Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking

Go down 
+12
shorthitter
LousyGolfer
pushslice
Bangla123
tronos
asahi
Birdman
Golfer Guy
mengteck71
madmaru
kooky
CAless
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CAless
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
CAless

Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking Empty
PostSubject: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if there're other rookies to the game like me who has alot of questions but is afraid to ask and appear stupid amongnst all the old bird here. Hence I shall be thick-skinned and start the ball rolling.

Since I'm only one week old to this game, you can't blame me for silly questions right? Laughing

Here goes:

1) Do I need to reserve or pay for the bay at driving range?
2) Can I go on green after obtaining my pc?
3) Is there any unspoken rules that cannot be found in guide books?

Love to here from you all. Go ahead, have a good laugh at me. But answer my questions after that ok?
lol!
Back to top Go down
kooky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:56 pm

no nee book or pay for bay, only pay for balls using range stored value card which you need to buy/top up/ activate whenever u wan go that range

Free sitting after that
Back to top Go down
madmaru
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
madmaru

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm

CAless wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm not sure if there're other rookies to the game like me who has alot of questions but is afraid to ask and appear stupid amongnst all the old bird here. Hence I shall be thick-skinned and start the ball rolling.

Since I'm only one week old to this game, you can't blame me for silly questions right? Laughing

Here goes:

as far as i know reserve of bays usually for resident coaches . pay for the balls not the bays

u can go on the greens after getting ur PC (note different greens has different requirements eg: MBGC allows PC that is has SGA chop on it or else take swing test . those executive par 3 like NSRCC changi do check PC mandai on the other hand just walk in

don't give any 1-2-3 later kana munched by buayas .... joke

Love to here from you all. Go ahead, have a good laugh at me. But answer my questions after that ok?
lol!

Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 6:32 pm

madmaru wrote:
CAless wrote:

Here goes:

as far as i know reserve of bays usually for resident coaches . pay for the balls not the bays

u can go on the greens after getting ur PC (note different greens has different requirements eg: MBGC allows PC that is has SGA chop on it or else take swing test . those executive par 3 like NSRCC changi do check PC mandai on the other hand just walk in

I assumed you are a lady golfer. Learn everything unwritten from mloy.. she is the best lady chaperon i have known..

lol!

Back to top Go down
Golfer Guy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

1. Some ranges include the cost of the bay into the cost of the golf balls, which is why some of the more exclusive ranges golf balls cost more than others. Other ranges (the snotty ones) are OB to non members.

2. With a PC you can go on some courses not all though.

3. Plenty! Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Welcome CAless to Golf Republic. Hats off to you for being so candid upfront. The only way to learn quick is to ask.

Since your first two questions were answered, I'll take on the last one.

What's mostly unwritten is the etiquette of the game.

Basics like repairing divots, raking the bunkers, first to putt out replaces the pin, that kind of thing. It's like flushing the toilet and lowering the seat after your'e done so the person who comes after you is not inconvenienced.

Then there are other courtesies like not standing in a person's line of sight, staying still and silent while someone takes their swing.

Ask and observe the more experienced golfers who practice GOOD habits and courtesies and you'll pick them up along the way.

Enjoy your journey. Swing
Back to top Go down
kooky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I add another one beginners tend to forget in anxiety.. Do not step on other player's putting line at all times (on the green, the imaginary line between the cup and where the player will putt from) some players might be very particular and anal about this even though accidentally!!

Last edited by kooky on Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:31 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
madmaru wrote:
CAless wrote:

Here goes:

I assumed you are a lady golfer. Learn everything unwritten from mloy.. she is the best lady chaperon i have known..

lol!

Mengteck is right!

If you need a mentor, get mloy to get started! Razz

Welcome all the same!

Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:53 pm

i got a stupid question...what is the proper action to take when u hear "FORE!!!". I always look up to try see the ball, and last sec action action duck and cover head (also dont know why do that)...and i KNOW thats not the correct thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:12 pm

kooky wrote:
I add another one beginners tend to forget in anxiety.. Do not step on other player's putting line at all times (on the green, the imaginary line between the cup and where the player will putt from) some players might be very particular and anal about this even though accidentally!!

Kooky, you reminded me of another common one....

When walking, lift and don't drag your feet on the green, like wearing japanese slippers. The spikes will raise the grass like a durian... what are commonly known as Christmas trees. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm

tronos wrote:
i got a stupid question...what is the proper action to take when u hear "FORE!!!". I always look up to try see the ball, and last sec action action duck and cover head (also dont know why do that)...and i KNOW thats not the correct thing to do.

Lol, my theory is that by the time you hear fore, the ball is almost upon you. It takes a couple of seconds for the golfer to realise it's heading towards you, by which time the ball has covered half the distance. Another 1 second to react and ball is three quarters of the way to you. He shouts 'fore', the warning takes another half second to reach your ears, and ball is almost upon you.

The time it takes to look up and scan for the ball, and then for your brain to register where the ball is in the sky.... is just nice for you to hear a loud "THOCK".

"Where am I?" Stretcher

I usually drop down into a crouch with hands covering my head. Or I hide right up to a tree that's between the teebox and me. No time to look.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:09 am

Another important tip , is that always , ALWAYS wait for the flight in front to drive/move off a. Par 3 to the next hole before playing your shot. Call on holes are something else but alot of "golfers" who do not go through a "golf etiquette class" ( they purchase their handicap card or have none at all) always overlook . Something about "slow play...
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:12 am

Also, at public ranges, club on the mat signify a bay is taken. Similar to a tissue paper chope in a food market. Another reason I strongly suggest If you can afford it, is to purchase a private club membership .

Hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
CAless
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
CAless

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 9:32 am

Wow. Thanks all for the great advice. Seems like I have much to learn. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:14 am

Bangla123 wrote:
Also, at public ranges, club on the mat signify a bay is taken. Similar to a tissue paper chope in a food market. Another reason I strongly suggest If you can afford it, is to purchase a private club membership .

Hope it helps!

that said, i hope people will be reasonable in chope-ing bays. several minutes while waiting for your friends to arrive are fine but if the bays are not used for a pro-longed time, we should release the bay to people who are already waiting to use the bays.

once, a couple next to me used two bays at mbgc, then they took a break, had dinner at the canopy for more than 40 mins, kept their clubs on the bay to chope.

this is while people are waiting to use the bays.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:18 am

pushslice wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:

Hope it helps!

that said, i hope people will be reasonable in chope-ing bays. several minutes while waiting for your friends to arrive are fine but if the bays are not used for a pro-longed time, we should release the bay to people who are already waiting to use the bays.

once, a couple next to me used two bays at mbgc, then they took a break, had dinner at the canopy for more than 40 mins, kept their clubs on the bay to chope.

this is while people are waiting to use the bays.

You can always do it hawker centre style. You know how some people throw the tissue paper away and pretend they never knew it existed Smile

ps. look out for cameras though!
Back to top Go down
Golfer Guy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

There are some seriously screwed up golfers out there and I don't mean that from a skills point of view. Generally most golfers at the range are ok but some of them are louts. Another pet peeve of mine is those golfers who come to the range and speak on their mobile phone like the whole world is deaf!!
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:22 am

tronos wrote:
i got a stupid question...what is the proper action to take when u hear "FORE!!!".

PRAY!!! Works for me so far Wink

Talking abt this, one more unwritten rule is to shout FORE as loud as you can when your ball goes wayward, no matter whether you "think" there are ppl there or not. Too often have i seen comments like " no one there on lah" and then a buggy pops up.
Back to top Go down
CAless
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
CAless

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Does the dress code applies on driving range as well? Cos I saw someone wearing jeans at the Bishan driving range last week. Shocked
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:39 pm

wearing appropriately for any occasion is a form of self respect..
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Here are some FAQ's hope they help. http://www.singaporegolfservices.com/FAQ.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I would really like to emphasise something that is not really unspoken but closer to widely forgotten or widely ignored.

Everybody who plays golf should know not to hit a shot into the green if there are golfers still on the green.

However, there seems some confusion as to when they can hit the shot, some hit while the golfers are still walking to the buggy, some wait for the golfers in front to get into the buggy, some wait until everyone has driven off .... etc

So what exactly does the flight in front being "clear" mean?

They must be out of reach of the distance of your intended shot. Being left or right does not count, wait for them to leave your intended distance before taking your shot.

e.g. Golfers are 40m left of the green you are aiming at but still within range of the iron you are holding, DO NOT take the shot!

I have had to explain this to many golfers who think that they have the right to hit as long the the flight in front has left the green. THAT IS INCORRECT. It does not matter how accurate you think you are. If the best players in the world can't hit 18/18 greens every time they play, you definitely have a chance of missing the green, no matter how good you think you are.

And as for those who like to send warning shots at slow players and behave all macho about it, I am pretty sure that the law does not take too kindly to INTENTIONALLY placing another human being at risk from a potentially lethal projectile. Shouting FORE is not going to cover you if it is clear that the flight in front is in the fairway on the whole that you are playing in full view of the tee box.

Bit of a rant, but for new golfers, please do not take safety for granted or forget about it. I say this because when you first start, EVERYONE will be asking you to play faster. Don't forget to be safe because of all that ...

Back to top Go down
CAless
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
CAless

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I kept reading about slow player. How slow is slow? What is the usual speed? Is there a standard or guideline? Cos I searched online and the information I got varies quite alot.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Bout reserving bays

Had a lady reserve 4 bays at MBGC in the evening. Those who have been to MBGC in the evenings will know how crowded it is. Was there at about 745. Saw her clubs on the mat of 4 bays. So I asked her if anyone is using. Her reply, 'Its reserved!'. Fine, so i waited for an empty bay, which i had in about 10 mins later. This lady's frens came at about 845! for an hour during peak period, those 4 bays were empty because of some lady who is so afriad she cant have a bay.

Honestly, I think people in MBGC sud be discouraged from reserving too many bays.

Last edited by nientsu on Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

nientsu wrote:
Bout reserving bays

Had a lady reserve 4 bays at MBGC in the evening. Those who have been to MBGC in the evenings will know how crowded it is. Was there at about 745. Saw her clubs on the mat of 4 bays. So I asked her if anyone is using. Her reply, 'Its reserved!'. Fine, so i waited for an empty bay, which i had in about 10 mins later. This lady's frens came at about 845! for an hour during peak period, those 4 bays were empty because of some lady who is so afriad she can have a bay.

Honestly, I think people in MBGC sud be discouraged from reserving too many bays.

I saw this in OCC one night, after abt half an hour one of the regular beside him told him off because his friend still did not turn up. This is very bad lor. Btw his friend finally turn up abt 1 hr later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking   Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid Questions That You Are Afraid Of Asking
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next