Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5 courses in 1 week - September

Go down 
+6
mloy
kg7068
pushslice
mizzy
Duval_S
Schulo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

5 courses in 1 week - September Empty
PostSubject: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 am

My nephew from Australia is coming over for a week to stay with me and my wife.
He is 13 years old and a bloody good player. Approaching single handicap fast! (played a round of 74 last Saturday).
Hcp 10.3 at the moment, so when he is here chances are high that he will be 9 something.

Obviously the goal of his holiday is to play lots of golf with his uncle! I am taking leave for the full week and now I am putting together a plan for the week. We want to play 5 courses (from Monday to Friday). Budget is quite tight, but he has been saving for almost a year to come to Singapore and play!

Ok, here is the plan:
- Monday - Palm Villas JB
- Tuesday - To be decided
- Wednesday - MBGC SG
- Thursday - Batam course
- Friday - Horizon Hills JB

Couple of questions / remarks:

1) Is the current plan good enough or should I change some courses?
2) Please help me to fill in the blanks!
3) MBGC is mandatory. I have never played there before, so want to do that!

All help / feedback is welcome.
I have to make his holiday the best one he has ever had!

Last edited by Schulo on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:45 am

I seriously sincerely recommend playing Royal Johor CC (now known as Johor CC) and if you already budget for a game in Indo...then Ria Bintan is a must -go...not only for the hype..but really...its good
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

Schulo,

How about arranging the JB courses and Batam courses separately? Batam is more troublesome to get to. and If you stay over, you can play another 1 or 2 rounds.
Ria bintan is good and there is a new course that is good i hear can't remember the name.

JB courses will be good if you stay over.. or not.. HH is good.. condition lately i don't know..

YOu might want to keep MBGC for last as the finisher has the course is in Singapore and there is no rush.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 10:58 am

Raffles Palm or Warren GC or Kranji NSRCC for your Tuesday. Guest weekday rate is about $145, I think.

On Thursday, go to Bintan instead of to Batam.

but if you must go to Batam, Batam Hills or Southlinks.
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am

@Duval never played the Royal Johor CC, will definitely try it soon, but can't book through Rohaha, so that is a small speedbump. Ria Bintan is a good option, but my last round there was crap... So I have to get my mindset right first.

@mizzy I want to do 1 course on either Batam or Bintan, don't want to stay overnight, becasue of cost. Good tip on MBGC for the last day!

@pushslice thanks, but SG courses are so bloody expensive! At leats compared to Johor... Will have to check if there is sufficient budget. I don't mind paying for my nephew, but since he considers himself to be "grown up" he wants to pay for everything himself now!
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am

Schulo wrote:
My nephew from Australia is coming over for a week to stay with me and my wife.
He is 13 years old and a bloody good player. Approaching single handicap fast! (played a round of 74 last Saturday).
Hcp 10.3 at the moment, so when he is here chances are high that he will be 9 something.

Obviously the goal of his holiday is to play lots of golf with his uncle! I am taking leave for the full week and now I am putting together a plan for the week. We want to play 5 courses (from Monday to Friday). Budget is quite tight, but he has been saving for almost a year to come to Singapore and play!

Ok, here is the plan:
- Monday - Palm Villas JB
- Tuesday - To be decided
- Wednesday - MBGC SG
- Thursday - Batam course
- Friday - Horizon Hills JB

Couple of questions / remarks:

1) Is the current plan good enough or should I change some courses?
2) Please help me to fill in the blanks!
3) MBGC is mandatory. I have never played there before, so want to do that!

All help / feedback is welcome.
I have to make his holiday the best one he has ever had!

Monday when u arrive at Palm Villa, approach the staff that u want to purchase "Golf Booklet". it cost rm200 and contains many green fee vouchers for golfing at about 40 courses (2 voucher per course) in JB and Batam. Each time when u visit one of the participating courses either in JB or Batam, just tear the respective voucher and just pay buggy + insurance (abt rm50), u can play 18 holes. The booklet is valid for a year (1 Jan -31 Dec) regardless when u purchase it. THIS IS ONE WAY TO SAVE MONEY.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 am

Or you could plan Monday & Tuesday play courses in Johor Bahru. Stay 1 night.

