Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots

Go down 
+10
Roystonnn
Duval_S
duffader
bkll
HyBriD
TourSwing
ljlow
mloy
NikeN
scottycollector
14 posters
AuthorMessage
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots Empty
PostSubject: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am

Hi guys,

Lately, I've been keeping track of the weaker parts of my game and I've found that i'm struggling with approach shots (around 100m). So i thought i'd ask for feedback / advice on the following.

In your opinion, which of the following methods helps to increase consistency and accuracy for approach shots:

1. Open up your stance (ie feet point left of target) & Open up the face of your Pw
2. Do a half - 3/4 swing with your Pw
3. Do a full shot with your GW / SW.
4. Any other methods?

Option 1 seems to work best for me.

Please kindly also share any tips or advice (on technique, drills, swing thoughts etc) to help make approach shots land near the pin consistently

THANKS!!!
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Wow bro, u will b breaking 80 tonite! cheers
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm

kenkong79 wrote:
Wow bro, u will b breaking 80 tonite! cheers

I also think so. lol!
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:23 pm

i use option 1 for all my wedges... good spin...
however still learning the distance...
as it spins, and sometime even backspins, distance has to be aggressive...

worst experience...
MBGC hole 1, red pin, landed on but backspin caught the slope then into longkang...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Too much spin is a bad thing ... lately, a 3/4 controlled swing with my wedges is giving me the best results in terms of trajectory and spin ... and therefore accuracy

I find that more than opening up the stance, flaring open the left foot at least 45degrees makes a big difference
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I think a lot uses Option 1.

Making a full swing on Approach shot should always be consistent.

So making a Quarter swing is a better approach.

Make a smooth easy swing which most Tour Pro does

I have also seen Single handicappers in our country who uses 7 or 9 iron in their approach shot specially if the pin is located at the back.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 pm

option 2 for me. Better for distance control.

I used to have some directional control issues with short irons, but problem solved when I get my lie angle fitted.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Split your grip into 3 sections, and choke down to middle and to the lowest and hit full swing, see whats is the difference in distance.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I think the solution to improving accuracy comes fm the ability to have a good long game.

I seen folks...drive 250m....then use PW..... If use PW....HOW NOT To ON !!!

I have to use my 6W....to approach.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I think the solution to improving accuracy comes fm the ability to have a good long game.

I only know a few that always use wedges for approaches, I think more related to par 5s. but if you lay up to a inbetween distance, then it will be quite silly.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 7:35 pm

My shot tends to go straight then left.
Sometimes manageable, sometime it goes very much left.

Few mths ago i tried option 1 + 2, on PW.
It works for me also. Quite accurate.

Now i even use tat on my 7, 8 & 9 iron for less than 140m range. It still works!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 pm

HyBriD wrote:

I have also seen Single handicappers in our country who uses 7 or 9 iron in their approach shot specially if the pin is located at the back.

Bro, 7 iron for approach will the ball sit ?
or open the stance an club face to get it to sit ?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 am

Wah! So many technicalities. I think most important is practice, practice and more practice. The flag position would also play an important role in determining the type of club to use.

Let's say flag is at the back, I always use a longer iron and let it land somewhere 1/3 of the green and let it run to the flag. I am no good at backspins, unfortunately.

Most important is plan your next shot for your favourite yardage.
Back to top Go down
Dan5
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dan5

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 am

Duval_S wrote:

White Flag Bro you are so RIGHT!!! a lot of people say distance not important but when people use wedges for 2nd shot, we still using hybrid or wood how to be consistence compare to short iron. No Need more stroke esp. from long hitter
Back to top Go down
waybalegolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
waybalegolf

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 am

Have you try the spot marking approach....some of our SGG guys have tried it and it work for them.

Stand behind the ball, in line to the flag then mark a spot about 8" in front of the ball in line to the flag.

Do your option 1 stance....but you have to remember 2 things..

1) Do not look up and maintain your left arm straight when you strike the ball
2) Once you strike the ball, make sure that your club's face is square and follow through above the spot that you have marked before finishing your swing.

Hope this can help you to get direction and closer to the pin.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 10:30 am

thanks for all the advice guys. anyway i played at marina last night and true enough my approach shots killed me.

will try out the tips / advice mentioned here, and definitely will practice practice practice

have a great weekend!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots   QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUERY on improving accuracy of Approach shots
Page 1 of 1