Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?

Go down 
+9
hkhamateur
mUAr_cHEe
abadan
Technospaz
renode
shimizu.toruk
DRGjr72
blong
Duval_S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? Empty
PostSubject: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 am

I donno if its proven coz never done that before
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 am

works for me. Definitely
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 am

Some people like to warm up, some have to, some don't care either way.

When I was playing professionally I had a pretty strict routine when it came to warming up before a round. I would get there 1 hour prior to tee time, get ready and head to the range. I would hit some pitches and shorter shots to get a feel for the contact I was making that day. Then move onto longer shots. To finish up the warm up (usually 20-30 mins) I would hit a drive, then some type of iron right after. Would then hit a fairway wood and a short iron right after. This was an attempt to get a feel for actual playing scenarios. Then I would go hit 5 to 10 bunker shots to get a feel for the sand. Hit a few chips and pitches (if there was a practice green) then finally about 15 mins before tee time I would hit some putts for about 10 mins.

After all of that I would make my way to the first or 10th tee, depending on where I was teeing off from.

Sounds like quite a bit, but it goes by really fast. I never was trying to work on my golf swing or technique at that point. That should have been done before I got there. I was focusing on contact and what shot shape I had that day. Also focusing on green speed and receptiveness of the greens with respect to pitches and chips.

Nowadays is a totally different story. More often than not I don't hit a single ball. If I am lucky I will roll 10 or 15 putts before we tee off. It is more of a find it as you go type thing, unless I am able to get there early and enjoy a quick hit and get loose at the range.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 am

I try to squeeze about 50 balls before my round as a warm up. Usually start with some pitch shots, some chips and my short irons slowly moving down to the long irons and woods.

If anything, it gives me an idea what is my body condition like for the day and how it affects the shots I'm making, so that I know how and where to compensate on course.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:01 am

If betting - die die also need to chip and putt before start playing...

If leisure - think arrive only 10mins before tee time.. Just nice to wear shoes and drive to tee box
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:02 am

I would like to but I don't have time. It's party because getting the body warmed up allows for a better game. But also, it sets my mind at ease for what lies ahead.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:28 am

Most of the times i tee off at 7+am so no time to warm up b4 the game. I usually take about 4-5 holes b4 i start playing my usual game. Sometimes if i'm lucky i start off with a Par and sometimes can be as bad as tripple. But there were times where i had afternoon tee time and had the chance of hitting a few shots and it really makes a diff.

Bro DRGjr72 has a very good point. Its warm up and not practice, so try not to change ur swing just b4 ur game. As for me. This not only warms up my body and muscles, i also get to see how i'm swinging the club that day. the most i'd do would be to change my tempo if my timing was off.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 am

i believe in exhausting my supply of bad shots in the range prior to my game so that i got nothing but good shots left to execute in my game.

as believed and advised by my lumber fai.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am

If I m teeg off PM, I ll definitely hve my warm up at e golf range. Wink
If early morn teeg off, I ll need a lot of body stretches to reali warm up. Bt still will hve some difficulties in e first two holes. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 am

It's a bit overrated, personally. But that's just me
If I warm up and find myself striking the ball solid at the range, I will have high expectations at first tee and such expectations lead to disastrous outcome

Similarly if I hit poorly at the range, one of two possible outcomes will ensue.
Either like MC (and Bob Rotella too, actually) I tell myself I have already used up my bad shots
Or
I carry over my poor ball striking to my first tee

My scores actually have no correlation to whether I warm up or not prior to the game. Go figure!?!?

Last edited by pocketace on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I totally agree with what Pro said.. I personally feel there's a difference..

When I was traveling a lot and my only game was on occasional sundays, I used to rush to the tee box and arrive just in time to tee off.. I realized my first few holes were always disastrous..

Then when I had more time to play and warmed up at the range before the game, it's a lot better, and I also found my game improving...

But, perhaps all the coaches and bros can advice, what if your tee off time is 7.14am and the range doesn't open till 7am.. You basically have no time to warm up.. And going into a game from a 6 hours slumber.. So what would you do then ??

Thanks for advice... cheers

Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 3:00 pm

chien wrote:

But, perhaps all the coaches and bros can advice, what if your tee off time is 7.14am and the range doesn't open till 7am.. You basically have no time to warm up.. And going into a game from a 6 hours slumber.. So what would you do then ??

Wake up at 4am to watch Golf Channel and do stretching helps.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm

2008 wrote:
chien wrote:

Wake up at 4am to watch Golf Channel and do stretching helps.

Ohh.. Ok now I know that's why you always beat me on morning tees...

Now, don't be a pussy and go confirm our next afternoon game ! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:09 am

Do u believe in spanking the monkey just before the actual deed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?   Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do u believe in hitting practise balls just before tee. ?
Page 1 of 1