Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driving Range: Is it just me???

Go down 
+9
Hogan
dmateo
sandkie
Duval_S
TigaWood
Begbie
TourSwing
JonL_TK
chien
13 posters
AuthorMessage
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Driving Range: Is it just me??? Empty
PostSubject: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:52 pm

I know most if not all of you, diligently go to the range to whack 200 balls in a common hope to improve your game.. My problem is, I can't go to the range, cos every time I play on the course after a couple of sessions on the range, I would play worse...

Any likeminded people out there and anybody has a say about what is the correct way to practice on the range so one's game would actually improve???

cheers Cobra Smiley

Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Chien... Usually when i find time to go to the range especially at TMCC i tend to start to work my way from the 50m to the 150m mark...

I will practice my chipping/approach to the 50m...
Usually will practice about 30 balls

Followed by shots to the 100m mark...
Am just looking for general direction and making sure that my 9iron & PW is able to fly towards the 100m mark
Again... this routine will probably be about 30 balls

Then its up to my 7iron & 6iron to aim at the 150m mark...
Again its general direction for me
Another 30 balls again

Lastly... I will work on my driver and/or fairway wood
If working on both... 5 balls each to the 200m mark
Again its just general direction

I usually work on my ball striking & alignment during my practice sessions
I will usually just practice 100-120 balls during a practice session

For each shot... i will make sure i go through my pre shot routine as if i was on a course! This helps me when am on the course

Training Aids i use are:
1. Compression Board (www.compressionboard.com)
2. The Swinkey (www.swinkey.com)

If i have the time... i will go practice in the bunker and practice my putting as well
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 am

Is this compressionboard available locally? And it wont break regardless of swingspeed?
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 am

TourSwing wrote:
Is this compressionboard available locally? And it wont break regardless of swingspeed?
The Compression Board is not available locally... So far some have tested it and it still has broke yet
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 am

Haha.. I have the same problem... i've stopped going to the range for 3mths with an exception of 50 balls I typically hit whenever I can before a game.

played better since then.... I have no idea why.. maybe body less aches..
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 am

Great training aids!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 am

I want to help but my philosophy mite nt work with some
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 am

chien wrote:
I know most if not all of you, diligently go to the range to whack 200 balls in a common hope to improve your game.. My problem is, I can't go to the range, cos every time I play on the course after a couple of sessions on the range, I would play worse...

Any likeminded people out there and anybody has a say about what is the correct way to practice on the range so one's game would actually improve???

:cheers: :cobra:

If your goal is to fine tune your swing, 200 balls are okay. But if you want to prepare for game like the next day I think maybe too much.
In general, try to practice in the range with the same attitude if you are preparing for next day game.
1. Use your pre routine shot every ball you hit.
2. Target different targets.
3. Change club after one ball hit.
4. Better if you have course yardage so you can play imagenery golf. Hit driver see where it goes, subtract the difference to get what is left, pick club then hit again.

Try no 4. you will find
1. You spend same amount of time for 50 balls with normal 200.
2. About your mental state . How tempting it is to hit the same club again after poorly hit shot.
3. Maybe you are always short of over, adjust it for the next day game.
4. You will use a lot of wedges for those 20-40m

My 2 cents
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am

or just limit your self to 3 balls per club for anything that has no Wedge words on it and spend the rest 50 on the wedges hitting all those 100,90,70, 50, 40, 20m marker.. that's what I always do anyway when I'm in the range...
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am

try to vary your aim and alignment at the range like aiming straight, left, right. the range is like a box so maybe if you are used to this "aid", you may not align yourself correctly when on the course. for me, the range is to warm up before I practice with the driver; (it's called driving range, right?). :-)
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 am

I go driving range just to look at XMMs.... the more XMMs I see... the better my game the next day... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for all the great advice guys.... cheers

And it's good to know I'm normal cos there's somebody out there (in Begbie) similar to me.. Laughing

Will provide some feedback soon...

Wish all a great Swing week ahead...

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Someone once told me that going to the range alone does more harm to our golf swing.

Very few of us have honed our instincts well enough to know what we are doing in our swings. That's why most of us are surprised when we first see our own swing videos.

Without someone watching us, or a video taping of our swing at the range, we are only perfecting our errors... Shocked

That's why we don't improve and play worse at the course afterwards... Razz
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 pm

r510tp wrote:
Someone once told me that going to the range alone does more harm to our golf swing.

Very few of us have honed our instincts well enough to know what we are doing in our swings. That's why most of us are surprised when we first see our own swing videos.

Without someone watching us, or a video taping of our swing at the range, we are only perfecting our errors... Shocked

That's why we don't improve and play worse at the course afterwards... Razz

That's why I use the Swinkey...
It can be used as a Monopod where I can attach my iPhone or camera and take videos of my swing.

Great for working on drills or looking at one's own swing without relying on anyone else.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:43 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
I go driving range just to look at XMMs.... the more XMMs I see... the better my game the next day... What a Face

do we go to the same driving range? how come i no see xmm?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm afraid that I haven't set foot in the range for almost a year. The last time I was close enough to a range was when I met drawbias to buy a club off him and he was practising at MBGC. Since then, my only practice comes on the course.

But I do advocate going to the range if you're serious about improving. I know of golfers who practice religiously and play sparingly. When they do play, they are outstanding because of the practice they have undertaken.

But remember also that while practice makes perfect, it also makes permanent. Simply, if you keep hacking away on the mat (hitting a bad swing), you'll have that bad swing set in stone. That would be more counter-productive that not going to the range at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving Range: Is it just me???   Driving Range: Is it just me??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving Range: Is it just me???
Page 1 of 1