You could be at work instead of on a golf course.

Last edited by G_Man on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 pm

G_Man wrote:

S70B, dude, your 8i and wedges are your favorite clubs because you drive so damn far mate!... If you had to take a 3w on your second shot, then that fairway is way too long!!! I believe you are most likely to start measuring/quoting driving distance in a new way: I drive 130m... ie 500m-130..

Sorry hor, my carry distance for my drives on the course is ard 230-250M niah. Nothing tigerish about that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Wet Pus**, ha ha ha. I likey the idea. Thanks G'man. A very inspiring post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Course Mngt - Need your help
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.