Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Grip

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ifury
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf Grip Empty
PostSubject: Golf Grip   Golf Grip I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Just went to the range to work on my grip and release, may i ask the pro, where do you usually place your right thumb?

Position 1
Golf Grip Golfgrip7_L

or position 2
Golf Grip Shape-shots_299x251

Position 1,
I tend to hit down more on the ball and have a higher ball flight with a fade

Position 2,
i realise i can release better with this position with a more desirable ball flight and slight draw.

Question 2,

griping should be focused on last 3 fingers of left hand, last 2nd and 3rd finger on the right.

how much percentage as compared to the amount of right and left thumb on the grip against those 5 fingers?
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Golf Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Grip   Golf Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm not a pro but I'll share my thoughts on your matter.

Guess you've heard that everyone's swing is unique and different in their own way, well so is their grip.

Your position 1 promotes a draw type shot because of a few reasons. Being unable to release your club face at impact would leave the club face open, and any swing path with a open clubface will lead to a fade, or slice if club face is open with an over-the-top swing path. Think the reason you hit down is because your thumb is straight down the middle of the grip, which promotes a steeper angle of attack.

Position 2 is the classic grip, neither of the thumbs down the middle, both pointing away to the side or placed at the sides. This allows you to better hinge, and as you mentioned, better release through impact.

You also need to review your swing plane, if you've a natural fade caused by a steep decent or an across swing path then switch to a stronger left hand grip. vice versa for if you've a draw inclined or hook type shots.

Last thing you want to is to work on your grip without knowing your swing plane.

Good luck mate!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down

Golf Grip
Page 1 of 1