Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bunker shots and practice areas

Go down 
+10
JL
Right_sided_coach
who8168
ironfist
sunny
Duval_S
lemmein
daveaha
jtek
Technospaz
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Bunker shots and practice areas Empty
PostSubject: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Folks, can anyone share some tips with bunker shots? I know that they require a lot of confidence and accuracy. I've been able to pull off some decent bunker shots but I'd appreciate some help with bunkers where the sand is hard (which is not uncommon after the rain).

Also, does anyone know whether there are any places where I can practice bunker shots? I wish I had a club to play at in Singapore.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I think OCC's bunker training area on the left side is open to all...
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm

jtek wrote:
I think OCC's bunker training area on the left side is open to all...

No, it's only for the GE academy only....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Oic, luckily i'm a student... ha ha ha...
Back to top Go down
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:04 pm

u wanna aim to contact the sand about 2"-4" behind the ball, keep club face open so body won't be square to target but club face should be. the SW & LW should have a "bump" on it's leading edge that causes the club to swish the surface rather than dig into the sand, this is why u want the contact further back, it is NOT to DIG into the sand, it skims the surface.

Also, you want a slightly wristier, steeper swing, and always overestimate the distance, u may feel it needs a delicate touch but u always need a solid amount of speed in the club head to get the ball out nicely so don't hold back on speed or your follow-through.

this is just what i've learnt so far. Obviously different parts of the bunker (upslope, downslope, plugged) would need different methods but this is the basic one for a decent lie to blast the ball out (as oposed to trying to pick it off the surface).
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm also having problem with bunker, especially 40 m to 60 m away to the green. Should I use 58deg wedge with minimum sand contact (provided the ball is lying on the sand surface, not deep inside) or should I use 8i and use the standard sand shot ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:17 pm

hi bro techPZ, ..here is someting you can ponder. Go to range..used SW but hit 1/2inch (purposely) behind the ball...to simulate the bunker shot. some ranges i think like keppel have range mats with 2 surface..one with normal and another with 1/2 'rough' type. At least this is what I had done...and what you see on the course is the output of this.

disclaimer: some say my bunker shot travel like tuas to bedok...but some also say like tuas to tanah merah...sighhhh
Back to top Go down
lemmein
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:18 pm

upto around 100m u can probably blast a good bunker shot with a PW, depending on the length of hitter u r, but using an 8i or anything longer is always a little risky depending on the depth/lip of the bunker. also with a longer club, ther is the risk of digging a lot of sand up if you let your upper body drop on the downswing and on the flipside you could hit a big slice or hook depending on lie and your bunker swing. and bla bla lol i'l stop now, i'm not exactly qualified to give any instruction, just consider it, try it, don't study it or quote it lol peace...
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Go nsrcc changi. Buy some balls and hit off the sand at the far end. You can practice 10m bunker shots to full swing 3w 200 plus.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Great feedback, folks. You guys are amazing.

Sunny - so, when are we arranging a group range session at NSRCC? Smile
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:25 pm

good tips guys.. you'll have to keep your lower body quiet too right? no excessive weight shifts?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 pm

ironfist wrote:
good tips guys.. you'll have to keep your lower body quiet too right? no excessive weight shifts?

I was told that we need to keep the weight steady (or even place the weight) on the right leg. That's to anchor the body and keep it steady.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Great feedback, folks. You guys are amazing.

Sunny - so, when are we arranging a group range session at NSRCC? Smile

I try not to go as it is very expensive for non-members. Each time activate the card needs a few dollars plus parking also cost money. Unless our nsrcc friends want to organise one.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Right. I guess I just need to do what DS suggested and when I'm back in KL, practice in my home club.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I was told that we need to keep the weight steady (or even place the weight) on the right leg. That's to anchor the body and keep it steady.

Errr... i thought the weight should be maintained on the left leg, from the setup to finish. At least that works for me. Right now i am trying to perfect soft fluffy sand & medium distance bunker shots of 30 to 50 m.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Oops, my bad. I meant left leg. Sorry - must've been dreaming.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:06 pm

who8168 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Errr... i thought the weight should be maintained on the left leg, from the setup to finish. At least that works for me. Right now i am trying to perfect soft fluffy sand & medium distance bunker shots of 30 to 50 m.

Correct. Keep most of your weight on your left side, not right.

There is a thread on bunker technique I posted a while back. See the link

http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/bunker-shots-common-faults-t365.htm
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
who8168 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Correct. Keep most of your weight on your left side, not right.

There is a thread on bunker technique I posted a while back. See the link

http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/bunker-shots-common-faults-t365.htm

Thanks for the reminder. Need to go back to the basics and work on this Smile
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 pm

HI Paul,

Thank you. Great advice. Many of us also would like to know if you have any advice for medium distance bunker shots, e.g. 30 to 50 m? Should we use 9i or PW with normal sand blast technique or use 56* or 60* with pitching technique?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
JL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JL

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 pm

hmm.... My coach is a great bunker player.
Weight is on the left and keep it on the left as much as posible..
but till try to keep your normal body angles..
then weight still on the left on the back or fforward swing.
Long bunker shot just swing it shallower on the down swing..
emmm.. Hard sand hit soft, soft sand hit hard.. haha..
Thats all i know
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks, JL. Great feedback!
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 am

who8168 wrote:
HI Paul,

Thank you. Great advice. Many of us also would like to know if you have any advice for medium distance bunker shots, e.g. 30 to 50 m? Should we use 9i or PW with normal sand blast technique or use 56* or 60* with pitching technique?

Thanks in advance.

The dreaded 30 - 50 m bunker shot. Rated by many as the toughest shot in golf. So many things can go wrong if not struck perfectly.
There are a few ways to play this shot depending on the lie and the height of the bunker lip. For me I sometimes even chip the ball out, making contact with ball first, but only if the lip is not too high and I have a lot of green to work with.
A blast shot with 56 better if the lip is high. Pin position also should be considered. If you have a lot of green to work with, a 8, 9 iron can be used to get the ball rolling up to the flag. This will require a shorter swing meaning less chance of a mistake.
My best advise is to use course management to avoid these shots at all cost. It can ruin a good score.
I once lost a tournament when I hit too much ball and it flew OOB behind the green. I then had to drop another ball back in the same bunker which buried and it led to a triple bogey. Lost by a shot. Aaarrrggh
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:13 am

Paul, I hate that shot too.

Tried the 8/9 iron slice aka Greg Norman tip - Din work for me.

Tried the 54deg wedge shot - Nope, din either.

Went with the std sand club for me - LW. I just concentrated on standing slightly more square to the target and accelerating my body thru the shot more than a std distance bunker shot. Have more success with it than the 1st 2 shots. If the shot is around 50-60m, I will stand square and try and catch it clean.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 am

I would try and catch it clean too. But this one definitely scares me to bits. However, it's not as scary as those greenside bunkers Sad One bad shot... and the ball can be at the next tee box.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:32 am

Techno, I know you most probalby well versed with the rules just like to remind you, when doing practice swing, do remember that CLUB HEAD cannot touch the sand. dont get penalty stroke.

For bunkers near / next to green, I use SW, normal stance and club shaft is parrallel to my body on the back swing(this one coach teach one) with an Open club face. I picture an imaginary ball about 1-1.5 ball lengths behind the ball and AWAY I GO. However. still have problems trying to get it over a 5ft lip..haiz....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shots and practice areas   Bunker shots and practice areas I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bunker shots and practice areas
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next