Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginner with no idea what to do next

Go down 
+4
alvin7379
jeffman88
outlander
redferrari
8 posters
AuthorMessage
redferrari
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Beginner with no idea what to do next Empty
PostSubject: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am

Hi

I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....

Is this correct

1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself?
2. Take pc....where to take this? Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing?
3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3???
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. It there any other way? I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?

Thanks for ur advices
Back to top Go down
outlander
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
outlander

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am

Best to take up a beginner course if you are really interested. You will get your PC at the end of the course. Also it's good to learn from a coach to get your strokes right from the beginning since bad habits are difficult to kick later.

I just completed my 9-week course at MBGC. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am

redferrari wrote:
Hi

I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....

Is this correct

1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself? Yups take a beginner course interspersed w as much range practice as u can
2. Take pc....where to take this? Normally the place u take ur lessons and your coach can issue it.. basically involves going on course play a few holes to familiarise urself to playing on a course proper n the tester asking a few Qs re rules n etiquette Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing? Yups play on course n range as much as u can3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3??? u can do both.. par 3 exec can also be treated like range practice
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Need 5 x 18 hole cards ie u need to play 5 times on a course Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. No there are estateless clubs u can join and pay the hcp maint fee per year...can check w Samy of Golf Direct .. think he is w Golf Allianze can do both PCs n HCPs It there any other way? Smile I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?

Thanks for ur advices
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am

Hi Bro! First and foremost... welcome to the world of golf! Smile

- Take up a beginner package with a reputable coach preferably one with a teaching method that you are comfortable with. Main objective is to learn the right swing so you do not start picking up weird swing which you will find difficult to correct in future

- Beginner package usually ends with a on-course session and a PC Certification, but the PC will not be able to get you onto most golf courses as the course in sg recognizes only handicap card

- Do not be too bothered by the PC.. just focus on getting the right swing

- After the end of your beginner lessons, you should be ready to go on course. The catch is... you got no handicap card, so how to go on course? There are a few executive courses (mandai, JCC, NSRCC etc) which do not need handicap cards, so you can start practicing with those. You can also go JB/ Batam for full 18 holes as most courses in JB do not check for handicap card. You can also play at MBGC after taking a $10 swing test at the range.

- Collect 5 18holes score cards along the way for submission to get a handicap card. Preferably with scores lower than 120, if not they might not be really valid

Getting your Handicap Card:
- Collect 5 18holes score cards (countered signed by another golfer in the same flight)
- If you do not have a estate country club membership, there are quite a number of non-estate country clubs that provide issue and maintenance of Handicap (i.e. MGK, SGA etc)
- First time getting your handicap card, you will need to play a courtesy round which they will charge approx. $100 (excluding green fees)
- Some might also have 1st time membership fees
- yearly maintenance of handicap is also in the region of $100+
- Courtesy round is not to gauge your skill but more to see if you know the basic golf etiquettes and rules
- Courtesy round is more or less a given pass unless you somehow killed someone on course...
- Then submit the 5 scorecards which will be used to determine your start off handicap index

Once you get your card, you will be able to play on all courses in sg.

Hope it helps.. and happy golfing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am

And u get motivation playing with chippy.... His favorite phrase is "up"
Back to top Go down
redferrari
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I feel so welcome here.....Now at least I know what to do next Smile

Now to find a good coach ....any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

welcome to GR too. I say this with all sincerity. the coaches can wait. start playing putting games. get on the course (greens) and have fun playing this beautiful game first. absolutely most important is to enjoy the walks and company first! range practise is good but it is NOT the game. play the game first.
Back to top Go down
redferrari
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I am thinking of buying my clubs now before my beginners course...that way I can start using them and familiarise myself with them......not sure to buy brand new or resale ? Any recommendations ? Price range about below $500 for the clubs....oh btw gonna be doing this with wifey...she is also a beginner like me....so recommendations for a ladies clubs also pls. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
aero66
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
aero66

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Welcome to Golf, for a start just get a used set from Gr, i am sure there are many around.

Any Qns regarding golf, this is the right place.

Enjoy the game...
Back to top Go down
redferrari
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

redferrari wrote:
Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks

Some places have an indoor hitting room for you to test out some clubs eg, taylormade at cathay, Golf House at taka,great world, suntec and marina. If you want to have a more realistic idea of what you might be getting, I suggest you take a copy of the golf newsletters from the range, and note down the dates where Taylormade has demo days. They usually have a range of clubs available for testing at the range. I'm not a TM fan, but I believe their game improvement clubs are pretty decent to start with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next   Beginner with no idea what to do next I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginner with no idea what to do next
Page 1 of 1