Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Only irons or driver also?

Go down 
+9
lsh87
Ocean
andrew-golf
costajos
guangzhao
schnell
shimizu.toruk
joshyo
d1g
13 posters
AuthorMessage
d1g
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Only irons or driver also? Empty
PostSubject: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi I was wondering what was general opinion about use of driver for high handicappers/beginners.

Do you think driver should be immediately used, or would it be better to first focus on being consistent with irons and giving up some distance for more accuracy? I mean, on a 350+ mt hole, would it be better to play 2 safe 6 irons or immediately start out with driver and an iron?

I know of mid handicappers who lowered their handicap to around 20 without using driver at all, just with a good irons play, and then started it, and also heard people saying that driver should be introduced immediately so to get confidence as with irons.

Anybody wanting to share their experience/opinion?
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Personal opinion? Bring out the big guns! My contact with irons is worse off than my contact with woods and driver. I try to play such that I get 1 driver + 1wood then maybe 1iron on for par 4/5. I minimise my iron play till I find the remedy. For me I learned contact with irons. Then once I had a rough feel with my irons I moved to woods immediately, helps alot.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:36 pm

My opinion - Distance is nothing without accuracy...so I would definitely give the former up for the latter.

No point hitting a 270 yd drive and spraying it all over the course Very Happy

I used to hit driver on my Par 4s and 5s, but always end up with a pretty bad slice, then recently I told myself to just tee it up with a 3W, and got much more consistent results in terms of the direction of the ball flight.

A 3W, and a good long iron shot should get you onto the green in 2 shots for a Par 4 on MBGC. That's what I've observed.

I would say go with a 3W until your swing is consistent (I know mine isn't!), and of course good iron play.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
schnell

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow..if you are hitting your 6 iron safely 175m..don't think you will have to take out a driver unless for long par 5s from the white tees Smile
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I think the more important question is why do you play golf?

If you really want to enjoy, hitting a driver (even though it goes everywhere) can feel really good. However, if you want to play an awesome game/bet and win, then you should play to your strengths, i.e. play the iron shot if you cannot hit a driver well.

Of course if you're like me and hit the ball straight down into the ground and get plugged, then it may not be much fun...
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

guangzhao wrote:

If you really want to enjoy, hitting a driver (even though it goes everywhere) can feel really good. However, if you want to play an awesome game/bet and win, then you should play to your strengths, i.e. play the iron shot if you cannot hit a driver well.

Of course if you're like me and hit the ball straight down into the ground and get plugged, then it may not be much fun...

as long as you can hit past the red tee...
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:01 pm

shimizu.toruk wrote:
My opinion - Distance is nothing without accuracy...so I would definitely give the former up for the latter.

I used to hit driver on my Par 4s and 5s, but always end up with a pretty bad slice, then recently I told myself to just tee it up with a 3W, and got much more consistent results in terms of the direction of the ball flight.

A 3W, and a good long iron shot should get you onto the green in 2 shots for a Par 4 on MBGC. That's what I've observed.

I would say go with a 3W until your swing is consistent (I know mine isn't!), and of course good iron play.

HTH!

In the recent Ryder Cup singles match between Luke Donald and Bubba Watson

Luke won the match comfortably even though he is always 50 yards behind Bubba..

Also, Luke's irons game is very very accurate...
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I forgot to add. I get more accurate returns from my driver and woods than long irons (: hence my choice of wood play. On course my 7,6,5 irons always manage to mess up so I stick to my 5 wood if possible. And it somehow matches my distance gapping. 180-220 drive. 140-160 5 wood.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
shimizu.toruk wrote:

HTH!

In the recent Ryder Cup singles match between Luke Donald and Bubba Watson

Luke won the match comfortably even though he is always 50 yards behind Bubba..

Also, Luke's irons game is very very accurate...

Moral of the story - Accuracy, Accuracy, Accuracy.

This game that we all love and hate at the same time is all about ball control... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm

joshyo wrote:
I forgot to add. I get more accurate returns from my driver and woods than long irons (: hence my choice of wood play. On course my 7,6,5 irons always manage to mess up so I stick to my 5 wood if possible. And it somehow matches my distance gapping. 180-220 drive. 140-160 5 wood.

yea for me my longer irons and woods sucks... thank God for hybrids
Back to top Go down
d1g
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree on accuracy first.

Btw, as you were mentioning hybrids, which I've never used: are hybrids really easier to use compared to long irons?
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm

d1g wrote:
I agree on accuracy first.

Btw, as you were mentioning hybrids, which I've never used: are hybrids really easier to use compared to long irons?

for me yes especially for distance. currently my 4i and 5i goes as far as my 6i.. and my 3w is inconsistent. so for longer shots i would use a hybrid which somehow is easier for me to hit.
Back to top Go down
Ocean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:59 pm

For me, driver easier to hit than iron. Driver at least can get 200m consistently. Anyway, dispersion same same, everywhere Razz
Back to top Go down
lsh87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks a lot for all the info here, I also a new golfer and struggling to hit my driver consistently Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 pm

lsh87 wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the info here, I also a new golfer and struggling to hit my driver consistently Smile

Bro, may I know what info did you learn from this thread? Until now, I still did not get what I suppose to do.
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:00 pm

guangzhao wrote:

good answer.

I used to think that distance is important. Not anymore.

Now i prescribe to "Accuracy is important in golf".....and even now i am still struggling to be accurate.....

At the end of the day, play with the clubs you're most comfortable with...and the one that gives you the best outcome.

