Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to overcome Ball Phobia

Go down 
+8
dmateo
tronos
Cyp_PGA
alvin7379
wilkang
eiji
JGoh
Botak88
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

How to overcome Ball Phobia Empty
PostSubject: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 am

when ever i practise swing, swee swee no prbm

once put a ball there, all bwang. No

funny i dun hve prbm wth other balls clown

pls advise

Last edited by Botak88 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am

It happens to 99% of amateur golfers like us.. to a certain degree.
The only solution is practice, practice and practice.. till your swing become 2nd nature.. happens only to the other 1%... Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

Just like in the Matrix "There is no spoon"

Tell yourself "There is no ball"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 am

Remove "Balls" from your swing thoughts.
Just focus on completing the swing.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:57 am

Then try thinking the golf ball as the 'other' ball lor... Preferably not your own.. What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 pm

This happen because most of the amateur or people that don't practice everyday are more focusing on the ball that the target . look more at the target than the actual ball. If you spend too much time looking at the ball , you will have to much though good one and bad one that will affect the way you will hit the ball. i only look at the ball twice : before pre-shot to analyze the shot i want to hit and just before hitting the ball . that's all

Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm

play green colour balls? (i have a few from Noodle ice so maybe can try next time i play)

all i know is when i tee up a pink ball (also the Noodle Ice balls), its 100% going haywire.
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow, alot of good method out ther.
keep them coming bro . . . . How to overcome Ball Phobia 50017

very benifitual for amateur like myself

TIA
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
This happen because most of the amateur or people that don't practice everyday are more focusing on the ball that the target . look more at the target than the actual ball. If you spend too much time looking at the ball , you will have to much though good one and bad one that will affect the way you will hit the ball. i only look at the ball twice : before pre-shot to analyze the shot i want to hit and just before hitting the ball . that's all

Cyp!
Interesting perspective and good advice! Yet many of the "pros" will advise us to "look at the ball! look at the ball..." before we actually hit the ball??
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm

I mean look at the target , and not stare for 30 second at the ball . it make you think too much and just before you hit you look at the ball for 1second . it was i do and working very well. my mental coach and swing coach work it that out to make me not think about bad though but only the target and where i want to hit the ball ... I think us amateur think too much about technique and not enough about result .....
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm

concentrate at your body and swing feeling and always make sure you relax your body before the swing and on the swing. It's not a hit, it's a swing. Trust your club, if distance is not enough then get longer club.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
I mean look at the target , and not stare for 30 second at the ball . it make you think too much and just before you hit you look at the ball for 1second . it was i do and working very well. my mental coach and swing coach work it that out to make me not think about bad though but only the target and where i want to hit the ball ... I think us amateur think too much about technique and not enough about result .....

That's very true... once you think too much, somehow it will be a bad shot. Anyway, the objective is to send the ball to where you are aiming with what you have. No use thinking so much at that point. just swing and hope...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

I have encountered this problem when I started to learn golf swing.
Without ball, swee swee sweep the mat. Once ball is there, 50% chances I will top the ball.
After uncountable practice on error, I came across this magazine call "Golf Digest", one of the drill in it tell me not to look at top of the ball but instead look at the side of the ball where your club is hitting. Aim there and swing towards it. It cured my topping problem.

Nowadays, I duff the ball but I confirm I am not looking at the bottom of the ball..... Razz
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm

So that is why, for me, I dont do practice swing no more.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm

In my opinion you get scared or fobia of hitting the ball is because you don't have an actual pre-shot routine . Amateur under estimate the importance of it . it even more crutial than the actuual swing. if you do the 3 step pre shot routine you wont even fear the ball ...

1 step - analysing and imagine the shot
2- rehearsing the feel and look at the target
3- executing and commiting to the shot 100%
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm

I think the practice swing might sometimes become the thing that causes us to mess up the shot. Even though it feels right, something might have gone wrong in the practice swing but it isn't reflected simply because there isn't a ball there. So nowadays instead of practice swings I do mini drills depending what tends to go wrong more often during that particular period/round (eg getting into impact position and releasing a few times). Works better for me and I hope this might help you too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to overcome Ball Phobia   How to overcome Ball Phobia I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to overcome Ball Phobia
Page 1 of 1