Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hey all, new beginner here!

Go down 
+14
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
93vtec
kayjay
Bear
Derek
chip_munkie
pippin
Match84
raw84
tonnyfong
TK
kenneth18
willytan
Neuralvibe
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Neuralvibe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hey all, new beginner here! Empty
PostSubject: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 am

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hi to everyone out here. Am a complete beginner who has just started taking golf lessons at Keppel, so will be keen to learn from all the seasoned and experienced golfing vets here.

Have fun golfing all, and cya all nxt time for a game or two.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 am

Welcome, here is a place to kick start a serious addiction.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 am

Hi, welcome to this wonderful forum. I also took up my beginner class at keppel 4 years ago, keppel is a nice place.
Back to top Go down
TK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TK

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:09 am

welcome! enjoy this wonderful game!
Back to top Go down
tonnyfong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am

Welcome! Good to have you joining us here!
Back to top Go down
raw84
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome! 6 months beginner here too

My humble advise is practice more, read more and play on green more.

Just ah!
Back to top Go down
Match84
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Match84

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm

welcome to GR cheers
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Welcome to gr Smile
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 am

welcome welcome!! Smile cheers
Back to top Go down
Neuralvibe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 am

Ah thanks all for the warm welcomes, feel right at home already haha.

Anyway, as I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand set of irons just to practise on my own, would like to hear all of your advice. Been skimming through the forums and narrowed it down to,

Callaway X-20s
Taylormade R9 / Burner

Is there any major difference between these two? I'm about to complete my 7th lesson, and think I can hit the ball pretty ok now .. at least using the 7irons to get about 100yards maybe 2 out of 5 times.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Neuralvibe,

I am normally the biggest proponent of buying used irons as your first set (for various reasons, in other threads in this forum).

However, some of the deals out there for new iron sets are really good right now.

I would think that the Callaway X-22 ($399) with graphite shafts from Golf Bargains @ Suntec (see the other thread on this for the poster ad) is a really good price for a brand new set that you can use for a while and if you decide to change later, can still hold value if you sell it off.

If you have already identifiend X-20 as something you like, you might want to take a look at these.
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 am

Neuralvibe wrote:
Ah thanks all for the warm welcomes, feel right at home already haha.

Anyway, as I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand set of irons just to practise on my own, would like to hear all of your advice. Been skimming through the forums and narrowed it down to,

Callaway X-20s
Taylormade R9 / Burner

Is there any major difference between these two? I'm about to complete my 7th lesson, and think I can hit the ball pretty ok now .. at least using the 7irons to get about 100yards maybe 2 out of 5 times.

I started off with X-20. Used it for about a year or so. It was a good set for me at that time. I tried a friend's TM Burner a few times at the range. Back then I didn't see/feel any different. Both gave me similar distance (both were on steel shaft) and both looked good at address.

You wont go wrong with either set. I think it comes down to which you prefer in terms of aesthetics or which brand you prefer.

Have fun shopping!

Edit: I missed out that u mentioned TM R9. It is different from both burner and X-20.

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
kayjay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm

me too welcome!
Back to top Go down
tonnyfong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm

hello guys welcome! Very Happy

I previously used a Taylor Made Burner HT irons with stiff graphite shaft. Very forgiving and yet the sole isn't that thick. Quite glad my dad bought it for me as my first set of clubs.

Used that for 3 years from a seasoned beginner to breaking 90. I don't think the irons could be found already though. I still have it but haven't decided to sell it yet. lol.

I think burner wont go wrong. you can find good deals in the marketplace here.

cheers!
Back to top Go down
93vtec
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm

If you are looking for the Taylormade Burners, you should check out Golf Direct. Their CNY sales last week had a couple of Burner series selling for $399 up. Not sure if the sales are still on.
Back to top Go down
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:12 am

Welcome cheers
Back to top Go down
chloe.c
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Hihi.. keppel is near harbourfront side isit?? Any coaches to recommend?
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:10 pm

To the relatively new people here. Happy shopping and golfing. Remember to stay away from 100plus and drink H2o instead. Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
nzkiwi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Chloe - At Keppel I'd recommend Lee Carrington. I've been going to her for a while and it's done wonders for my game.
Back to top Go down
markdylan
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
markdylan

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 pm

welcome..enjoy ur game..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey all, new beginner here!   Hey all, new beginner here! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hey all, new beginner here!
Page 1 of 1