Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft

Go down 
+7
gohkunyang
tronos
Doraemon
Kengnam
Turbo
Shanks!
crayon33
11 posters
AuthorMessage
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft Empty
PostSubject: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 am

I often encounter this: when I swing a driver on a shaft that I perceive to be too soft or not stiff enough, I will lose my shots right, even to the extent of slicing it.

I often witness a pro or a good player take a driver, and irregardless of the flex, weight be able to hit it. My question: how do you guys do it? Do you slow your swing speed to the flex of the driver or do you just use your normal swing?

Anyone here ever hit a 300 yards drive, non elevation assisted or strong wind assisted with a Regular or Amateur shaft?
Back to top Go down
Shanks!
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Shanks!

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I played with a local pro once. He hits it 260m with a stock regular shaft. Simply amazing. I don't know how to spell his name, but I know he is now sponsored by BFG.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes, my playing partner who is a Korean, 1.7m tall and barely 68 kg drove 310 yards without wind assisted and on non-elevated tee box. But he only drove that distance once. On average, his driving distance is 270 yards. He is using a Burner S/F 1.0, 10.5 deg loft with Matrix Ozik S-Flex stock shaft.

After witnessing that kinda drive, I questioned myself if it is really necessary to re-shaft our drivers with aftermarket shafts. scratch
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Turbo wrote:
Yes, my playing partner who is a Korean, 1.7m tall and barely 68 kg drove 310 yards without wind assisted and on non-elevated tee box. But he only drove that distance once. On average, his driving distance is 270 yards. He is using a Burner S/F 1.0, 10.5 deg loft with Matrix Ozik S-Flex stock shaft.

After witnessing that kinda drive, I questioned myself if it is really necessary to re-shaft our drivers with aftermarket shafts. scratch
Izzit this Ginseng Chicken Soup (人参鸡汤)made those Korean drove so far. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Doraemon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Doraemon

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm

crayon33 wrote:
I often encounter this: when I swing a driver on a shaft that I perceive to be too soft or not stiff enough, I will lose my shots right, even to the extent of slicing it.

I often witness a pro or a good player take a driver, and irregardless of the flex, weight be able to hit it. My question: how do you guys do it? Do you slow your swing speed to the flex of the driver or do you just use your normal swing?

Anyone here ever hit a 300 yards drive, non elevation assisted or strong wind assisted with a Regular or Amateur shaft?

Softer is definitely Further but chances of Hook/Slice is Bigger.
Stiffer can be straighter but definitely hits shorter.

Pro Players use X-Stiff to be more accurate but loses some distance.

Conclusion,
If R Flex cannot hit the distance then S Flex SURE cannot...
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Kengnam wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Izzit this Ginseng Chicken Soup (人参鸡汤)made those Korean drove so far. Laughing

played with Ang Mo once...300++ drive, Burner 10.5 stock S-Flex (claim he bought it in Singapore = Asian flex) BUT he slice a couple of drives (maybe thats where the after market shaft will help ... in accuracy)
Back to top Go down
gohkunyang
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey guys,

crayon33: yes sometimes we do swing a little softer for the shaft to "kick in" or in other words, we try to have a few practice swings or waggles to feel the swing weight of the shaft so that we can roughly gauge how the shaft is going to react and adjust our swing speed for it. I recently hit a Ping i20, R-flex to the back of the trees at NSRCC Changi from the lower deck...not sure how far that is but think it aint too bad! haha! ;p

Turbo: The Matrix Ozik is a really stable shaft and expensive too! I have tried it and it is awesome! Just havent had the chance to do a switch! Of course at the end of the day it all depends on the swing but to have the Matrix Ozik is an additional edge over the other shafts! (If i'm not wrong it costs close to $800, just for the shaft!!!)

Have a great weekend guys!!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 pm

stiffness of the shaft is not standard by the just the letter R or S. It's more to the club head speed.

Anyway to add, not all shaft will be suitable for u. You need to try them out.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Doraemon wrote:

Conclusion: If R Flex cannot hit the distance then S Flex SURE cannot...[/b][/color] Rolling Eyes

I always tot if one uses shaft too soft for him, he couldnt maximise his distance..

Actually, ever since i switched to stiffer n heavier shaft, i gained 20-30m more n straighter. Now i tink probably due to shaft weight which made my tempo smoother..

But again, recently slices r comin back!!! Sob..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:45 am

If a proficient golfer hits a driver with an X flex and a L flex, provided they weight the same...both will produce the same distance.

The "whip" is cause by the flex of the shaft in response to the timing of the impact. it does nothing for the distance and this have been scientifically proven (read "The Scientific Truth Of the Golf Swing by Steen Winther). the stiffness of the shaft delays or accelerate the impact hence the main influence is one of timing and feel.

Now the timing is the key influence why you impact better or otherwise. Generally (i caution that one should not blame their equipment solely as one's swing has a greater influence on good or bad shots) a shaft that is too stiff tends to go right (slice) and a shaft that is too soft tends to go left (hook). again this can go either way and the reason is due to trying to time the shot.

coming back to more proficient player and professionals, they usually have a keener sense of hand eye coordination and biomechanics. hence they adapt fast and by the 3 to 5 shot, they would be able to hit most drivers straight. the difference in a control environment is one can hit shots after shots to get the timing right. Out on the course, one has only one chance so the fitter will have to understand the natural tempo and mindset of the golfer.

now thats why i always propagate that golfers do not change too often as they will confused their motor control. if a golfer is using a R flex and if you pass him a driver and tell him its an X, he will try harder and the result is always unsatisfactory. efoong did a test recently and we had an X flex in the setup. most golfers really love that shaft and when they were told its an X, most were surprised. it just goes to show that the human mind is often closed and we rely on markings to guide us on choices.

OT...i remembered a successful bra company who marked up sizes of their range. why...imagine a regular 34 B who now can use a 34 C. it makes one feel better. Idea!!!!

i hope it would answer some of the myths you have and if you want a more detailed chat on this, come by the Den....haha

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:59 am

Roystonnn wrote:
Doraemon wrote:

Conclusion: If R Flex cannot hit the distance then S Flex SURE cannot...[/b][/color] Rolling Eyes

I always tot if one uses shaft too soft for him, he couldnt maximise his distance..

Actually, ever since i switched to stiffer n heavier shaft, i gained 20-30m more n straighter. Now i tink probably due to shaft weight which made my tempo smoother..

But again, recently slices r comin back!!! Sob..

I'm the reverse, I tend to hit further and strike better with softer shaft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft   Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swinging a softer (or not so stiff) shaft
Page 1 of 1