Monday - Johor Golf & Country Club (walking course with caddie)
Tuesday - Horizon Hills
Wednesday - MBGC
Thursday - Ria Bintan (like Duval_S said...its a beautiful course)
Friday - Batam (Batam Hills or Palm Springs)

I am sure your nephew & yourself will have a fun 5 days of golfing. Tiring it may be but hey I would love to play 5 days of holiday golf too. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 am

@kg wow I never heard of the booklet. Sounds like a great deal!

@mloy we probably will go for Ria Bintan only (and I will pray for a proper score). We will also play Palm Villas, because I know the course well and want to try to beat my nephew at least once... I am really excited to play 5 days in a row! Hope to lose some weight during that week as well! Need to slim down 3 kg in order to fall below 80kg again and that will make my wife very happy!
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm

OK, taking in all info now...

New situation:
Monday - Johor Golf & Country Club
Tuesday - Horizon Hills
Wednesday - Ria Bintan
Thursday - Palm Villas
Friday - MBGC

Cost per person (as far as I can see)
Johor Golf CC - +/- 30 SGD (Golfgreedy)
Horizon Hills - 164 MYR (Oscar)
Ria Bintan - 192 SGD + 10 USD (Asiatravel)
Palm Villas - 78 MYR (Oscar)
MBGC - 115 SGD (Direct)

Total would be: +/- 450 SGD (probably on the high side for my nephew)
So, thinking of getting rid of Ria Bintan (ferry cost + visa 10 USD...)
Any thoughts on other savings besides the booklet?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Bro Schulo......I am like so envy you !!!!!

ENJOY !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Schulo, playing 5 times in a row is no joke. Body will ache and tire so much.

Must have massages at night to loosen up your tired muscles. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 pm

if going to Bintan, it would be a waste to just play RIA.

Maybe you wanna consider staying a night in Bintan and play RIA Bintan and Bintan Lagoon.

For JB course, yes Horizon Hill and RJCC is recommend. I think RJCC is a walking course.

enjoy your 5 day golf tour .... envy envy !!
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:25 pm

pushslice wrote:
Must have massages at night to loosen up your tired muscles. Very Happy

My massage is already booked Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Schulo wrote:
OK, taking in all info now...

New situation:
Monday - Johor Golf & Country Club
Tuesday - Horizon Hills
Wednesday - Ria Bintan
Thursday - Palm Villas
Friday - MBGC

Cost per person (as far as I can see)
Johor Golf CC - +/- 30 SGD (Golfgreedy)
Horizon Hills - 164 MYR (Oscar)
Ria Bintan - 192 SGD + 10 USD (Asiatravel)
Palm Villas - 78 MYR (Oscar)
MBGC - 115 SGD (Direct)

Total would be: +/- 450 SGD (probably on the high side for my nephew)
So, thinking of getting rid of Ria Bintan (ferry cost + visa 10 USD...)
Any thoughts on other savings besides the booklet?

Travel to Malacca, u can play 36 holes at Orna (rm100 per game), 36 holes at A'Farmosa (rm120 per game). U can contact A'Farmosa for lodging. 2 days u r done with 4 rounds. Wednesday return Spore, Thurs play MBGC and Friday try the commando course at SCC (about $70).
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 am

OK, just had a conversation with my sister! Budget cut as well as increased parenting.

A) 450 SDG is too much, I have to reduce the cost, my nephew can cope with 300+ total
B) My wife will be the 'motherfigure' during the week, so we have to return to Singapore every night...

The updated plan is now:

Monday - Johor Golf & Country Club - +/- 30 SGD (Golfgreedy)
Tuesday - Horizon Hills - 164 MYR (Oscar)
Wednesday - Where to go and what to do???
Thursday - Palm Villas - 78 MYR (Oscar)
Friday - MBGC - 115 SGD (Direct)

So, I would appreciate some help on the course for Wednesday. Maximum cost can be 50 SGD per person.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 am

OK....Bro...don fall off the chair...when you read the following :

I will like to introduce to your Permas Golf club...a hidden gem in JB located not more than 20mins fm the JB city.....its a 9hole golf course..but fm the blue..its long enough to give most others a good fight

If not mistaken, its RM20 per nine on weekdays.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 am

How about Palm Resort?

http://www.palmresort.com/mondays-to-fridays-golf-promotion-promo-76-72.aspx

RM120 per person.
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

Duval_S wrote:

I will like to introduce to your Permas Golf club...a hidden gem in JB located not more than 20mins fm the JB city.....its a 9hole golf course..but fm the blue..its long enough to give most others a good fight

I just fell off my chair! RM 20 is really really cheap!!! WOW!
Will check it out next week or so for a round.
Great tip Duval! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 pm

mizzy wrote:
How about Palm Resort?
RM120 per person.

