Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover

Go down 
+6
Kopi Towkay
siaw8
Lamts18
jimmychoo
samT
solarpop
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover Empty
PostSubject: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:38 pm

For those who were from the previous forum, you might have seen my post on the paintfill project i did on my mizuno irons. I just completed work on my putter.. and here are the pics!!

Colours i used were purple, yellow and orange. To complete the makeover, grip was also changed to yellow iomic putter grip. This putter is my gamer, so pls pardon the scratch marks all over it. I only know how to paint, refinishing must look for KT heh..

First off.. naked scotty.

DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2088
DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2091

Makeover completed Very Happy

DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2105
DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2102
DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2101
DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover IMG_2099
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Bro,

v nice work. can you share what sort of kits are needed? I am v interested to do something similar.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:49 pm

I am not here to offend anyone.......I find that the Raw putter look very nice sunny
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:53 pm

samT wrote:
Bro,

v nice work. can you share what sort of kits are needed? I am v interested to do something similar.

This is all i used.. total cost i think probably around $20 only.
- Acetone (or nail polish remover)
- Something hard and sharp, like those mini screwdrivers
- A rag
- Rubber gloves
- Small paintbrush
- Acrylic or enamel paint, i used Tamiya enamels
- Kitchen paper towels

Having worked with both acrylic and enamel paints, i think enamel does a better job coz it's very thick and easy to apply. It's also got a very glossy effect.. Then again, it's much easy to clean up after acrylic paints since it's water soluble.

Word of caution though.. please wear rubber gloves when working with solvents. The last time i didn't, and the skin on my index finger peeled very badly.. took about 2 weeks to completely heal.

Here's the link to a guide on how to do it..
http://www.mygolfspy.com/paint-fill-putters-refinish/
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:55 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I am not here to offend anyone.......I find that the Raw putter look very nice sunny

Not offended.. coz i totally agree with you. After i stripped the paint i contemplated leaving it that way for a while.. but since i already bought the paint, and i had some free time, i decided to just go ahead. Maybe i'll strip it again in the future and leave it naked haha
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks bro!!!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:18 pm

solarpop wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

Not offended.. coz i totally agree with you. After i stripped the paint i contemplated leaving it that way for a while.. but since i already bought the paint, and i had some free time, i decided to just go ahead. Maybe i'll strip it again in the future and leave it naked haha
Yeah cheers I like it NAKED ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Yup, i agree.. naked looks very nice too.... cheers...
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Naked what?
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Lingo my son....LINGO!

SC chat for "no colors"

But, I suspect you knew that and were only pulling our legs!

BTW, stunning job and I really like the colors you selected. I'm fiddling around with a little
experiment to help with improving the refinishing results without having to use heavy duty electric brushes.

I'll let you know who it works out.

Another BTW: I normally have little trouble getting the paint off my SCs but I have a Studio Design 1.5 that is not responding to either Acetone (acrylic) or Thinner (enamel). Not even after I apply some significant elbow grease. I'll figure it out eventually but sure would like a short cut if anyone has any idease.

Cheers and once again, superb job!
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Kopi Towkay wrote:
Lingo my son....LINGO!

SC chat for "no colors"

But, I suspect you knew that and were only pulling our legs!

BTW, stunning job and I really like the colors you selected. I'm fiddling around with a little
experiment to help with improving the refinishing results without having to use heavy duty electric brushes.

I'll let you know who it works out.

Another BTW: I normally have little trouble getting the paint off my SCs but I have a Studio Design 1.5 that is not responding to either Acetone (acrylic) or Thinner (enamel). Not even after I apply some significant elbow grease. I'll figure it out eventually but sure would like a short cut if anyone has any idease.

Cheers and once again, superb job!

Hi KT u can actually use something rough to brush the arear u wanna paint and try again this is what i did for my paint work for some of my toys. Normally when the paint dont eat i will use sand paper to make the area rough so that the paint can eat in. For putter you can use a Dental tool which works like sand paper it has a sharp eadge so it easier for you to work on the area.
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:36 pm

10-4. I may have to give that a try.

