Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Course Mngt - Need your help

Go down 
+15
S70B
sunny
frosTEE
jimmychoo
Ssquirrel
siaw8
SIMBA
Technospaz
DGman
shotah
mUAr_cHEe
slinger
kopiO
Duval_S
Khorkar
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Course Mngt - Need your help Empty
PostSubject: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:58 pm

I seriously sux at course management. Although my golf mateys have said that I have improved, in my mind, I still sux. Why o why I always cheong, I dont know. May be it is a self greed or competitiveness. It lands me in loads unnecessary strokes.. Sigh..

If you have any tips to part to this poor feller, please by all means...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm

At least for me, i stop betting ....coz that makes me react based on my betting mate and then common sense ...will no longer be common.

Of coz, after a while, when common sense becomes common again, then bet again....
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 10:22 pm

hard to diff between cheong and confidence lah... only time and experience can correct over-confidence...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm

k, its good to leave some clubs at home, then it will save u some strokes on the course.........

many ways to play certain holes; but do look out for the short par 4s n the long par 4s

short par 4s: course designers are not stupid, if its short, then look out for OB, water or bunkers, its a risk/reward hole, if its par u want, just play smart.....

long par 4s: if u know u cant reach on 2, why try? just play around the hazard, 3 on 2 putt..... know your limitation, be realistic about your game,

index holes: these holes are low index for a simple reason, they are tough, again just play smart.......

sometimes, actually lots of time, golf is about damage control, if u keep away from the double or triple or worst, u will keep your score down.....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 am

if you cannot get over the ego or cheonging part of you, you will not be able to attain course management...
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 am

My THeory for not cheonging = Bet Bigger in STROKE PLAY. confirm works!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 am

Bros, thanks for the advice. I need to be wise next round and think carefully before I take my next shot. Hopefully, this time around be wiser.

Shotah, cannot bet more liao. Piggie bank small liao.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:44 am

KK,

you have 190 metres to the green. there is water in front and you have to carry 175 meters to clear the water.

Assuming your full 3 wood gives you 195 metres, what do you do?

happened at the course yesterday.....

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 am

Play it short. I always choke when I see water.
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

this time i will use my most confident clubs instead of 3 woods LOL
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:46 am

If no betting and nothing to lose, use 3 wood to cheong...

If got betting and alot to lose, lay up just before the water using 6 iron:)

Personally, i will use 3 wood to cheong. At most penalty one more stroke mah. No betting, nothing involved. Why scared. haahaa.. Thats why my game never improve:)
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 am

3-wood Or Lay up

Right now, my brain is tell me to take up 3 wood. Correct?

Last edited by Khorkar on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 am

Not sure about the rest, but I will ask myself, if I need to execute the 3wd, how many out of 10m will I be decently successful? If >70%, then JUST Do IT.

If < 70%, then call for back up plan eg. layup to 100m, use hybrid to 160m assuming no water before green etc etc.

THEN, more importantly after the game...depending on the desire to train, if have desire, go train 3wd in case history repeats.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 12:00 pm

Wah... all of you 3wd so power! Summore can close club face, etc!Rolling Eyes

For me..distance short, so dun have this type of dilemma, since cannot on anyways.

what a hacker like me would do is:
1) Lay up to my favourite distance.
(Lay up also means choose a club that even if you pull left or push right, it won't reach the hazard.)

2) Divide the distance roughly into 2. e.g 190m to green.
1st shot: I hit 100m using my 100m club (errr. my 7i?)
Then I go to my ball and access again. Was the previous shot a good clean hit? If so, did I cover the 100m? If maybe only cover 90m, maybe the wind factor about 10m, so my next shot, I will factor in the 10m wind...

Something liddat lah..

I think wait for the better players to reply and listen to their advice..
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi SS,
Let me watch the repeat of AT&T tonite, and will write something more impressive eg. cut , low fade, high fade, high cut then fade.........that is the beauty of golf....easy to talk, but tough to walk the talk....hahahah

BTW, I don even have 3wd in my bag....

...DS
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:04 pm

SS, Duval

I like yr strategy. I think it makes sense. That why it makes yall a much better player and me, a lousy one. Without realising it, I make a cheong attempt without considering other options.

Sigh!!!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:23 pm

For me, it really depend,

1) Whether is a match play or stoke play. Match likely cheong, stoke likely lay up.

2) 195M is my 3 wd carry distance? If yes, got to check the wind, elevation of green and how is my 3 wood doing on that day.

3) If cheong, must really keep myself as relax as i can be and trust the swing.

4) All is just my dream, my 3 wd can only carry 170m at most. Sad
Back to top Go down
frosTEE
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
frosTEE

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Look at the surroundings e.g slope, hazards, determine the distance, think of the worst case scenerio if i happen to top the shot and prepare for recovery shot if i do happen to make a mistake.

And if you do decide to be advanturous for that day, just forget about scoring cause it will make you miserable.

Once you have enough on course experience and with good guidance, course management should not be a problem at all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm

1 pitching wedge and 1 approach wedge guarantee a 4 on and no big no....

DGman
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 pm

what if he 4 putted? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Then,.... i better take putting class...
Back to top Go down
frosTEE
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
frosTEE

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:30 pm

time to visit DGMan for putting tips Razz
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 pm

the guy i was playing went with a 3 wood and ended up with an 8. otherwise at most double B, likely Bogey or if really lucky, still can get par.

thats how i would course managed.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Beh sai cheong liao!!!! My new Mantra!!!!! Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Actually, to cheong or not depends on your skill level. If you can't hit ur 195m shot 195m 90% of the time, dun bother.

I'm posting on the basis of observing the avg player - ie 18 handicappers - PC holders.

Most of the mistakes observed are:

1. Not enuff club to get there - They think they hit 1 career 7iron 150m or 1 x 3wd 210m on the range or once on the course so that is the distance they play for. Be realistic, lower that ego and take more club.

2. Lack of understanding of loft to get over or under obstacles - I see alot of players when trying to go over trees 15-20m in front of them take out hybrids and woods or when wanting to go under tree branches take out PW or SW. Understand that loft does not cover only distance but also trajectory of the shot. You can hit ur 9i or PW 100m but can u do the same with ur 5i or hybrid? Practice more of those 3/4 shots and leave the driver bashing to another session. My 8i is about 135-140m but I always practice my punch shots with the same club for the 75,100, 125m shots to hone my feel. for pitches even for 50m, I will practice LW, AW, PW, 8i, 5i to vary the height of the shots.

3. How good is your shot game? If you know that when you cheong and its only going to be a success rate of 25% or less for that shot, you better back it up with a decent short game like pitching, bunker play and chipping cos u will most likely be doing that for the next shot.

4. I hear many here say they will lay up to their most comfortable distances. Have you practiced enuff of it? If you can't get your 'comfy distance' shot to land within 15ft of the flag 80% of the time, your comfy distance is not comfy enuff. Again, drop that big stick and pull out those short irons to practice more.

The couple of people I have been to the range with here knows that I hardly hit my long clubs at all. My 8i and wedges have the most wear on their faces because those short irons are my $ clubs.

KK, there is an endless stream of course mgmt scenarios to be in. I think its best that u play more of the game, think of a troublesome hole that bugged u and then maybe ask for certain views of the golfer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Course Mngt - Need your help   Course Mngt - Need your help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Course Mngt - Need your help
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.