Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans

Go down 
+10
Technospaz
S70B
nientsu
wl71
duffader
shorthitter
pushslice
Lee36328
dmateo
TDO
14 posters
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans Empty
PostSubject: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 am

Observations made by a German national who has lived in Singapore for 9 years.

44 years of economic and material success have spawned some very strange behaviours among Singaporeans.

They spent so much to buy a house or flat, furnished it up like a palace, but spend their time outside, most of the time at work. And the maids are the ones enjoying the million-dollar or multi-million-dollar assets..

Then they pay so much, the highest in the world, for a car only to park at home. Too expensive to drive, too many ERPs and car park charges to pay. And they are encouraged to park their cars at home and take public transport, being cheaper and more convenient.

And when Singaporeans travel, instead of seeing the places, they went shopping. The best part is that they would head for the cheapest bargains, buying stuff that they could get in Chinatown or pasar malam, at even cheaper prices. But they are still happy that they got a bargain (because it's bought overseas).

And while the heartlanders are busy trying to make a life here, being told to bust off if they are not happy, which they could not, the rich and presumably very happy and contented citizens are buying up properties overseas just in case they need to make that escape from this paradise.

While many Singaporeans are thinking of jumping ship, or preparing to jump ship, hoards of new immigrants are rushing in to take their place in this paradise.

And to top it all up, they keep complaining about the government and all the policies that they found unpalatable, but come every election, they will vote and return the govt to power.

Strange Singaporean behaviours!

Do you agree with what this German wrote?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am

as such generalization is never entirely correct. To catagorically generalize a behaviour of a nation you need to have a credible data supporting it. It can be at a form of a survey and it has to be of sizeable volume as well. THen we can say it's somewhat represent the average with an error margin of xxx%.

Personal opinion with no basis is just that, a personal opinion with no basis. It's does not and should not be treated as a meaning full information of worst to be trusted.

For example, I easily will not fall into the generalization statement made by the german.
1. I don't have a maid.
2. I drive my car to work and to golf and to every tuituion my kids goes to
3. I don't spent too much on my house (bought it in 2005). it's all relative compared to now it's a bargain
4. I dont' do shopping when I go overseas. the most recent purchase is an Ibanex electric guitar for some 3xxx dollar.

I think those are enough points to say that it's just another generalization that does not merrit any serious attention or thought.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 am

Time to think out of the box!

There is no box....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 am

I wish drivers here would be patient and allow the car in front trying to enter the parking slot time to complete their parking, instead of moving off the second there is enough way to go. It's causing the driver who's parking to stop what he's doing and delays everyone behind (except the guy who drive through) even longer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm

pushslice wrote:
I wish drivers here would be patient and allow the car in front trying to enter the parking slot time to complete their parking, instead of moving off the second there is enough way to go. It's causing the driver who's parking to stop what he's doing and delays everyone behind (except the guy who drive through) even longer Very Happy

That's your only wish about drivers on the road? I have many.... Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Come to think of it, in terms of group think and herd behaviour, I wonder how uniform the behaviour of Germans would be in their society, and they have moved, lock stepped, into a direction that eventually led to what we know in history.

Interesting when we spin the question around on its head, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:39 pm

shorthitter wrote:
pushslice wrote:

One more weird behaviour about Singapore Drivers in a carpark, they tend to wait for carpark in B1 when there are loads of empty lots in B2 and I am very sure they are the ones that are complaining about the parking charges.
Back to top Go down
wl71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
wl71

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:51 pm

"While many Singaporeans are thinking of jumping ship, or preparing to jump ship, hoards of new immigrants are rushing in to take their place in this paradise."

Is the writer one of these new immigrants? Has his extended family settled in yet? Laughing

ERP? Pasar malam? Heartlanders? After 9 years, this person sounds more like a Singaporean now then a German! So he can probably identify with all this bizarreness that he is writing about too.

I would think every country has its own share of perceived bizarreness.

Isn't this what makes the world "go round"?

cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm

duffader wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
pushslice wrote:

One more weird behaviour about Singapore Drivers in a carpark, they tend to wait for carpark in B1 when there are loads of empty lots in B2 and I am very sure they are the ones that are complaining about the parking charges.

hahahah so true (esp. at Vivocity). I go to Parkway Parade often. Most drivers like to park at the very first empty lot they see, maybe for fear of not getting one later. But by parking on the P2-P4, they have to walk longer and take the stairs to get to the mall's entrance/lift.

I just drive straight thru to an empty level P6, park right next to the lift and reach my destination faster............or maybe they want to save petrol? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Bro.

I too like to park on p6 of parkway parade. Just take the lift to any floor you want.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 pm

God is fair.

They had Hitler.

Can I generalize too?

'Yah Yah' to that!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 pm

For a person who claims to have lived in Singapore for 9 years, I'm sorry to see that his/her observations are somewhat shallow. Yes, there is some truth to what he's saying but like Rex alluded, that's largely generalization.

I would have expected that someone who has spent that time abroad to be more open-minded and have an opinion which isn't quite so sheltered. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

But, then again, perhaps that writer was as well.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
For a person who claims to have lived in Singapore for 9 years, I'm sorry to see that his/her observations are somewhat shallow. Yes, there is some truth to what he's saying but like Rex alluded, that's largely generalization.

I would have expected that someone who has spent that time abroad to be more open-minded and have an opinion which isn't quite so sheltered. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I certainly do agree.

while the author has every right to say his Opinion about this & that.

I think he should try to live in PRC and see how the "New Rich China-Man" are behaving while traveling.

For some or I would say a lot are annoyed or pissed on how they "spit" or even make noise etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Sometimes we need to laugh at ourselves a bit. In one way or another, 1 or 2 of the traits described above may be true to some of us.

I fall into the category where I drive to work on workdays but almost never drive on weekends and take the public transport with my wife. This is except if there's golf in the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 pm

HyBriD wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I certainly do agree.

while the author has every right to say his Opinion about this & that.

I think he should try to live in PRC and see how the "New Rich China-Man" are behaving while traveling.

For some or I would say a lot are annoyed or pissed on how they "spit" or even make noise etc. etc.

No need to travel to so far to China, just come up to HCMC is good enough.

Pushslice, wait till you drive in HCMC.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Bro, I think there'll be no time to make such comments or write those stories with your kind of distractions at HCMC.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Winston: I love ur current group of avatars. :-)
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 pm

winston always never fail to make my nose bleed with his groups of avatars and make me miss HCMC alot again...sigh !!!
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Maybe it's meant to be light-hearted but i do take offence that this wiener starts off by suggesting that singaporeans are bizarre and then goes on with a half-ass attempt to list a bunch of 'behaviours', some of which are not even bizarre! Trying too hard to find examples of the so-called bizarre behaviour, if you ask me....

i mean, what is so bizarre about buying properties overseas in anticipation of one day retiring there or something? don't many westerners dream of retiring in the caribbean/hawaii, etc? i dont think it's bizarre at all...

and, what's so bizarre about wanting to have a nice and beautiful house/flat to go home to after a long day at work?

And there is also nothing bizarre about people (regardless of nationality) dreaming of migrating to another part of the world aka 'jump ship'. Just as some in singapore would like to move to australia, europe, etc... many westerners are also looking to come to Asia incl. singapore. it's just a case of getting bored and wanting new experiences etc.... you know, to go out and chiong.

finally, he is in no position to make such a simplistic dismissal of singaporeans' political activities and inclinations.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans   The Bizarre Behaviour of Singaporeans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1