Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help with 5 Iron..

Go down 
+14
Technospaz
Begbie
shimizu.toruk
ChrisD
BigblackGoof
scottycollector
Derek
nutty88
sandkie
TheFocalPoint
samT
eiji
Batman
Lisy
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Played with Irons 5,6,7,8,9 P,A,S Wood 3,5,7 Driver

Have no trouble with hitting all the other..
But only Iron 5.. can hit to 100 only..
I do not understand where I have gone wrong..

Any ideas??

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Swing Cheers Jump Cheers Jump

Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Practise n practise..
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Hit it like a 6 iron
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Lisy wrote:
Played with Irons 5,6,7,8,9 P,A,S Wood 3,5,7 Driver

Have no trouble with hitting all the other..
But only Iron 5.. can hit to 100 only..
I do not understand where I have gone wrong..

Any ideas??

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Swing Cheers Jump Cheers Jump

How far you hitting your irons? A common problem with golfers who dun have enuf swing speed, there might be v little difference in distance between irons.
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Batman wrote:
Practise n practise..

I will definitely.. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 pm

eiji wrote:
Hit it like a 6 iron

Rolling Eyes Tried to hit it just like any other irons already..
Still cannot make the distance.. Shocked Shocked
very weird.. Question Question
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 pm

[/quote]
How far you hitting your irons? A common problem with golfers who dun have enuf swing speed, there might be v little difference in distance between irons.[/quote]

If okay.. not tired.. can hit nicely.. ball drop not including rolling..
Iron 6 is about 150 - 160+ when tired only can do 110.. (this shot is still a combination of swing/power.. still haven't mastered the effortless shot which I am still learning and practicing)
Iron 9 is about 90 - 110
Iron 5 cannot go further than 100-110.. weird weird weird.. just don't know why..??

I use wood more often..

Unless when the ball is in tall grass then I use my irons.. or when I do not have any confidence with my wood..

Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

Well, if you're a Red Tee golfer like you say you are, then you're doing fine for 110m for your 5 iron. Some of us Blue Tee golfers also get that distance with a driver sometimes..
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 am

Lisy wrote:

How far you hitting your irons? A common problem with golfers who dun have enuf swing speed, there might be v little difference in distance between irons.[/quote]

If okay.. not tired.. can hit nicely.. ball drop not including rolling..
Iron 6 is about 150 - 160+ when tired only can do 110.. (this shot is still a combination of swing/power.. still haven't mastered the effortless shot which I am still learning and practicing)
Iron 9 is about 90 - 110
Iron 5 cannot go further than 100-110.. weird weird weird.. just don't know why..??

I use wood more often..

Unless when the ball is in tall grass then I use my irons.. or when I do not have any confidence with my wood..

[/quote]

Your 6 iron is longer than mine (145-150m), but your 9 iron is shorter (120-125). Are you sure you got your distance right?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Well, if you're a Red Tee golfer like you say you are, then you're doing fine for 110m for your 5 iron. Some of us Blue Tee golfers also get that distance with a driver sometimes..

But she is hitting her 6i 150-160+ leh. That's far by my standard. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 am

Buy a 5 hybrid ... easier to launch, more forgiving and further than a 5 iron if your swing speed is on the slower end of the scale like mine
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am

if u'r already hitting everything well, then i doubt it has anything to do with ur swing.

it may just be that the weight, loft and length of the 5iron makes it difficult for u

i think we all have an 'iron' threshold. for some ppl, it's the 3iron or 4iron, where they start losing consistency and find it hard to hit. this is where most ppl will bring in the replacement 3 or 4 hybrid

in ur case it seems like it's the 5 iron. so i agree with Derek. Try out a 5hybrid.

Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 am

Hybrid is a good option... The other way is to customise your irons. I used to have problem hitting my 5 iron, only after i got my irons fitted, i am using less woods on fairway and more irons. My 5 irons give me 170m there about...

But then again, in some days my 8 irons goes farther... Razz
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 am

Feb 2012 issue of Golf Digest, a person playing with hybrid irons can shoot 77. sure people might say things, but if you care about shooting low, you should consider have more hybrids.

Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 am

I hit 5i same distance as my 7i so I choose only to use 5 hybrid and 3 hybrid.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am

Just outta curiosity coming from a newbie - do people really care what equipment you use if you shoot a low score?

I mean, the objective at the end of the day is to get through 18 holes with the least number of strokes right?

Or is it more of a case getting a low score while doing it "right" way...?

No offence to the golf purists out there :-)
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am

Your 6i longer than mine (155m) .... Are you a male masquerading as female so that u can play red tees..?

By far, some of the LPGA players uses hybrids for that distance, esp the asian players... and ur using a 6i.

Not bad at all...

@Shimizu.toruk - if you look at some of the top PGA players, I still see quite a few playing cavity backs i.e. Lee Westwood, oosthuizen etc.. and there are those who carry many hybrids e.g YE Yang (USPGA Champion)... to these folks, score matters most... so they use what they're comfortable...

Last edited by Begbie on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am

Your 6i gets you to 150m+? That's pretty impressive.

Have you tried to choke down on your 5i a little. Sometimes, the length puts you off mentally so you psycho yourself into thinking it's a difficult club to hit.

If you try to choke down on the 5i a little, you get better accuracy and ultimately, may get better contact with the ball and produce an even sweeter shot. Don't assume that length of the club equals to better distance automatically.
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 am

@Lisy, if you can carry 6i 160+ from the fariway, you are already longer than a lot of the guys out there (me included!!!) so maybe you should bin the 5i and use hybrid/woods to cover your 165-200m gap.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am

Some of us have met Lisy before during one of the SSN, definitely not a guy. In fact, she is about the same size as mloy.

When we saw her then, she defintely had a nice smooth and fast swing. However, 150-160+ (meters) does seem to be a bit far with a 6 iron even with her swing, maybe Lisy meant yards?
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am

shimizu.toruk wrote:
Just outta curiosity coming from a newbie - do people really care what equipment you use if you shoot a low score?

I mean, the objective at the end of the day is to get through 18 holes with the least number of strokes right?

... some people also buy/use equipment so that they can post a higher score (instead of lower score). Why?
1) makes an already difficult game more difficult so they can give up golf.
2) pay same green fees, can hit more shots Smile

Last edited by LousyGolfer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am

Derek wrote:
Some of us have met Lisy before during one of the SSN, definitely not a guy. In fact, she is about the same size as mloy.

When we saw her then, she defintely had a nice smooth and fast swing. However, 150-160+ (meters) does seem to be a bit far with a 6 iron even with her swing, maybe Lisy meant yards?

But I tot Mloy is a bro?
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 am

shimizu.toruk wrote:

as with everything else in life...it doesn't matter what others think. the funny thing though, is that the more into golf u get, the less appealing u'll find chunky game improvement clubs
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 am

Begbie wrote:
Derek wrote:

But I tot Mloy is a bro?

That's a very elusive questions...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 am

Begbie wrote:
Derek wrote:

But I tot Mloy is a bro?

That's how hired killers make money Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help with 5 Iron.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with 5 Iron..   Help with 5 Iron.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with 5 Iron..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next