Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....

Go down 
+22
Cyp_PGA
DK
Kengnam
eiji
pushslice
Lee36328
dmateo
HyBriD
golf_snowman
poresia
joshyo
Duval_S
BabyCroc
nientsu
buweeza
cwpei8888
dkk
fergo
mox
Winston
kevlee69
Begbie
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... Empty
PostSubject: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 am

HI guys, just need to lament a bit here... my first bad experience in sharing flights with strangers....

I had a game with a friend yesterday in MBGC , so since we 2 ball, they paired us up with another 2 guys.

We were assigned the 10th tee so we headed there while waiting for them. When they arrived, we got of our buggy and wanted to approach them to shake hands and introduce ourselves..but before we could do that they drove the buggy in front of us, took their drivers and teed off...

My and my partner tot maybe they shy or perhaps foreigners so not used to the culture of shaking hands and self introduction. We carried on with the next 3 holes without acknowledging each other.

They are beginners btw, topped drive, sliced irons shots, topped chips ping pong across greens.. any there was a par 5 we had to wait for 10 min on the green coz they were driving the buggy all over the shop. I have played with beginners before and really, I dun mind as long as the experience is pleasant, everyone's a beginner once. But they are the opposite of the beginners I have met.

They are rude, slow playing, not repairing divots, not raking bunkers and worse of all 1 of them threw a club on the par 3 when he landed into the bunker even after one of the lady marshall has told them off.

So while on the way to the back 9, we had to proceed to the restroom first to relieve (not JB course so cannot hide behind tree somewhere and relieve) so informed them that we will take a 5 min break.

When we got out of the restroom and proceed to the 1st tee box, we were stunned to see them hitting their second shot from the fairway. They DID NOT EVEN WAIT UP FOR US??!!!

I know what you folks are thinking.. are they from PRC? KOREA? JAPAN ETC.. Nope.. they are Singaporeans....... !!!

But it didn't stop there, marshall assigned us instead to join the flight behind us, which is a 2 ball also, a foreign couple..

The husband is quite a seasoned golfer while the wife appears to be a beginner, we found out that they are lawyers working here in SG. We introduced ourselves nicely and teed off... everything was going smoothly till we reached the green...

Etiquette was out of the window the moment we reached the first green, stepping on line, marking using a driver tee, not picking up the pin when closest to pin and everyone's on green... etc..

Since me and my partner was having a bit of wager, the stepping on line cheesed me a bit, but I gave them benefit of doubt that she forgot or just too gancheong to remember..

It carried on to the 4th hole and I just had to mention to the husband that they shouldn't be stepping on anyone's line. She went to him and said.."What what what did we do? " and her husband reminded her and she belted out.. "His marker is so small I dun even know where his line is.."...

Btw I use a typical marker everyone uses, size of a $1 coin and as shiny as Tiger woods forehead... Husband was more apologetic and told her wife to be ... but she insisted she didn't do anything wrong..

So on the hole #5 if I recall, my driver off the tee went left and OB.. and when I was about to line my provisional, she walked into the red tee, so I mentioned that I was gonna hit a pro ball..

The remark she made was just out of this world..."WHY DO YOU NEED TO HIT A PRO BALL, U CAN JUST HIT FROM WHERE THE BALL WENT OUT OF BOUNDS.."

After that, it went downhill from there... tooot ti tooot ti tooottt....
Back to top Go down
kevlee69
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kevlee69

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 am

Golf is no longer a game played by gentlemen and ladies. Too many assholes around. I feel your pain bro.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:38 am

You have my heart felt sympathies.....I never golf with strangers before, but I have golfed in flights with friends and their friends anf trust me, the exprience can be equally bad or even worse......

I am neither a pro or competnet player, but as a social golfer, I make it a point to learn the etiquette and behave properly on the course.....

Last edited by Winston on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 am

wow that's really quite jialat... and with strangers, it's tough trying to telling them that they are not getting the basic etiquette/rules right without ruffling any feathers...

as a relative beginner myself, if i'm joining flight with strangers, i will always be very polite and apologize in advance right at the beginning for any slowness on my part...
Back to top Go down
fergo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fergo

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 am

Winston wrote:

I am neither a pro or competnet player, but as a social golfer, I make it a point to learn the etiquette and behave properly on the course.....

well said! agree with you!

But Begbie, its just not your day to meet such a**holes!!! I feel you!
Back to top Go down
dkk
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
dkk

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am

Mine worst!

