Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes

Go down 
+14
audi
jason.koh.54966
Turbo
nutty88
Kengnam
peace2903
crayon33
ljlow
NikeN
Babooliamkeng
smallhorse
navik
enwee
scottycollector
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes Empty
PostSubject: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

[img]REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes TruelinkswearPHX[/img]

Hi guys, my PHX arrived yesterday and i thought i should share some thoughts with those who are also thinking of ordering a pair.

1. WHERE TO BUY?

I ordered these directly from the Truelinkswear website. I was fortunate to get hold of the limited Masters edition ie green lace and green sole, which is now out of production and out of stock.

Shipping cost me US$25, which was quite reasonable. Total came up to slightly under SGD 160. In my opinion, it's still on the expensive side since u can get a high-end footjoy at the same price. However, i really wanted to try a spikeless golf shoe since my footjoys were causing my feet to ache after 18 holes.

2. SIZING

The website stated that i should buy half size smaller for the PHX. I wear US size 10.5 on my Asics and Nike trainers. So i orderd a US size 10.
However, the US size 10 still turned out to be slightly too big. I think this is because of the large toe box. However, after putting in one layer of in-sole, the shoes fit better now, although a size 9.5 would still be a perfect fit. You may wish to note that my Footjoys were also US 9.5

3. COMFORT

One of the selling points of these shoes is the comfort. They lived up to the expectation as they were really comfortable. Largely due to being spikeless and having a wide toe box. However, due to the wide toe box, the shoes also felt a little clumsy. I suppose it's the same effect as if u were wearing flippers. Just not as extreme. It took a bit of getting used to.

4. PERFORMANCE

I tested them out at the driving range and they felt ok. My concern was that the large toe box may inhibit my swing, but fortunately it didn't. I'll be bringing them out to the course on Friday. I'll be able to give an update on the performance on course thereafter, in particular, whether my feet still ache after 18 holes, and whether they provide good traction on the course.

5. QUALITY

The material feels good and of high quality. Definitely not cheap rubber / fabric.

CONCLUSION

Thus far, my impression is that the PHX are a well made pair of shoes. The wide toe box provides greater comfort but also looks and feel a little clumsy. In terms of spikeless shoes, they are cheaper than ECCO. However, I still doubt they are worth S$160. A more appropriate price would probably be about $120.

Hope my review is helpful.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Is it leather?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 pm

This is what's stated on the website on PHX:

* Barefoot Platform
* Full Grain Leather Upper
* 3D Mesh Liner
* Memory Foam Heel
* Ergo-fit Insole
* ErgoTraction 2.0 Outsole
* Dual Density Anti-Slip Rubber Sole
* Water Resistant

U may also find this link useful. Provides a comparative table on all their models

http://www.truelinkswear.com/style/
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 pm

FJ coming out with one w/o studs as well. The soles a bit like ecco, price around $180.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 am

looks soft and comfy, How is the thickness of the sole? low like normal sneakers or similar to normal golf shoes?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 am

low like normal sneakers. i think they are trying to achieve the 'barefoot' effect. although to be quite honest, it just feels like normal sneakers....
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 am

It's plain and simple looking.
I like it.

If only if there is a group sales. ^^
Thank you for sharing.

smallhorse
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Barefoot is good, I'm swing better when barefoot, more stable and wun tiptop
Back to top Go down
Babooliamkeng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm

got my PHXs today!! white upper/baby blue sole.

really funky and trendy looking gig. feels so light and comfy.

definitely a far cry from the crusty and traditional looking golf shoes out there. Second pair will be on the way soon.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Scotty, shipping cost just $25 direct from true? that's much cheaper than the rest of the online retailers, how long. did it take to arrive in sg?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Yup. Abt 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 10:32 am

just wanted to update that i played with these shoes yesterday at marina. very comfortable. no aching feet after 18 holes. no issues with traction.

now just need to try playing in wet conditions to test out the waterproof-ness
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 10:39 am

This morning is the right timing!!!
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 pm

been on Truelinkswear Tour for past 3 months+, waterproof-ness is excellent unless the water goes in from top (very heavy rain...)

juz tried playing without shoe laces this morning... to my surprise, didnt feel loose at all... nice elastic strap securing my feet... Smile
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:38 pm

I received my PHX today. It was a color/design that I wanted to have since my corporate colors are Orange and Blue.

REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes 20120502194217
By crayon333 at 2012-05-02

For my most recent trip to the US, I wore my FJ streets and enjoyed 1 round of golf in them, and this helped me realized how comfortable "street style" shoes are compared to golf shoes.

Although the size is a bit smaller than what I am used to, I could see an improvement of this model over the previous year's model in the aspect of having more level toe to heel design. In the previous years model, the shoe has lesser height in the heel section of the shoe so that the wearer tends to feel as all your weight is concentrated in the heel of the shoe. There is also some improvement in the traction of this shoe.

One question for fellow Truelinkswear wearers: Do you guys grip down on your clubs to maintain the same angle of attack on your clubs. It appears to me that there could be at least 2 cm to 3 cm difference in my height compared to when I am wearing these shoes compared to regular golf shoes.

Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Great review on the shoes... Now gian already... Prib get a pair...
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 6:41 am

crayon33 wrote:
One question for fellow Truelinkswear wearers: Do you guys grip down on your clubs to maintain the same angle of attack on your clubs. It appears to me that there could be at least 2 cm to 3 cm difference in my height compared to when I am wearing these shoes compared to regular golf shoes.
it took me couple of rounds to get used to the new feel (high toe)... no specific setup/grip adjustment made...think most importantly is that it has to fit well...
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:52 am

i also didnt make any adjustment to my setup / grip.
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:56 am

Change setup becos to a pair of new shoe?
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 9:08 am

Kengnam wrote:

Same theory as changing your set up because of what your lie angle on the clubs. A 1 degree change could make a difference in draw or straight shots.

Also another way to think about this the lie on the fairway. For example, ball above feet tends to promote a draw or shot to the left and ball below feet tends to induce a fade or shot to the right.

Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:03 am

I like the white/orange one, it just looks so cool.

I have the Adicross street style golf shoe from Adidas and so far so good. Wore it to Istanbul recently and played two rounds of golf. The best thing is that I only need to bring one pair of shoes!
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:12 am

crayon33 wrote:
Kengnam wrote:

Same theory as changing your set up because of what your lie angle on the clubs. A 1 degree change could make a difference in draw or straight shots.

Also another way to think about this the lie on the fairway. For example, ball above feet tends to promote a draw or shot to the left and ball below feet tends to induce a fade or shot to the right.

I think you are being overly concerned. although theoretically, the height of your sole may affect your lie etc, i don't think the difference is great enough in any golf shoes for you to feel that difference. maybe if u wear something drastic like 4 inch heels, then u may have to change ur setup etc

otherwise, u will have to change ur setup everytime u buy a new pair of shoes, which doesn't make sense (unless u find one of the exact same specs).

So my take is that u don't have to worry or think so much. there is no perceptible difference. it's just another pair of golf shoes. once u put ur feet in it, they will feel like a part of u
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:15 am

Just got my True PHX yesterday. Usually wear Footjoy size 7, but found the True PHX size 7 a bit tight (might be due to the fact that I've flat feet). If I took out the insole, they feel just fine, so I guess a 7.5 might fit me better.

Just wondering if its ok to wear the shoes without the insole? The True sales rep told me that I could ship the shoes back to them (at my cost) and they could ship me a replacement pair (at their cost).
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Guys, fyi intheholegolf is having a pretty good discount on truelinkswear. some PHX models going for just US$59.95.

Shipping is US$38 for one pair, $50 for 2 pairs and $62 for 3 pairs.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 pm

I wonder if this type of golf shoes can create effective traction even without studs. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes   REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

REVIEW of Truelinkswear PHX golf shoes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next