Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Caddy

Go down 
+3
costajos
stickman
e_nonymus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
e_nonymus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
e_nonymus

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Just read an article about Steve Willams (current Scott's and ex-Tiger's) caddy who has caddied more than 145 wins amoung various players.

What was even more shocking to me was that he was reputed to earn more than US$12mil during his time with Tiger Shocked So after a intensive research involving 5 full miutes of google, I learnt that the average wage of a top caddy runs to 300k-500k a year.

Is his course/game knowledge more than the players? So was just wondering...what is it exactly a caddy does that warrants such a high salary?
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

To add on, how does a player pay a caddy that is from the club that he is competing in? He may have to succumb to this approach perhaps he wants to save by not having a caddy to be on his tour staff. So if he wins, does the club caddy gets a cut and what is the normal %?

I have seen some caddies giving opinions to players but for some, they just carry bags, clean clubs.

I have nothing against caddies but I just like to know the inner workings of a caddy.

So for the caddies: I also noted that caddies work under the sun and heat because they have to work. A golfer is under the same condition but the golfer is playing while the caddy is working! So 1 up for the caddies...

So any input of the inner workings of a caddy? Perhaps , it may also answer the question posts by e nonymus.

Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49fNfaJcz9I
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Adam Scott attributed his recent Masters win to Stevie his caddy, which shows how integral he was to guiding Adam's club selection, course management, green-reading, and probably most important of all - emotion management.

An experienced caddy worth his salt is sought-after and well-paid, and I doubt any pro will grudge them their due. Imagine when the caddy helps the golfer win a major...what price can you put on that? Wink
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Steve is a very experience caddy otherwise Tiger would not have used him
for so long time. Caddy 's job is not just carry bags!

First of all he has to be a golf pro, he got to do research for his golfer in advance,
he need to know the course, distance, terrain, dogleg or straight ahead, a caddy need
to survey the course before his golfer play the next day. A caddy is also like a body
guard to their Pro golfer any one who click their camera before his Pro golfer's swing will have his camera smashed.

Caddy got to pay for his own flight, food and lodging, risk of the golfer not winning
his commission of normal 10% might not be able to cover his expenses.

To be a caddy like Steve may come a long way...interview Steve next time if there 's
an opportunity.

His answer would be more than the above observation.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm

He doesn't have to be golf pro . but preferably single handicap to pro level.
You got to be very accurate on the distance you give. he is like another brain and pair of eyes for the golfer to exchange idea for lines , target and distance . the caddy try to figure out how to play the best golf course and how the undulation and grass will react with his player game.

To be a great & good caddy is to be great mental coach and make your player trust you .

To be a caddy you got to be physically fit as the bag is heavy and you walk as much if not more than the player . you got to be in attention of every element as well as make sure your player is super focus. You got to remain extremely positive to be able bring the spirit of your player higher.

Back to top Go down
mtm
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
mtm

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

I heard china caddies are quite positive too but not paid this well. I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Caddy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caddy   Caddy I_icon_minitime