Played with 1 single HCP b4 and after 4th holes he came to me and told me off - "Please don't waste my time" i was like Shocked

Last edited by dkk on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 am

HAHAHA, can't stop laughing reading ur last playing couple. btw the two couple, we'd prefer the last couple. she can really make our day. we'd joke with them all day long and may be play along with her in the red tee using putter. Very Happy

agree, nowadays golf is not a gentlemen and ladies game anymore. Any ah-beng, ah-lian, ah-moo, ah-niu can play this game as long as u can afford it. but to master it, never been easy. the only concern nowadays is to play and get out from the course in one piece and not to get injured at all. so try to avoid confrontation and play in peace.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 am

I played at MBGC several times when I am bored of playing at home club and want to meet new kah kees (my experiences in MBGC had been good). So far the people I have met are quite nice and friendly although not 100% rules abident. I myself admit that I overlook some of the rules (e.g. sometimes putt out of turn, or walk over people's line) but I am particularly careful when playing with outsiders. I have encountered rude people for e.g the last time I played the flight behind keeps tee-ing off too close. One time their ball hit the road fly past our buggy. The guy in my flight said nevermind, dont want find trouble. My thought was to at least let the behind flight know that they are playing too close. Who knows the uncle's reply to us was "The ball hit the path, I shout "Ball (he meant Fore)" already". NB feel like taking his ball throw at him and shout "fore" also. Pay 100 dollars kena this kind of people. Plus the marshall and course staff has permanent DAO face. As if people owe them to play there
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Begbie wrote:
, marking using a driver tee, not picking up the pin when closest to pin and everyone's on green... etc..

Offline a bit...Can use driver tee to mark ball or not ah? I always do that....cos i always lose my ball markers. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Think the two newbies don like you lah bro... ROFL

Must have been a golfing nightmare under the sun...haha...

Nv jio me play....then no need to bear with such crap on the course liao...i confirm can see your ball marker lol!
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:26 pm

buweeza wrote:
I played at MBGC several times when I am bored of playing at home club and want to meet new kah kees (my experiences in MBGC had been good). So far the people I have met are quite nice and friendly although not 100% rules abident. I myself admit that I overlook some of the rules (e.g. sometimes putt out of turn, or walk over people's line) but I am particularly careful when playing with outsiders. I have encountered rude people for e.g the last time I played the flight behind keeps tee-ing off too close. One time their ball hit the road fly past our buggy. The guy in my flight said nevermind, dont want find trouble. My thought was to at least let the behind flight know that they are playing too close. Who knows the uncle's reply to us was "The ball hit the path, I shout "Ball (he meant Fore)" already". NB feel like taking his ball throw at him and shout "fore" also. Pay 100 dollars kena this kind of people. Plus the marshall and course staff has permanent DAO face. As if people owe them to play there

next time, if it happens for more than once and their ball lands near, just tee-up their ball, and give it your best drive - backwards.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:27 pm

U call me play next time.....i let u step on my line ok?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Quote :
dkk wrote:
Mine worst!

Played with 1 single HCP b4 and after 4th holes he came to me and told me off - "Please don't waste my time" i was like Shocked

Pls continue...what happen next???

u lucky liao...single HCP tell you

I kena fm a high HCP
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Eh, off topic a bit but what is "stepping" on line. I only ever play with friends but i dont step on their markers if thats what u mean or when they are taking their shots i just stand by the side. Thats safe play i assume.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:40 pm

To be fair, I have met many new friends playing with strangers who have now become my golf kakis.

In fact, this is the first time I have encountered such behaviour on the course.

This incident still wont deter me from playing with strangers.. I believe there are still many wonderful golfers out there who plays to the spirit of the game and who still wants to enjoy a round regardless who they're with.

Along the way in our journey to golfing heaven, we will unfortunately meet some bad apples, tho it may spoil the game there and then but we learn from the incident on how to approach when the situation arises again.

My advise to newbies is that most seasoned players have no issues sharing a flight with them as long as they show common courtesy and tact during the game, applying the ettiquette that makes the game more pleasant. Most importantly self introduction is important as it breaks the ice and shows grace in character.

We are beginners once and we know the pressures faced when hitting a shot esp when everyone else are waiting in the green... If you are taking too long to find your ball just drop one and move on. It shows that you're being considerate.. rather than going around the fairway looking for a lonely ball in the rough...

And as for the seasoned players who flout the rules time and time again, I think they need to go to the handicap workshop all over again. This time sucking on a pacifier throughout the lesson as a penalty.

@nientsu- I also used driver tee before, but typically, I stay away from doing so as it is an eyesore...but this bit was tolerable to me. Its the stepping of line. Just couldn't take it.
@babycroc - Last min game, finish work morning and rush for afternoon game.. if not sure jio u one..haha..