Cheers!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 pm

IMHO, I think it's up to your personal preference for hole, If you felt that by playing iron iron will get better result by all mean, go ahead. Just don't hit because everyone using driver so you think u'll do better than them...remember every road lead to rome.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

enwee wrote:
IMHO, I think it's up to your personal preference for hole, If you felt that by playing iron iron will get better result by all mean, go ahead. Just don't hit because everyone using driver so you think u'll do better than them...remember every road lead to rome.

lol some roads just take longer Beer
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:21 pm

some roads cross waters cross deserts cross jungles still cannot see rome.. those called bypass roads hehe
Back to top Go down
lsh87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
lsh87 wrote:

Bro, may I know what info did you learn from this thread? Until now, I still did not get what I suppose to do.

For me, I can't seem to get my driver to work, but my irons work fine, I have been working hard at the range to make it work so that I have the confidence to go take the PC test (which does not require a driver) and head on to the course. Friends have been telling me that I can play a course without the use of a driver but I have been reluctant ( grew up watching all the pros teeing off with their drivers and I always thought I have to be like them to get on the course)

This thread has proved my friends right, and gave me the confidence to maybe give the PC test a go and hopefully head on the course with just my irons and FW in the near future Smile
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:46 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
some roads cross waters cross deserts cross jungles still cannot see rome.. those called bypass roads hehe

after awhile some give up and move on to see if they can find a new rome lol
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm

With everybody agreed saying that distance is secondary compare to accuracy. Please do not flame me in what I am going to say. I still remember I ever mention in one of the thread that I will give anything for accuracy to distance.

However, if one cannot swing the longer club in the bag that suppose to provide one the longer distance. How are one going to be a good player with a lower hcp ?

I know there are many players that can play very well without hitting long but how short are we talking about? I think one still need to able to hit in reasonable distance with his longer club.

Back to the question above of 350+ m. If one can hit a i6 iron of 175m, use the 6i x 2 and hit GIR, why need driver. However, eventually one still need to learn to hit the driver with less mistake and confidence. If not, what to use to hit if one have a long par 4 like 450m+ ? (unless one hit a 3w over 200+ m. If so, I am sure one can handle the driver already)

If one unable to hit their long or longer club in bag then one need to train hard on them and learn to hit them well. Hard works, no short cut if you want to do well in the game. If one felt that one is just having fun and happy with high scores then why bother to ask the question?

Finally, one should not use any club at all if one knew he cannot even hit it properly in a course. One shall play within one mean and learn to swing with confidence. People say "swing and then prayed". These people will just kidding. What you think or wanted might not be the same outcome but if one has no confidence before one swing then why bother ?

It is not a must to use driver but can one reach in GIR with other club if not driver? With weak GIR, how strong is one short game to get up & down (1 chip & 1 putt).
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
With everybody agreed saying that distance is secondary compare to accuracy. Please do not flame me in what I am going to say. I still remember I ever mention in one of the thread that I will give anything for accuracy to distance.

However, if one cannot swing the longer club in the bag that suppose to provide one the longer distance. How are one going to be a good player with a lower hcp ?

I know there are many players that can play very well without hitting long but how short are we talking about? I think one still need to able to hit in reasonable distance with his longer club.

Back to the question above of 350+ m. If one can hit a i6 iron of 175m, use the 6i x 2 and hit GIR, why need driver. However, eventually one still need to learn to hit the driver with less mistake and confidence. If not, what to use to hit if one have a long par 4 like 450m+ ? (unless one hit a 3w over 200+ m. If so, I am sure one can handle the driver already)

If one unable to hit their long or longer club in bag then one need to train hard on them and learn to hit them well. Hard works, no short cut if you want to do well in the game. If one felt that one is just having fun and happy with high scores then why bother to ask the question?

Finally, one should not use any club at all if one knew he cannot even hit it properly in a course. One shall play within one mean and learn to swing with confidence. People say "swing and then prayed". These people will just kidding. What you think or wanted might not be the same outcome but if one has no confidence before one swing then why bother ?

It is not a must to use driver but can one reach in GIR with other club if not driver? With weak GIR, how strong is one short game to get up & down (1 chip & 1 putt).

I think what slicer means is every club is also important to use.. And practice is the only key to both, precision and distance. There u go, so not only irons but u need ur driver and woods as well. Unless u play executive course then MAYBE dunnid woods. sunny
Back to top Go down
d1g
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am

Hi guys

thanks all for your contribution. I definitely agree with Slicer, and actually the main sense of my question was this: would it make more sense to first learn to use at best of my possibilities my irons (from i4 up) and then focus on woods, or would it make more sense to start learning everything together? Cause sometimes I feel like instead of practicing my driver it would make more sense to get to a level where whatever iron I play, I'm somehow confident of the result (of course then some mistakes happen but we're not pro).
Then for sure on long holes driver is mandatory..
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

d1g wrote:
Hi guys

thanks all for your contribution. I definitely agree with Slicer, and actually the main sense of my question was this: would it make more sense to first learn to use at best of my possibilities my irons (from i4 up) and then focus on woods, or would it make more sense to start learning everything together? Cause sometimes I feel like instead of practicing my driver it would make more sense to get to a level where whatever iron I play, I'm somehow confident of the result (of course then some mistakes happen but we're not pro).
Then for sure on long holes driver is mandatory..

Cheers bro! You got it spot on.
Wishing you good golfing experience ahead Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Only irons or driver also?   Only irons or driver also? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Only irons or driver also?
Page 1 of 1