Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???

Go down 
+6
S70B
mowen
Khorkar
Technospaz
Lamts18
Duval_S
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone had the chance to play pro-AM or with very berry goodl golfer ie scratch?

Just wondering how far off is these guys standard and where is the biggest gap between them and yours?

For me, just managed to play with single handicapper.....except for below, we are quite the same:

#1 Drive: He is like one PW further than mine
#2: Short game: One chip, one putt.....most of the times for the single HC....me is dependent on the heng-ness factor
#3 putting: max max 2 putt as long as on green
#4 Fairway wood: Preferred club for par 5 for Single HC. For me, trying not to learn how to pronounce fairway wood....

....DS
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:10 pm

ha... i played with MM, S70B... the distance is sky and land.. only in my next life can i hopefully play as near ..but i think only 33% is good enough liao... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Many moons ago, I had the chance to play with a schoolmate of mine who went into professional golf. I was playing a 24 (or more) while he was 2 or 3 (if not lower). In all respects, I agree with DS.

Drive: Straight and long. Sometimes, not as long as I would've thought but straight and consistent for sure.
Short game: Consistent. He could read the course like the back of his hand and knew the distances to the cm.
Putting: Pretty consistent too. I recall that he had a 3 putt for one of the holes but I think he was just trying not to make me look like a complete idiot.
Fairway woods: I don't recall him using that many fairway woods but his long irons were really good. No issues.
Bunkers: He was pretty awesome. Almost like those pros on TV.

All in all, it was a good reminder of how some people do really well in a sport while others just post stuff on forums about them.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Have played with 2 young pros. Common denomination that I see in them is the consistency in their drives, confidence in irons as in anything within 150m is mostly to be ON. Chip is on worst case is less than 4 ft. Bunker game is tok kong. Firm and precise putting a big. My aim is improve my short game!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:16 pm

these people trained from young plus they are gifted with good hand eye synchronization ... for the rest, esp me... resigned to mediocre golf.. just enjoy the fresh air and scenery ...
人比人,氣死人。
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
these people trained from young plus they are gifted with good hand eye synchronization ... for the rest, esp me... resigned to mediocre golf.. just enjoy the fresh air and scenery ...
人比人,氣死人。

Yes, yes and also cutting the grass....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:23 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
人比人,氣死人。

Beer cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 am

Khorkar wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
人比人,氣死人。

Hey, cutting grass is a good profession Razz
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:23 am

I have a few experience with scratch player eg.. S70B , our club champion player who is only 17 years old and Poh EW from tpy range .

All of them have huge drives !!!

Pars to them is a norm. Birdies will surely exsist in their score cards and Par 5s they will have a chance to put it 2 on...

Duff and Top are like a hole in one ... quite rare ...

That a goal i like to achieve so that next time my name also will be in this thread .... hahahaha
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 11:47 am

My dear Mowen, Dun worry bro, your name is going to be in this thread sooner than u think since u r officially a single handicapper liao. Razz

Geoff S and Choo TH are 2 players we should be reading about more soon in the near future.

Thanks to Eric I had a game with CR the Asian tour player too. I would like the accuracy in his drives. Very straight.

Played with kiwi Michael Long in a pro-am eons ago at TMCC in the 90s. Same kinda long game as CR but he had a better short game back then. He was an up-and-coming golfer then and was destined for the big stage on the PGA Tour. Dunno what happened to him now. Heard he's on the Von Nida Tour back down under.

Even good players have ups and downs.
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Played with some local pros, Aus pros, US pros, club champions and our National players.
They beat me, a monthend warrior in every aspect of the game.( talk abt the obvious! )
From driving to putting... Every shot is carefully executed.
Best experiences I had and the cheapest is to play in the Singapore National Amateur.
S$100 for 2 rounds!... Played in 4 of these and the last was in 2007. I am no longer able to play competitively.. The other way is to play in as many competitions as possible and the experience is really different from your normal social rounds. And yes, you will be a better player... Wink
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 am

played with all kinds of pro...but i think playing with the lpga players allows the average golfer to learn more especially if they tee off the same T-box as you do and you can learn how they course manage and use their longer irons, fw and hybrids.

the difference is from the 150m or less approach shots...all tight within a 10 foot radius and their shot game is sharp. plus they are highly competitive and with a bet, it gets interesting.

3 versus one and we still lose....

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:06 pm

I played one practice hole in Perth once with Christie Kerr who won the US Women's Open in 2007. She spends a lot of time practicing her short game skills as this is where the better player have an advantage over the others--all of them can hit 260-290 metres from the tees.

Stood right next to Nat & Paula once for about an hour while they gave advice to Singapore HSBC Juniors. When Paula was younger and her friends were at social parties and watching movies, she would spend her weekends on the driving range or putting greens.

Tells you what personal sacrifices they made and the amount of hard work they had to do to become the some of the world best golfers.

I agree with DGman, watching LPGA players is less intimidating for most amateurs who want to improve their overall golf skills. Beside, some are really cute in their golf skirts.

CK
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

actually, my game took a turn when i was playing with this 62 year old man in Tanjong Puteri. I believe I have told this story to alot of my mates in BFG. When i was standing at the tee-box with him, my customers told me he is a 8 or 9 handicapper and when i saw him tee off, I almost fainted and his tee shot was like, "CRAP". low flying, from left to right and the most 160m. So i tee off and i was like 210m. but at the end of the day, he par that hole (400m par 4) and i double bogeyed and the same scenario happen for the rest of the day. SO he came back with like 4 over and he hardly got a GIR through out the game.

But he always make sure he one chip and one putt.... so after that incident, i keep reminding myself to practise short game. Dun think of making a par when you are not sure whether you will bogey that hole or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???   Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone played Pro-Am or with real really good golfer ie scratch???
Page 1 of 1