Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you chip like luke or phil?

Go down 
+13
hkhamateur
Turbo
Unexceptional Golfer
ahnah
Derek
golfool2009
blee67
watermyforrest
pushslice
nientsu
crayon33
audi
haragolfer
17 posters
AuthorMessage
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

Do you chip like luke or phil? Empty
PostSubject: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 pm

the video made me think about how i can chip better. Who do you think chips better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-wYDpevvU&feature=related

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 pm

nice video. thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am

I will guess Luke has the better short game than Phil. I am hoping our resident GR statisticians chip in here with data.

For me, changed to Phil style of chipping, ie the hinge and hold method, about 2 months ago, you really must be damn aggressive and fly the ball to the hole, otherwise you will end up just getting the ball on the front of the green. It also helps to use a high spin ball, proV1 or V1x or similar type of ball.

Recently I find my old chipping style creeping back, which is more like the Luke Donald style. Guess that is the way I was taught to chip back in the day.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 am

I use the hinge and hold. Needs a whole lot of practise to get used to it. But once u are accustomed to it, chipping is far easier. It gives me a more predictable results and distance control. IMO
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am

Agree absolutely on predictability. Less chance of chunking or chilli dipping your chips because you really have to hit down on your chips on the hinge and hold method.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

thot these videos are relevant to the discussion. Sliders are right hand dominant, while diggers have good left hand. Sliders and Diggers chip differently (as illustrated by Luke and Phil), and they may need different bounce on their wedges according to Titleist (insert ad here) What a Face .

as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

pushslice wrote:
... as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

And he use this to conquer Aranda... scary!!!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:04 am

watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:
... as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

and I slept with a smile, a game with no chilly dips, for the first time.

so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 am

pushslice wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:

and I slept with a smile, a game with no chilly dips, for the first time.

so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?

Looks like time for another wth PS liao...

When? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Forget luke or phil...I want to chip like capt......or duval....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

pushslice wrote:
... so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?

Thankfully Golf God compensated the Weather God's mischief with good fortune on that... Wink
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 am

Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Winner will get 1 set of 3 Titleist Wedges of their choice.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

I'll start another thread on this event slightly later
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 am

Derek wrote:
Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

Upz for u
Back to top Go down
Unexceptional Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Unexceptional Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Personally I use the Phil Mickelson hinge and hold method, because I realised that I can get more consistent spin and distance. Tip: Try to use spin balls for better results
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Hinge & hold method has less tendency to get fat or thin chip shot once you can excel in it ...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:00 am

Derek wrote:

Perfect! Wink
Interestg n will b lookg fwd to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:27 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Derek wrote:

Perfect! Wink
Interestg n will b lookg fwd to it. Very Happy

Bro HK, Derek's post was in 2012...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Nice video sharing.

A food for thought for those looking to sharpen their short game.
Back to top Go down
swingandstroke
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
swingandstroke

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Very good video. Worth the ups.

I use Luke's style. Very repeatable, just to make sure body is not stiff when swing. To vary the distance, just need to vary the swing length and change club loft if necessary. Tempted to try Phil's style though.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm

I prefer the hinge & hold method without a doubt ...
Back to top Go down
darthfader
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 12:21 am

nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Do you chip like luke or phil? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you chip like luke or phil?
Page 1 of 1