Last edited by Begbie on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 pm

@begbie - sometimes my last min also can wan.... but i think not much chance liao...when you leaving ah?
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:49 pm

i m sorry to hear of our bro bad experience when join flight.

i used to join flight n enjoy meeting fellow golfers but its lucky that i didnt meet such golfers.

i wonder if we can opt out and play on our own 2 balls if we encountered such bad flightmates.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm

wow....then i would say i'm the lucky one...

i play single ball, joining flight very often in MBGC...had play with uncles, foreigners, youngsters, beginners (btw me beginner also)..u name it...and really never 1 time i had such encounter like you do...

i believe, if i were had such encounter, i will just give up the betting and just treat it as a social game and arrange another betting game with my partner ..because my mood were totally affected and surely i cannot play well...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
wow....then i would say i'm the lucky one...

i play single ball, joining flight very often in MBGC...had play with uncles, foreigners, youngsters, beginners (btw me beginner also)..u name it...and really never 1 time i had such encounter like you do...

i believe, if i were had such encounter, i will just give up the betting and just treat it as a social game and arrange another betting game with my partner ..because my mood were totally affected and surely i cannot play well...

Thats exactly what we did. Just stopped the betting and played a casual game. Looking at their 4-5 "air swings" and completely missing the ball just not helping with the anticipation and anxiety to hit your next shot with 2 holes down and $2 poorer at the end of the day...

We reached the green as fast as we can and then just practised our chipping around there while waiting for them.

Just hit, drive and move forward... boom shakalaka...!!!

Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 pm

BabyCroc wrote:
@begbie - sometimes my last min also can wan.... but i think not much chance liao...when you leaving ah?

I last min ask you go range tonite, u say you got business appt wth gal. Sad Sad

On a more positive note, had my first taste of cigar on the golf course when this uncle whom I joined flight with gave me a stick. That was about 1.5 years ago
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Winston wrote:
You have my heart felt sympathies.....I never golf with strangers before, but I have golfed in flights with friends and their friends anf trust me, the exprience can be equally bad or even worse......

Bro Winston,

I know u not pro, nobody can be seriously if they have the girls surrounding them like you do... I do not even know why you even play golf with all the distraction.. I see u up more than pro. And with them around I sure u also always UP.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm

nientsu wrote:
BabyCroc wrote:

I last min ask you go range tonite, u say you got business appt wth gal. Sad Sad

On a more positive note, had my first taste of cigar on the golf course when this uncle whom I joined flight with gave me a stick. That was about 1.5 years ago

are you sure its real cigar the uncle gave to you? or is it not................. hmmm
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Begbie wrote:
nientsu wrote:
BabyCroc wrote:

are you sure its real cigar the uncle gave to you? or is it not................. hmmm

Yea man!! Real one!!! Its was one of my most memorable games. Played with 3 retirees. At Tee box 1, all act like virgin in front of the starting marshall. After that, the beers, the cigars, the portable radio all start comig out. Was just starting out in golf while they were playing for like 7-9 years. But they welcomed me with open arms!!!!
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey everyone and to the readers of this thread,

Let me share something which is quite an ugly news and this really took place in our country a few years back.

#1) Incident #1, a Korean who couldn't wait drove his ball towards the fairway and almost hit the Filipino golfer. And just to make the story short. A fist fight occur where two Filipino golfers and two Korean were cursing and using their golf clubs to hit one another

When the Koreans came to the locker room. The Korean guy seek helped from his fellow Korean and they gang on the two Filipino Golfers, who were brothers

Incident #2) Another incident took place where the Father of a famous Filipino Junior Golfer cursed and was in "Attack mode" towards a group of Muslim Filipino Politician golfers.

The Bodyguards physically hurt the father and son.
And the Golf board member removed the membership of the father.

You know when you hear this stories, we just have to be reminded to always stay cool and act Gentlemanly in and out

"Just always be reminded that there are still people acting UNEDUCATED"

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

MBGC is a public course, so you will always have beginner and all sort of people.
As some said this is a gentlemen game, so I think you've done what you can by telling them nicely the golf ettique. If they don't listen, what can you do, it's not like it's your lost in the long run, it will be theirs.

With regards to retaliation, I do realize that emotion will run high sometime specially when you're not playing your best game or bet heavily. But again do we need to degrade ourself to their standard ? Let them be the @$$hole that they are, but there is abolutely no reason fo us to lower our selfs to become one of them.

Peace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....   First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Bad experience with Sharing of flight in MBGC....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next