Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No Guns please!!!

Go down 
+20
DRGjr72
TourSwing
golfool2009
Begbie
meia07656
TDO
stickman
pocketace
slinger
ralphlim
Suzuki
sob
blong
golf_snowman
pushslice
Technospaz
jeffman88
shimizu.toruk
mUAr_cHEe
Khorkar
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am

I dont understand what on earth is going on in USA. Recent Batman premier shooting and now shooting in Sikh temple.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/7-killed-us-sikh-temple-shooting-police-185640245.html

Are guns that easily available in USA more so than golf clubs? Can someone enlighten me?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am

They sell guns at sports shop and i heard even at K-Mart too. Not sure how true is that.

Licensing is a matter of paying subscription fee and filling up a 'test paper' on the spot. The 'test' can be taken over the counter at the gun shop.

that is what I know.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 am

Does this means any nut case can buy a gun (s) that recklessly easy? A person might as well be wearing a Kevlar outfit when he steps out from the house, likely he or she be killed by guns than a traffic accident.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 am

I was in Colorado recently for Business. Guns are sold in sports shops, and I'm talking not just your bolt-action rifles, but also assault rifles (smaller caliber) and shot guns, complete with gun accessories (scopes, after-market butt stocks) and ammo.

And in California (bay area), if I remember correctly, guns are sold in K-Mart as well.

While I understand (I guess) "the need to bear arms" as stated in the US Constitution, I also think that should change with the times. When it was first written, the right to bear arms was probably necessary. Now, I think it really depends. If you're staying in some ulu-part of US where the distance between you and your neighbour is in excess of 50km or more, you're probably justified to some form of protection. Do you need high-powered assault rifles with 5x scope to defend yourself? I don't think so, pistol, maybe.

In urban areas, I don't think it's justified in any sense.

That's just me and my $0.02....
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 am

Yups USA is becoming a v dangerous place to live nowadays... think even taxi drivers keep a gun in their cars for fear of being mugged
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 am

When I lived in the US (and even before that), I was always told never to honk while I'm driving on the road. Many folk carry firearms in their glove compartments and you could be at the receiving end of a speeding bullet (or more) - regardless of whether you were right or wrong.

One thing which shocked me when I lived in SF in 2008 was the report of a shooting in Oakland (north of the Bay Bridge) near Berkley. A man was killed in a shooting. For those who don't know, Oakland is a difficult neighborhood and kinda like Compton in LA or Harlem in NY. So, a shooting/killing was not ground breaking news. However, what scared me was that the police found over 100 bullet casings at the crime. They ran out of evidence markers and had to use numbered paper cups to mark the evidence.

Anyway, I never faced the wrong end of a pistol while I was in the US and for that, I'm thankful. But I know that many people treasure their firearms. Whether they use it in a dangerous manner or not is a separate issue but certainly, having a gun opens up the possibility of use...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 am

i read US politics and culture clash with interest. my sister lives there. My american bro in law works in law enforcement.

if you read the back and fro between conservatives and liberals (both pundits and netizens), you will be amazed. the beliefs are very opposite on many things not just guns.

watch bowling for columbine. it kinda explains US obsession with guns.

it's the land of the free. land of the cowboys. land of the GIs. land of NERF and Call of Duty. They really like guns over there.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am

everytime when i was in one of the major sporting shop, i always go see the guns they were selling...long one, short one, big one, small one, automatic one, revolver one...u name it, they have it..very fancinating....they even have guns that are in pink color...for ladies....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

golf_snowman wrote:
everytime when i was in one of the major sporting shop, i always go see the guns they were selling...long one, short one, big one, small one, automatic one, revolver one...u name it, they have it..very fancinating....they even have guns that are in pink color...for ladies....

btw my favorite scene from Commando is when Arnold breaks in to a gun/armory shop and just gets all the weapons tincluding the shoulder rocket launcher.

USA is the most prepared nation if a zombie outbreak really happens
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 am

pushslice wrote:

haha yeah, ain't it
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 am

LOl and the americans are worried about terrorists. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Just like you walk in a pro shop in Singapore, can change shaft, spine and flow, change grip, change accessories, heehee....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:08 pm

pushslice wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

btw my favorite scene from Commando is when Arnold breaks in to a gun/armory shop and just gets all the weapons tincluding the shoulder rocket launcher.

imagine if the zombie also know how to use gun and they break into gun shop can get all the weapons including shoulder rocket launcher....hmmm....it become prepared for the zombie...haha
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I guess it boils down to 2nd Amendment (Right to bear Arms) and its sad that both Obama and Rommey is skiving from this important topic in their election bids

does not help that you have reality shows like American Guns or Sons of Guns showing on Discovery channel displaying the coolness of owning guns, even high powered sniper rifles or pink revolvers etc

its big biz, not to mention the 2nd-hand market, just like how we buy/sell clubs

Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
pushslice wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

imagine if the zombie also know how to use gun and they break into gun shop can get all the weapons including shoulder rocket launcher....hmmm....it become prepared for the zombie...haha

and imagine if the zombie also knows how to play golf..... kekeke
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:55 pm

pushslice wrote:

