Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Going to Australia

Go down 
+7
musashi75
slazenger
jeffman88
slinger
scottycollector
Gofnut
artchang00
11 posters
AuthorMessage
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm

What would you recommend I do before I pack my golf bags?

Should I do a thorough cleaning to clear them off any mud, grass, leaves, etc that are in the bag and on the clubs? Or they are not as sticky as what I see on Border Patrol - the TV series on CI.

I know and have seen how sticky their custom officers are. Last time I was there, they went thru every single pocket in my bag. Maybe they don't like my face...

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Those guys there are serius about preventing any unwanted insects, soil, etc being brought in. And rightly so as the agricultural industry is the backbone of the economy. So I would advise that you wash and clean your golf shoes thoroughly, including the bottom, particularly the cleats, and your bag as well.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:00 pm

I've been there a few times. I've only gone through a thorough check once at their customs

But better not risk it. u never know if u'll get chosen for a thorough check. it doesn't take much effort to clean up anyway
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 pm

artchang00 wrote:
What would you recommend I do before I pack my golf bags?

Should I do a thorough cleaning to clear them off any mud, grass, leaves, etc that are in the bag and on the clubs? Or they are not as sticky as what I see on Border Patrol - the TV series on CI.

I know and have seen how sticky their custom officers are. Last time I was there, they went thru every single pocket in my bag. Maybe they don't like my face...

Thanks!

remove all the cleats n wash the shoes..... only put them back on after clearance

if can, wear spikeless shoes...

no need to give them any reasons to query....
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Good thanks. My shoes now the spikeless so it's easier to clean. Might even wear them on the plane.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm

one other way to avoid quarantine queue is not to bring any food or items that necessitates u to go that line - also zip ur cart/standbag inside a travel bag so looks v clean... then just wheel thro the "Nothing to Declare" queue and they will just wave u thro.. At most they will ask u to go thro the Xray machine otw out...

Aussie customs only do detailed checks at the quarantine queue counters
Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:26 pm

hi
i have gone through without any trouble.
when they noted they i'm bringing my golf gear, they have asked whether my shoes are cleaned.

i have also seen them soaked the soles of the golf shoes in some sort of antiseptic solution to kill whatever that sticks to the soles of the shoes.

hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm

As everyone has mentioned, the shoes are the key. I went through last time without problem by just saying that I have cleaned my shoes before they even mentioned it.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 am

I am playing in Perth now....make sure you clean your shoes, especially the soles. No soil/earth/mud etc.

Also, they will check your irons, to see if there are soil/mud on your club heads. so it's wise to clean your clubs and shoes before you pack your golf bag.

The cleaning cloth you use to wipe your clubs, also make sure it's not soiled.
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 am

freedrop wrote:
I am playing in Perth now....make sure you clean your shoes, especially the soles. No soil/earth/mud etc.

Also, they will check your irons, to see if there are soil/mud on your club heads. so it's wise to clean your clubs and shoes before you pack your golf bag.

The cleaning cloth you use to wipe your clubs, also make sure it's not soiled.

Hi Freedrop,

you are playing in perth now? have you visited all the courses in the stretch of mandurah?

The Cut is a must play Smile
Port kennedy and Secret harbour links are good too Smile
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I have played most of the courses at Mandurah in my previous trips - Secret Harbour, Kenndy Bay, The Cut, Meadow Springs.

Have also played the others like Joodalup, The Vines, Araluen, Bursewood, Hartfield.

This time is a short business trip so I only played a public course this morning nearby Perth City called Collier Park. A$30 green fee, but the course is as good as MBGC. But still enjoyable, the Par 5s are short, less than 500m, greens are fast, like 11.

Back to top Go down
pakleow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pakleow

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I saw this a bit late, but nevertheless for those that may go later...

As I wear studless, it is quite easy to clean them. I also wear a pair when I board as it act as my general shoes.

Spend $5 to wash yor club at the golf drop off at NSRCC Changi or Kranji, you won't have any issue.

BTW, for the people who have played at Seletar Base and if you rememeber Robert Fong the marshall, he lives in Perth now. He can introduce you to all the local courses that is very reasonable (A$30 range). If you know him and need his contact, PM me. I normally avoid the courses like Vines, Joondalup, Meadow Springs as they are price on the top end. Played them once for experience Smile
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Oh yeah, Collier Park is a great public golf course. Back in the days, as a student I only paid $15 to go a round of 18H. Greens are always quicker than Sth East Asia for sure, but Collier greens tend to have a lot of twigs as the course is surrounded by tall pine trees.

Next time you are in Perth, you can try Melville Glades Golf Club Smile
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Rule of thumb. Never bring cooked food in. Or if u wanna bring food, bring it in another box, shld they decide to check. U have the option to ditch it all to save time.

Cheers mate. Have a good trip.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 am

9points wrote:
Oh yeah, Collier Park is a great public golf course. Back in the days, as a student I only paid $15 to go a round of 18H. Greens are always quicker than Sth East Asia for sure, but Collier greens tend to have a lot of twigs as the course is surrounded by tall pine trees.

Next time you are in Perth, you can try Melville Glades Golf Club Smile

Yes the lightning greens in Collier Park costs me a couple of birdies. Overall it's not a difficult course, At least 2 of the Par 5s are reachable in 2. Fairways are wide enough, and although I was warned about waters (I played Island and Lake), they are not that intimidating.

Will try Melville Glades next time.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Going to Australia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to Australia   Going to Australia I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going to Australia
Page 1 of 1