Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing

Go down 
+4
jason.koh.54966
Slicer51
stickman
TK
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TK

Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing Empty
PostSubject: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 am

Rory McIlroy swing video
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Just saw the clip and TK, it's nice of you to share here.

Now, I am more confuse ....the commentator mentioned that Rory's driver and iron swing is some what a little different (flat for driver and steeper for short iron). The club shaft butt to the pelvis area has a different gap distance also.

I was taught that the swing should be the same for all clubs and the gap distance between the club shaft butt to the pelvis area should be just abot the same also.

So I am seeing stars now...... Question Arrow Question

I need Idea sunny Idea

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm

stickman wrote:

Now, I am more confuse ....the commentator mentioned that Rory's driver and iron swing is some what a little different (flat for driver and steeper for short iron). The club shaft butt to the pelvis area has a different gap distance also.

I was taught that the swing should be the same for all clubs and the gap distance between the club shaft butt to the pelvis area should be just abot the same also.

I need Idea sunny Idea

Sorry bro, I was told. One should swing up at the ball when using driver, iron hit down and long wood sweep it. It sure does not sound to be the same swing though.

Now, I am confused too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 pm

don't think swing plane can be the same for both driver and irons...Driver plane should be flatter compared to irons...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm

A large part of this really depends on how you define "same swing".

Some parts of the swing do not change, e.g. the sequencing of the different motions required to swing a club

However, because golf clubs come in different lengths and lie angles, causing us to adopt different setup positions relative to the ball, i.e. at the most basic level standing further away from the ball with FW wood compared to a wedge, it is going to result in different swing planes even if you move your body in the same way ...

Some golfers will feel their body behaves the same, so to them it is the "same swing" ...

Other golfers will feel the position of the club is different, hence "different swing"

Both might actually be doing something very similar

Now, whether this information helps you to swing more consistently is another matter enitrely
Back to top Go down
mrunix97
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
stickman wrote:

I need Idea sunny Idea

Sorry bro, I was told. One should swing up at the ball when using driver, iron hit down and long wood sweep it. It sure does not sound to be the same swing though.

Now, I am confused too Very Happy

this is exactly the same with what i was told by one of the pro i have met,,,,
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 pm

I think we may be overly complicating it

If we consciously have differernt swings for different clubs, then we could find ourselves in trouble. In theory, it should be same swing. Of course I'm not denying there may be some players who manage to play the game to a decent level of proficiency with different swings.

The length of the club and the position of the ball at address will automatically set our address position for a steeper swing plan for iron vs a flatter swing plane or driver / woods

And for driver, since the ball is rather far forward of center and the ball is teed up, then naturally we should be hitting it on the up swing.

That's my view.

Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

It's actually the same swing except the ball position which is on the left foot except centre of the stance which make Rory go a bit flatter .In addition with the driver he will have a wider stance and more hip speed to generate more power .

But the swing mechanic as shoulder turn , posture , grip , arm and body sequence is the same . it all depend on ball position and length of the club as well as with the driver your on the tee and trying up on the ball but with iron you hitting down on the ball and there isn't any tee which make it a steeper . But the swing should adapt from 1 club to another . it'll make the game too hard and it's already hard enough
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing   Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rory McIlroy Driver vs iron swing
Page 1 of 1