This has my vote for best line of the month.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:10 pm

u know the saying "guns dun kill people, only people kill people"....

unfortunately, there are too many wackos there....

from an ex-NS man standpoint...

i not scare to carry gun...

i only scare to carry bullets.....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 pm

so you can imagine how much these firearms lobbyist are paid...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:44 pm

ralphlim wrote:
I guess it boils down to 2nd Amendment (Right to bear Arms) and its sad that both Obama and Rommey is skiving from this important topic in their election bids

does not help that you have reality shows like American Guns or Sons of Guns showing on Discovery channel displaying the coolness of owning guns, even high powered sniper rifles or pink revolvers etc

its big biz, not to mention the 2nd-hand market, just like how we buy/sell clubs

Obama or Rommey are not skirting the topic. Gun lobbyists are really powerful in the USA. Imagine if their very existence provide so many jobs and fund your presidential campaign, what can Obama or Rommey do?

Can they create an alternative industry to provide jobs?

Can they get funding from their campaign elsewhere?

Can they repossesses all privately owned firearms and refund the owners?

Probably 'no' to all the questions.

I find the 2nd amendment outdated now. There are no Red Indians to protect the cattle and horses from. The original intend of the 2nd Amendment now takes a new meaning in the modern world.

It's is a chicken and egg situation now.

The reason why an American felt that they need to keep a firearm now is not because their next door neighbour may be miles away. But rather, a druggie or nutcase just got a gun from K-mart and needs some serious cash to fund his addiction or satisfy his misguided cause and need to shoot people.

Don't get me wrong, I like USA for all it's innovation (especially golf and IT applications), theme parks, golf courses, music and Hollywood. But it also lost the plot in many other areas. Guns being one of them.

I'm certainly not saying SG is the greatest, cos we are not. I'm just saying that, Like in any country, you take the good with the bad. The shooting in the Sikh temple and the recent shooting at the Batman premiere is just sad.
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I really hope US look deep into their back yard problem even when they try to be the "police man of our planet".

I am not saying " be not involved with other countries affairs" but to tackle it in both front because 1 country's action will affect our neighbour.

Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 2:14 pm

pocketace wrote:
ralphlim wrote:

Obama or Rommey are not skirting the topic. Gun lobbyists are really powerful in the USA. Imagine if their very existence provide so many jobs and fund your presidential campaign, what can Obama or Rommey do?

Can they create an alternative industry to provide jobs?

Can they get funding from their campaign elsewhere?

Can they repossesses all privately owned firearms and refund the owners?

Probably 'no' to all the questions.

I find the 2nd amendment outdated now. There are no Red Indians to protect the cattle and horses from. The original intend of the 2nd Amendment now takes a new meaning in the modern world.

It's is a chicken and egg situation now.

The reason why an American felt that they need to keep a firearm now is not because their next door neighbour may be miles away. But rather, a druggie or nutcase just got a gun from K-mart and needs some serious cash to fund his addiction or satisfy his misguided cause and need to shoot people.

Don't get me wrong, I like USA for all it's innovation (especially golf and IT applications), theme parks, golf courses, music and Hollywood. But it also lost the plot in many other areas. Guns being one of them.

I'm certainly not saying SG is the greatest, cos we are not. I'm just saying that, Like in any country, you take the good with the bad. The shooting in the Sikh temple and the recent shooting at the Batman premiere is just sad.

Agree with you in a lot of ways, but at least step up and make this gun topic or make a stand and re-look their gun laws. Till they do that, sadly more American lives will be lost to such acts

The democrats just give away too many things for free, while with good intentions, the shit hole just gets bigger, the hype of the black President is not going to buy Obama another 4 years even though i think he also stuck between a rock and hard place
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 2:15 pm

IMO, guns are allowed in the USA for a reason. To protect oneself. But protect oneself against what? Wild animals? More likely wild wackos because wackos are allowed the same privilege as any normal person to purchase a gun. affraid HELP
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 2:42 pm

There was an article in the papers showing that the Swiss have higher gun to pepole ratio than the USA, but lesser random shootings than USA.

Gives to the point that, Guns don't kill, humans do.

OB a bit, can we get shark fin lobby to help push for sustainable harvesting? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 pm

sob wrote:
There was an article in the papers showing that the Swiss have higher gun to pepole ratio than the USA, but lesser random shootings than USA.

Gives to the point that, Guns don't kill, humans do.

OB a bit, can we get shark fin lobby to help push for sustainable harvesting? Rolling Eyes

I thot it's interesting to see who have done mass shooting in US?

- young kids with problems at school (bullied etc)
- older uni/grad students who are stressed out beyond help, some are foreign students
- adults with problems at work (shot colleagues)

source: http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm

sob wrote:
can we get shark fin lobby to help push for sustainable harvesting? Rolling Eyes

Interesting point. What do you mean? Get the Industry to push for farm-raised sharks?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No Guns please!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Guns please!!!   No Guns please!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Guns please!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next