Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

golf bag... stand vs cart

Go down 
+7
silverhex
smallhorse
asahi
Derek
Newtogolf
areef218
supernova
11 posters
AuthorMessage
supernova
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

golf bag... stand vs cart Empty
PostSubject: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:50 am

im thinking of getting a golf bag from golf direct (one of the only few things i can get there)...

the taylormade monaco (cart bag) looks good. but am not sure cart bag or stand bag is preferred. is the only diff the weight? any comments welcome. thanks.

(sorry in advance if the qn sounds silly!)
Back to top Go down
areef218
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:57 am

Cart bag last forever and give your clubs max protection. Good for travelling overseas (except jb) and need to check in baggage. Stand bag is basically the opposite of all the above. But it is light and good for golfing in s'pore and jb. The choice is yours.
Back to top Go down
supernova
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:59 am

areef218 wrote:
Cart bag last forever and give your clubs max protection. Good for travelling overseas (except jb) and need to check in baggage. Stand bag is basically the opposite of all the above. But it is light and good for golfing in s'pore and jb. The choice is yours.

sorry can explain why cart bag isnt good for golfing in sg and jb? i gt a feeling its a stupid qn... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 am

I'm not too sure but I heard golfing in Singapore its more like a 'You Carry Your Own Bag, You Rake Your Own Bunker, You Keep Your Own Score.'.

As such, rather than carry a cart bag to kill yourself a stand bag's much more practical given its weight.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 am

If u only plan to play on courses with buggies, then a cart bag is more suitable.

Stand bags are really useful when u want to play on courses where it is a walking course without caddies. It is lighter and usually comes with a backpack like strap.

Biggest complain about stand bags is that the stand gives way quickly. One way to prolong the life of a stand bag is not to rest the bag on the stand at the driving range, i.e. stand it vertically instead of at an angle.

Cart bags are very durable, just heavier and more bulky.

It really is a matter of personal preference and your golfing habits.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:58 am

The matters of look of the bags (cart or stand) plays a part too......at least for me.
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 am

Plan to get both.
You will need them anyways.

There after you will think about buying travel golf bag protector, sunday bag and handbag.

Either way, do not worry too much. buy and enjoy. anyone of these you purchase will last for 2 years with reasonable care.
Back to top Go down
silverhex
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:33 am

i would recommend buying a stand bag. it is good enough. bcos you will be carrying it from the car to the bag drop or to the range. doesnt make sense to buy cart bag unless you are a touring pro Wink
Back to top Go down
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
guy013

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 6:18 pm

My 2 cents....

In Singapore we play mostly on courses with buggy so it makes much more sense to get a stand bag. Yes it is slightly heavier but no need to get those TOUR STAFF size bags. There's a lot of lightweight options to choose from. Check out titleist lightweight Cary bag from their website.

The biggest benefit of cart bag is it's core support. When u strap to the buggy it feels solid and planted. Not like stand bag where after a while it will slant to one side, more importantly after some time the "spine" of the bag will start to get crushed by the strap making it harder to put your clubs in. Of course the issue of the stands getting Lao hong after a while is the most common complaint.

Unless u play walking 9 holes often I would highly recommend cart bag. of course best is have both then u can swap. When traveling for golf definitely cart bag is better too. Can put way more stuff. Weight for me not so much of an issue cos the actual time spent carrying the bag is quite little. Most of the times is the bag handlers do for me.

As for the taylormade Cart bag u mentioned from GD, I think that one has no carrying handle. Serious. U can look again. Only has the sling strap. Quite dumb design if u ask me. But has LOADS of pockets.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey dude,

Just got the Monaco cart bag from GD and wanted to tell you that it does come with a handle. So far so good.

But do consider a stand bag cause sometimes really cannot tahan on walking courses...
Back to top Go down
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
guy013

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 pm

justinkohzx wrote:
Hey dude,

Just got the Monaco cart bag from GD and wanted to tell you that it does come with a handle. So far so good.

But do consider a stand bag cause sometimes really cannot tahan on walking courses...

Ok sorry then it's a different taylormade model without the handle.

For me cos I only play buggy courses so chose cart bag Smile
Back to top Go down
jfactor67
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:17 pm

asahi wrote:
The matters of look of the bags (cart or stand) plays a part too......at least for me.

I totally agreed with look factor. I also pondering over cart vs stand.
In the end, i go with my heart and got the Nike Xtreme Sport Carry III from GD
(Navy Pewter Blue). Si bei sui.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm

guy013 wrote:
justinkohzx wrote:
Hey dude,

Ok sorry then it's a different taylormade model without the handle.

For me cos I only play buggy courses so chose cart bag Smile
I think can burn more calories if play walking courses~ But then again, that's me. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
supernova
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 pm

tks all for your advice Smile
it looks like it can go either way. stand more practical for walking course, cart more practical for overseas/buggy courses.

just to hv a sense, more buggy or walking courses in sg? Smile
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 am

Most, if not all, courses in Singapore red buggy-fied. The only one that I know of that is walking is Mandai.

For me I have both cart n stand bag. Change them like changing bags like that lor
Back to top Go down
supernova
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Just got some callaway clubs so am looking for a bag for sure now.

Hv 2 stand bag options in mind - callaway hyperlite 4.0 and ogio ozone. both costs abt $200 locally, def not cheaper overseas cos of the ridiculous shipping. The ogio divider looks more appealing i think, tho callaway bag would match better. Pics below. Any other suggestions? Any place to get good deals on bags? I don't mind previous seasons' bags anyway Smile

golf bag... stand vs cart 306863_im_BLK~WHT____1_gsi?hei=405&wid=375&op_sharpen=1 golf bag... stand vs cart 306989_im_STEALTH____3_gsi?hei=405&wid=375&op_sharpen=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: golf bag... stand vs cart   golf bag... stand vs cart I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

golf bag... stand vs cart
Page 1 of 1