Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to practice short game in the driving range?

Go down 
+14
willytan
jlim8813
babolat
chihheng
Begbie
ahnah
Denmeister
Happy Feet
NikeN
scottycollector
audi
Ssquirrel
enwee
lionwoods
18 posters
AuthorMessage
lionwoods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

how to practice short game in the driving range? Empty
PostSubject: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Finally, my driver shot broke 200m in my last game, was very happy Very Happy . However, my score still was not improved still. Because of the short game... lousy wedge shoot and chipping; at least 3 putts for each hole...... Sad
I am wondering how to practice short game in the driving range to improve the accuracy?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Choose different targets and try to go as near as possible with a wedge.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Just practise putting at the putting green...

If you 2 putt instead of 3 putt each hole.. you'd have cut 18 strokes...
Biggest bang for the buck there...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:04 pm

practice chipping first bro. if you can chip near to the pin, then putting will be much easier. 1 or 2 putts max.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 pm

also depends on how many GIRs you usually have per round. If your GIR is on the low side, then you may want to practise your chips more, in order to 1 chip 1 putt. easier to improve chipping than iron accuracy (for GIR).

not practical to practise chipping at driving range. so just practise at home chipping into a basket / net or onto a mat. also, try to do more bump and run with Pw / Sw, rather than flop shots with Lw.
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm

i found this video very useful on 50m play. Sorry, its in chinese. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm

watch Mloy......sure improve
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:

Totally agree with Ssquirrel there.
Here's a tip that my coach taught me which I am using to great effect.

After confirming the line of the putt, stand to the side of your ball and take 4 practice swings to find the correct strength of your stroke.
1. do a swing that will go past the hole
2. do a swing that will be short of the hole
3. With the knowledge of the two swings above, do a swing which falls inside of these two swings that should be enough to reach the hole
4. Practice this swing one more time.

Then set up and go.

I seldom three putt with this routine.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm

thats a good tip. i will try it
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks for sharing .. very easy to understand in mandarin.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:

Totally agree with Ssquirrel there.
Here's a tip that my coach taught me which I am using to great effect.

After confirming the line of the putt, stand to the side of your ball and take 4 practice swings to find the correct strength of your stroke.
1. do a swing that will go past the hole
2. do a swing that will be short of the hole
3. With the knowledge of the two swings above, do a swing which falls inside of these two swings that should be enough to reach the hole
4. Practice this swing one more time.

Then set up and go.

I seldom three putt with this routine.

I do this drill with my chips instead of putts. One past the hold, one short and then I gauge somewhere in between. It works fine for me so far... Good one bro..
Back to top Go down
chihheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 am

Found this old post as I was going through the same stage of my golf learning journey... From focusing on hitting long to focusing on hitting 'short'. In the end I found chipping and pitching must still be practiced on a actual practice green. Some problem with range mats are:

1. Ball role after hitting ground is an important part of the short game. Gives you an important feel on the loft of the wedges, the spin etc. Practicing those 'feel' around the green is important.

2. Range mat distorts the wedges distance in few ways. First the wedges tends to bounce off the mat into the ball, given the ball an extra oomph. Also fat shot on mat are still rewards with good distance, try that on grass and I will find a lot of 'earth'.

3. Range mat only simulated hitting off hard pan. Around the green you have tight lies, fluffy lies and taller grass. Different lies calls for slightly different setup.

4. Lastly is my own problem. I found range condition always promote the 'hit far hit hard' mentality. Very hard to practice finesses shot at the range.

Just my 2 cent

Tom
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing the video.....Laughing 
Good stuff

Last edited by babolat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jlim8813
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 pm

I usually practice my PW(110m), SW(80m) n LW(50m) religiously when I range @ SCC. They have a 50m, 80m & 100m markers which I used as target pin. Still not very fluent with <15m chip or pitch so dun really dare to practice on the pitching green, scare my stray shot will kill someone who is practicing ard me. scratch 

If u can confidently hit the pin at range, your confidence level will also greatly increase when u are on the green. 

I have trouble hitting those pin which are 15-30m which I still couldn't perform pitch n run so I m currently using a 8 or 9i for a low pitch n roll.

Last edited by willytan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 am

Hi Willy,

Is SCC range open to public?
I have been there many years back, love the quiet surrounding but it was then closed to public shortly after.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 am

babolat wrote:
Hi Willy,

Is SCC range open to public?
I have been there many years back, love the quiet surrounding but it was then closed to public shortly after.
Yeap....SCC is ideal fr short game practice! Cool
Once a mth ll be there to get in touch w my chippg, pitchg, bunker shot only.Wink 
My friend s a member there so often quote his name to the security guard while drivg into the carpark.Smile
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 am

Sembawang cc range is open to public but the putting and chipping area are not.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 am

Just to share in case some of you are not aware. At MBGC, you pay $10.70 per hour to use the putting and chipping facilities but if you sign up for 9 or 18 holes game, you can use the putting and chipping facilities for free BEFORE your game. I normally turn up early before my game to take advantage of this.
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

Opps, I think I mislead the group here.
I thought SCC is seletar country club....
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 am

I think SCC is Seletar Country Club, Sembawang I think it SBGC.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am

SEL = seletar
SCC sembawang
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:15 am

So is seletar country club range open to public?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 am

babolat wrote:
So is seletar country club range open to public?
yes....it's open to public but best is to go before 1930 for 1st timer.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 am

You need to buy the range card from the pro shop which closes ar 730pm. Same for topping up of credits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to practice short game in the driving range?   how to practice short game in the driving range? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to practice short game in the driving range?
Page 1 of 1