Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shot going straight right

Go down 
+6
r510tp
Lee36328
duffader
pushslice
Ssquirrel
justinkohzx
10 posters
AuthorMessage
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shot going straight right Empty
PostSubject: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi all,

Been playing/practicing for the past 6 months with 2-3 times on course. So far I've been pleased with my own progress. However recently I have seen something odd with my swing and with like to ask the Pros/experts here.

Recently my ball seems to be going to my right in a straight path motion (no slice). Distance wise it is the same as when i make solid contact. I believe this is due to a open club face upon impact and this is probably due to me making a quicker/faster lower body turn. Somehow my hands don't seem to be able to keep up. When I slow down my lower body turn, my shots go straighter but I tend to lose distance.

Any swing thoughts/drills that can help me with my hands keeping up. I had a friend look at my impact and he commented that with the faster body turn, my hands did not seem to have "turned over" correctly on impact.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm not pro or expert.
Your shot sounds like a push; I think you should try standing a bit farther from the ball.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm

PUSH shots. Coming to the ball from the inside path with square clubface with the path. Check out the ball flight laws thread by Right Sided Coach.

before making any changes to swing (based on advices you will receive here), assuming the ball is in the middle of your stance. Try moving the ball forward closer to your left heel by about one ball. Focus your eyes on the back of the ball.

See if a slightly forward ball position will give more time for your club head to square up. If you start duffing the ball wih fwd ball position though, then maybe a swing fix from a pro or a good golfer with keen eye is needed.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:40 pm

wah didnt see the GM has replied...so there you go Very Happy
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:42 pm

check alignment first..... Smile
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm

justinkohzx wrote:
Hi all,

Been playing/practicing for the past 6 months with 2-3 times on course. So far I've been pleased with my own progress. However recently I have seen something odd with my swing and with like to ask the Pros/experts here.

Recently my ball seems to be going to my right in a straight path motion (no slice). Distance wise it is the same as when i make solid contact. I believe this is due to a open club face upon impact and this is probably due to me making a quicker/faster lower body turn. Somehow my hands don't seem to be able to keep up. When I slow down my lower body turn, my shots go straighter but I tend to lose distance.

Any swing thoughts/drills that can help me with my hands keeping up. I had a friend look at my impact and he commented that with the faster body turn, my hands did not seem to have "turned over" correctly on impact.

Thanks in advance!

Justin,

This is a well-written question. You have diagnosed your own swing issue which is causing the push (ball goes to the right of the target in a straight line.)

It's an easy mistake to make, especially since a turn driven by the lower body generates so much power, and you are possibly shifting/sliding to the left side too. And you don't want to lose that power.

But if you go down that path, you will have difficulty timing the hands. You can if you want to, by either adopting a stronger grip, or rotating your hands over more aggressively or a combination of both. Bear in mind these are short term fixes. Timing is always tricky.

A better approach (but harder than the quick fix above, naturally), from the top , keep your hands connected to the lower body in the downswing sequence. Don't allow them to be disconnected as you are doing now.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. That was really quick and guess everyone is on a lunch break.

Ssquirrel wrote:
I'm not pro or expert.
Your shot sounds like a push; I think you should try standing a bit farther from the ball.

Can I ask do you mean standing further as in further away from my stance? Or as in ball position being a bit more in front?

Pushslice and duffader, checked stance with pictures and no visible change in stance since last time. Hence only difference seems to be that lower body is moving quicker given that my coach saw my swing being too much intiated by the hands instead of my lower body.

Lee can I kindly ask what do you mean by keeping connected to the lower body? As in the idea is to weight shift, turn shoulders and swing through and release the hands at the same time?

Thank you all you pros out there. Coach at Bishan currently away and hence was getting frustrated over the last week or so. Will post the reason if spotted by coach. Thanks again. If not anyone at Marina Bay Golf Range willing to take a look? Smile
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I think your case is a very "good" problem. The ball going straight right usually indicates an in-to-out swingpath, which is ideal.

I share the same view with pushslice. Move the ball closer to the target and keep everything else the same. Your ball should be straighter with no loss of distance.

If you duff when the ball is moved forward, it shows you are holding your weight on your right leg and not transferring it enough to the left.

pushslice wrote:

Try moving the ball forward closer to your left heel by about one ball. Focus your eyes on the back of the ball.

See if a slightly forward ball position will give more time for your club head to square up. If you start duffing the ball wih fwd ball position though, then maybe a swing fix from a pro or a good golfer with keen eye is needed.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:00 pm

not sure if this is helpful...but I had learnt the importannce of embracing....

