Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8.5 drivers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:11 pm

My clubs from by Ebay frenzy finally arrived, in it there are two 8.5 loft (dont ask me why i bid for two 8.5, when i only wanted try try one)

one is a Sumo 5900 8.5 and the other a 9015D 8.5 loft.

Problem is the cheaper club is much better for me. read somewhere that 5900 8.5 is actually closer to a 9.5, plus the stock shaft is rather weaker. The club also have a close which will result in a 'higher' loft at impact when squared. So the ball flight for me is just nice. Just need to get accustom to the shallower face (need to buy lower rubber tee)

Unfortunately the 9015D (i distinctively remember bidding for all 9.5 loft Crying or Very sad ) is a different story. I knew the face is open so the loft will be much lower. Also this driver is rather true to loft, plus the stiffer shaft hitting a lot of fades/slices. But when i hit it good (1 in 10 tries), its rather long. Now thinking whether to reshaft or cut my loses and get a proper 9.5 or 10.5 driver.

Funny thing is i got no problem with the ball flight with both 8.5. In fact many of the balls still fly too high (not spinning up, but boring flight upwards!!!!)
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 7:26 pm

tronos wrote:
The club also have a close which will result in a 'higher' loft at impact when squared. So the ball flight for me is just nice. Just need to get accustom to the shallower face (need to buy lower rubber tee)

Unfortunately the 9015D (i distinctively remember bidding for all 9.5 loft Crying or Very sad ) is a different story. I knew the face is open so the loft will be much lower. Also this driver is rather true to loft, plus the stiffer shaft hitting a lot of fades/slices.
Interesting...what kind of spin numbers are you getting off the drivers?

Btw, how does a closed face result in higher loft at impact and an open face make the loft lower? I would imagine that dynamic loft would be more of a function of the angle of attack.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 pm

so u bid for 2x 9.5 driver but end up with 8.5 driver instead.......... returning will probably not work cos of shipping, thus LL play with them

guess thats the problem sometimes with ebay
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Guys!

I've got a question, since we are on the topic of 8.5 degree (low loft) drivers.

Is it possible to change the shaft so that it generates more spin that results in a higher launch angle? Does this process require some special device to calibrate the shaft or "match-make" the shaft and head? As far as I understand, I am playing a loft too low for me (10 degrees) but because the shaft creates a lot of spin, my balls still go high and long.

I think this is a question for our resident clubfitter... hee hee...

Equipment experts, gurus, long driver hitters, please help out too.

MC - The legendary long hitter. You didn't answer my thread on working out the last time. Hope you can answer this time. MP62 rocks!

Thanks. I am really curious about this.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Rocky, there are so-called low spin shafts like the Diamana white-boards, etc, and conversely "higher-spin" shafts.
I personally feel that the angle of attack affects the spin quite a bit. If you are from the "hit down and out" school of thought even for drivers, there might be added spin.
Think no need to get too concerned with the loft numbers printed on the driver, since depending on your swing you might be changing the dynamic loft..

Hahaha.. I don't know what I'm talking about lah.. just shooting off.. . Very Happy

Why don't you bring your equipment down and discuss it with a good clubfitter. I heard that torque golf at laguna is quite good too, and has a lot of exotic shaft options.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Squirrel:

Actually I have discussed this before with our resident clubfitter! He was the one that told me about the high spin shaft thing.

I like my current driver, despite the lower loft. I'm not into exotic shafts. I want something that I can control. I am now afraid that when I need to change driver, I don't know the specs to change to....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

8.5 drivers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8.5 drivers   8.5 drivers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8.5 drivers
Page 1 of 1