Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

STOP the grilling.....pls save golf

Go down 
+7
mizzy
nientsu
chien
pocketace
bogeyman72
Khorkar
Duval_S
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

STOP the grilling.....pls save golf Empty
PostSubject: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Watching the grilling of mr.diamond whose company help to sponsor and bank roll one of the marquee event in sentosa.

Leave the financial folks alone...let them do what they want,,,,,they will then pump into golf....

Is my logic rite?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Yes, pretty much....but you might want to add, rip everyone else their money along the way...
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 2:12 am

I disagree... he is alleged to have cornered the market in terms of the money market LIBOR fixing... typically, if his colluding with other players in the market, it is basically bullying borrowers, whether corporate or individual borrowers...

Goats hair grow from the goat... so what if his org pumps money into golf? the source of the money is via creaming off clients by colluding with other banks!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 am

Bob diamond and his lackeys are giving financial services a bad name
There is enough money to be made but greed made them do crazy stuffs to make more money

And they are blatant / stupid enough to leave an audit trail of messages proving their misdeeds.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 am

Honestly. I am not so sure Bod D has a clue about what's going on in the trading room. The traders basically have a lot of leeways and that's how their jobs were, given that they have to make quick decisions every time, there isn't any possibility to check with bosses first etc.. But that was before cos the landscape of banking is changing...

I would look at the traders instead. Not kill Bob even though he walks home £18m pay last year... The traders are the one driven by big bonuses and quick fixes..

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 am

how do you actually proof LIBOR fixing in the money market??
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am

nientsu wrote:
how do you actually proof LIBOR fixing in the money market??

Mate, the authorities traced the quick chats n emails records...
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 am

I mean, isnt it the bank's parogative if they want to raise/lower their interbank rates due to market forces?

Was reading something about Diamond working with other banks to corner LIBOR. Not that i think its wrong, it would be interesting to know how he does it

Shit, this is distracting me from my work....
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 am

nientsu wrote:
I mean, isnt it the bank's parogative if they want to raise/lower their interbank rates due to market forces?

Was reading something about Diamond working with other banks to corner LIBOR. Not that i think its wrong, it would be interesting to know how he does it

Bob's words against BOE's.. More stories to be revealed..
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:07 am

nientsu wrote:

from what i read, i think the methodology is asf:

traders get their trades from counter banks and the interest rates for overnight loans.
submitters take the interest rates from the trades and submit what they think they can get from other banks.
the banks that BOE get the submission from then prunes the top 25% and bottom 25% and averages the middle 50% of submissions to get LIBOR.

so if that's the case then you need more than 25% of the submitters to collude to affect the LIBOR. if affecting LIBOR just by a little bit is enough then even the 5 percentage point in that 50 percentage point can start moving the LIBOR.
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:47 am

bob's mistake is to settle earlier than the bus load of banks who are also accused of colluding. He could have taken part in a mass settlement and hide among the many banks who actually quote the libor rate and are in their own way "invovled". This story is actually pretty complicated. I personally would love them to continue sponsoring.... got a lobang for complimentary round etc.....
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm

I want to think Barclays as Robin Hood.

They make money....for bank and themselves....but they sponsor golf tourney and do charity.

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:27 pm

I just feel that we shouldn't mix up Bob Diamond's multi million dollar remuneration (cos that was what the Scottish MP was harping about in yesterday's hearing) / or their various sports sponsorship (eg Premier League, golf tournament), with this Libor fixing case.

Don't just lynch Bob to make an example or to get back at him for making millions of dollars a year.

As CEO of 2nd largest bank in the UK, they have made money for shareholders, created jobs, given back to the community. What we probably should focus is the internal controls and accountability.

But emotions tend to get in the way at times. Btw, I don't work for Barclays, nothing in it for me!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Barclays bankrolled the Brooklyn Nets' new arena, prolly at the expense of Singapore Open and Scottish Open. Basketball and Football got more viewers
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:43 pm

we talking about golf? i am lost in all the chatter above.

I see ball, i whack ball. I see diamond, i keep it away from wife.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:46 pm

what we see is just a the tip of the ice berg and hardly the reality on most cases.
It was said that Barclays is actually asked by English goverment to help lower the LIBOR rates !! All part of high level political games just like how Sadam and Khadafi was branded evil where in not so distant past there were friends of the west.

I think it's all possible and at the moment news paper is more interested to print what people want to see and hear which generally run along the most current public sentiment trend of which bashing banking industries is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOP the grilling.....pls save golf   STOP the grilling.....pls save golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STOP the grilling.....pls save golf
Page 1 of 1