Heard that the condition of Palm Resort is not great at the moment... Greens in bad shape and fairways with lots of unrepaired divots, bad cut grass etc. Anyone can confirm the conditions of Palm Resort?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Schulo wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Great tip Duval! Thanks.

You want to fall off the building? I got one more for you.... RM20.00 for as many holes that you can play!!!

Nam Heng Country Club in Sungai Tiram. It is an estate course about 1.5 hours from the causeway.
9 Hole walking course with REALLY natural scenary. Fairways are cowgrass and quite long, small greens that require accuracy to land on it.

If you are up for 72 holes, and on a tight budget, this is the place to go! Bring your own trolley though. If the small kids/caddies are not around, you may have to pull your own bag / carry your own bag.

Food is cheap too!

If you want another good course, I believe Rohana can fix you up with Tanjong Puteri also. Should be less than RM100.00 for B or C course.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Schulo wrote:
mizzy wrote:
How about Palm Resort?
RM120 per person.

Heard that the condition of Palm Resort is not great at the moment... Greens in bad shape and fairways with lots of unrepaired divots, bad cut grass etc. Anyone can confirm the conditions of Palm Resort?

Yes, I believe that it is still bad. Give it another month and I can ask my friends who are members there to report back on the conditions.
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

@Denmeister I played at Nam Heng Country Club before. Did not really enjoy it... I don't mind carrying my own bag, but after 18 holes I am too tired to go for another 9 or so.
Not bad a bad tip, but I don't think I will go for that one.

Trying to find more info on permas jaya now, but can't find much. Would like to see some photos and stuff...
[update] found some photos

Last edited by Schulo on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Schulo wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Great tip Duval! Thanks.

You want to fall off the building? I got one more for you.... RM20.00 for as many holes that you can play!!!

Nam Heng Country Club in Sungai Tiram. It is an estate course about 1.5 hours from the causeway.
9 Hole walking course with REALLY natural scenary. Fairways are cowgrass and quite long, small greens that require accuracy to land on it.

If you are up for 72 holes, and on a tight budget, this is the place to go! Bring your own trolley though. If the small kids/caddies are not around, you may have to pull your own bag / carry your own bag.

Food is cheap too!

If you want another good course, I believe Rohana can fix you up with Tanjong Puteri also. Should be less than RM100.00 for B or C course.

Bro,

Nam Heng CC sounds like a really worthwhile course to try.. from sunrise to sunset!
1.5 hours drive? any directions? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 pm

mizzy wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
Schulo wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Great tip Duval! Thanks.

Food is cheap too!

Bro,

Nam Heng CC sounds like a really worthwhile course to try.. from sunrise to sunset!
1.5 hours drive? any directions? Thanks!

Hi Mizzy,

This course is really off the beaten track.

1) Go towards the direction of Johor Jaya (where Daiman 18 is)
2) You are to go past Johor Jaya towards Ulu Tiram, which is about 10min away from the Johor Jaya turnoff.
3) You will arrive at Ulu Tiram once you see "Tiram Mart" on your left. McDonalds is also there. Use that as a place mark.
4) At the traffic light under the bridge, turn right.
5) Now this is where the fun begins.....
6) You are to travel about 8 to 10km into Sungai Tiram on kampung roads.
7) To be continued..... Hahaha I have to ask my friends about the place mark for the turning before I can report back...

Stay tuned.

For those who have played there, if you would like to contribute to the directions, please feel free to do so.

Wild boars and other kinds of wild life awaits you in Nam Heng!
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 pm

@Den!

Wah... must go when you go.. or i will get lost!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 courses in 1 week - September   5 courses in 1 week - September I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 courses in 1 week - September
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next