Prob is my wife only lets me play with sharp instruments and knives during the holiday season.

I know deep down she's hoping I'll lop off a digit or two and have to quit golfing.

They're SOOOOOOO calculating and clever!!

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Kopi Towkay wrote:
10-4. I may have to give that a try.

Prob is my wife only lets me play with sharp instruments and knives during the holiday season.

I know deep down she's hoping I'll lop off a digit or two and have to quit golfing.

They're SOOOOOOO calculating and clever!!

Cheers, KT

YUP thats why they are call women. For my wife she only NAG NAG NAG n NAG but i always tell her I need to entertain clients you want me to bring bread home too right thats my excuse LOL

cheers
LS
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:13 pm

KT you need help with the paint removal? I can give it a try.. i think i've become quite an expert at doing that already hahaha
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:37 pm

Solar, sounds like a partnership in some manner in the wings! I'll have it in my car and next time we meet in BFG we can looknchat.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Gorgeous. I think the naked version has some appeal but it doesn't stand out. Perhaps pure black would be nice. That said, the colour scheme you used is amazing. The putter looks good. Well done Smile
Back to top Go down
Golfnuts
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golfnuts

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Well done... so do you use any thing to cover those paint after you complete the paint work?
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Clear Acrylic and Clear enamel are available in little bottles and look nice and wear nice on some colors, not all. have to experiment to find out what works on what colors and on what backgrounds. Soem colors look nicer against a black oxide and others stand out on a silver/platinum finish.

If you're doing one color and really want it to wear, I suggest enamel BUT prep it after cleaning out the stamps with enamel primer (usually in a spray can version so might what to spray it into a little cup and use a brush since it's easier to control that way and no overspray.

Cheers, KT

Scotty Cameron
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I didn't use anything to cover the paints.. the paint is already quite glossy by itself so no need clear coats. I'm also not too concerned about the paint lasting for long.. coz it's quite likely i'll change the colours soon..
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Yoo Solar, what kind of table is that of yours with the snakeskin/crocskin top?

That looks pretty darn nice to me.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Lol.. that's my ottoman that doubles up as a coffee table. It's synthetic croc skin design.. bought it from this place called Lush at paya lebar.. just down the road from where the tamiya paints are Smile
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Ah yeas, I think I recall seeing Lush when I visited Stargek.

Coffee table, foot stool, day bed....whatever it is I like the fabric.

Of course we can't win these days between the PETA gang who resist ANY use of an animal and the GREENIES who say making synthetics eats the earth and causes Global Warming.

I ain't saying either is right nor wrong, but if left to their devices we'd be living in caves sharing space with all kinds of critters and of course with no light since we wouldn't be allowed to burn anything in order to see or eat.

Is it black or dark navy blue?
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Life is always about balance, and those groups you mentioned represent two extremes. For the most of us, i guess awareness and moderation will suffice..

It's black.
Back to top Go down
pit
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 pm

solarpop wrote:
samT wrote:
Bro,

This is all i used.. total cost i think probably around $20 only.
- Acetone (or nail polish remover)
- Something hard and sharp, like those mini screwdrivers
- A rag
- Rubber gloves
- Small paintbrush
- Acrylic or enamel paint, i used Tamiya enamels
- Kitchen paper towels

Having worked with both acrylic and enamel paints, i think enamel does a better job coz it's very thick and easy to apply. It's also got a very glossy effect.. Then again, it's much easy to clean up after acrylic paints since it's water solu

Word of caution though.. please wear rubber gloves when working with solvents. The last time i didn't, and the skin on my index finger peeled very badly.. took about 2 weeks to completely heal.

Here's the link to a guide on how to do it..
http://www.mygolfspy.com/paint-fill-putters-refinish/

Hi Bro,
If i removed the colour and leave it naked will it get rusty.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 11:44 pm

???

Was that a question or a statement? I assume that it's a question..

It's highly unlikely that it will rust because the paint has been removed. The paint was never meant as a protective coating of any sort, but just colours to beautify the putter.

That said, if you don't take care good of your equipment, it will still rust eventually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover   DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY Paintfill Project - Episode II Scotty Makeover
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next