When I embrace the fact that it going right, I aim more left.....
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi mate

Just to add in here.we all well and truly know that path and clubface determines ball flight. So by reading your post, it's clear that your path is slightly in to out and when you push it right, your clubface is square relative to it's path. Whether you might be sliding or spinning out as I've not seen you swing in person. Both could be a possibility. There are a few things I'd like to mention that would help. Understand that the more inside out your swing path is, the more you would need to release the club upon impact. That requires a whole lot timing. That's probably why you feel you need to slow things down to hit it straight. Therefore I'd advice you to fix your path. Not how much you release.You could try hitting 3 quarter or even half shots with this drill. Place a golf ball about 8-10 inches behind the ball you intend to hit a clubface inside right of the ball( place the ball directly behind the ball you intend to hit. After doing so, put it a clubface right towards you). Hit balls to avoid the ball on the downswing. I hope that helps mate. There are several reasons why one might push mate. You could pick and choose what wel might say here but it's always the best to seek help from a certified teaching professional.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

jhan18 wrote:
Hi mate

Just to add in here.we all well and truly know that path and clubface determines ball flight. So by reading your post, it's clear that your path is slightly in to out and when you push it right, your clubface is square relative to it's path. Whether you might be sliding or spinning out as I've not seen you swing in person. Both could be a possibility. There are a few things I'd like to mention that would help. Understand that the more inside out your swing path is, the more you would need to release the club upon impact. That requires a whole lot timing. That's probably why you feel you need to slow things down to hit it straight. Therefore I'd advice you to fix your path. Not how much you release.You could try hitting 3 quarter or even half shots with this drill. Place a golf ball about 8-10 inches behind the ball you intend to hit a clubface inside right of the ball( place the ball directly behind the ball you intend to hit. After doing so, put it a clubface right towards you). Hit balls to avoid the ball on the downswing. I hope that helps mate. There are several reasons why one might push mate. You could pick and choose what wel might say here but it's always the best to seek help from a certified teaching professional.

That is very well said.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm

justinkohzx wrote:
Hi all, Thanks for the replies. That was really quick and guess everyone is on a lunch break.

Lee can I kindly ask what do you mean by keeping connected to the lower body? As in the idea is to weight shift, turn shoulders and swing through and release the hands at the same time?

Since you consciously move the lower body first, and you say your hands fail to catch up. that indicates that your lower body will outrace your hands in the downswing. That's what I meant.

If you strive to feel as though your hands are directly connected to your lower body (esp your hips, your left hip in particular), when you fire your hips, you will fire your hands too.

This is a good problem to have.

Most people, when they struggle, it's outside in, caused by hands that fire first, outracing the lower body, opposite situation to you have.

Your coach did a good job, and you have an inside out path. But too much of a good thing, and you being to push your shots.

Obviously, the key is to find the middle ground from the two above that works for you.

Here's a trick that works for some. Purposely try to hit a fade (or even a slice). Notice how you've altered your swing sequence and possibly even your setup. Now, find a middle ground between the two.

Finally, as the pro above said, the best is to have a pro coach look at it, because there may be other factors you have missed or haven't mentioned, some of our comments may be sending you down a dead end.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 pm

As mention above ... Blocked shots are generally a better player problem ... another guy "we may have heard of" has been plagued by blocked shots for almost forever ...

2 minute mark in the vid is key ...

TW has the "feeling" that his arms are winning the race ... and this is only because he has incredibly fast hips, and they cant lose!!!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Rip out your right body side. Did you release your right hand to the max? Another on is loosened the left hand. I tend to shoot right when I tighten my left hand grip and didn't fully release my right hand.

There is a session tonight at 8 PM in mbgc. Maybe you should join the gang and hopefully fix your issue.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi all,

Dmateo, paiseh still at work. But was thinking about it whole day. Haha so posted during work. Hope to join you guys at MBGC sometime soon.

Tourswing, think I won't mind having TW problems...Razz But won't want to be chased by gf/wife with golf clubs Razz

Lee thanks for the advice. Will try that thought while at the range.

Justin thanks for the advice and I noticed you recently started coaching. All the best. Now if you weren't that far away, would not mind having a coach the same name as me. But younger sure damn fit one..... Maybe we can work out lessons over the weekends?

Cheers all!
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 am

I do work on the weekends buddy. Right now my weekend slots are free as I've not been allocated any junior classes yet. Feel free to drop me a text or PM.
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi all,

Just back from range and managed to get current coach to take a look at the swing. End up is my wrists are not turning over and i am keeping them locked upon impact. Hence club face open resulting in push. Somehow swing thought/idea keeps making me open club face and especially in driver it is a slice.

Justin dropped another email to ya take a look.

Cheers again to all. Hope to be able to make a GR event soon.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 pm

In that case, for a push (and not a slice) to happen ... youre swinging inside out with a clubface that is square to the club path (and open to the target line) ...

Which means that when your wrist does turnover, you will hit draws, and not straight shots ... Is that what you are seeing??
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:52 pm

And a swing thought for you ... Whenever my clubface fails to close through impact , its usually because my grip is to hard ... And the moment i loosen the tension in my grip ... Magic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shot going straight right   Shot going straight right I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shot going straight right
Page 1 of 1