Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Does Your Glove Wear Out?

Go down 
+5
eiji
Birdman
Winston
Turbo
Loudmouth
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

How Does Your Glove Wear Out? Empty
PostSubject: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I have realized that my glove always wear out on the same spot first before any other place show any sign of wear. It always wear out at the central of the thumb and it will be torn in to a hole before any other parts wear out.

Is it correct? something to do with wrong gripping?

Find it wasteful to change glove because of the hole in the thumb area. Down grade it to "range" glove.

Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Strange, bcos there shouldn't be any pressure on the thumb area.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:52 pm

For me, it is normally at the base of the little finger....and it usally takes about 6 months for it to start to wear out..
Back to top Go down
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

@ Turbo - it puzzled me as well. though i have hear from a golf instructor from Mandai that to apply slight pressure on the left thumb during down swing, but could never understand how it could be done without distorting the downswing. Search the net, some say because grip with palm but that is to come with wear off at palm area as well, which i don't have and i quite sure (may be a wrong sure) that I grip with the fingers instead.

i didn't keep track how long or how many games before the hole appears, may be should keep a log on this. Glove wear off progress chart. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

winston, using leather glove? i use FJ TropicCool, which is fabric like so is not as long lasting as leather, but i like it's fell.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Loudmouth, for your left hand, do you grip with a long left thumb or short left thumb?

Long means you the whole length of your left thumb (from tip to where it joins the palm) lies extended down the length of the grip.

Short means you pull your left thumb in, shortening it such that only the thumbprint area contacts the grip. This in effect squeezes your thumb against the grip, the applied pressure then accounts for the wear you describe.
Back to top Go down
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Birdman, I'm not sure as I just place my thumb naturally, with your description it seems that only thumb print area is in contact with the grip.

So is the long left thumb or short left thumb the correct way? or is based on preference of comfort?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Yup, only the a small area of your thumb is in contact with the grip. The short thumb theory seems to be the more preferred method taught.

It seems to add distance and accuracy as well as tightens up a loose grip at the top of the backswing.

On the other hand, there are some who also seem to do just as well with a long thumb. Perhaps they need the exact opposite of what the short thumb promotes. Too much of a good thing perhaps? I think the long thumb promotes more shaft support at the top of the backswing and an easier wrist hinge.

Don't think there is a right or wrong to this one, just which one works better with your swing and body type.

As a footnote, apparently the Vardon grip promotes more of a long left thumb versus the shorter left thumb of the Overlap grip.

Here's a link to a what Butch Harmon prefers to teach.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html
Back to top Go down
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

I hv overlap grip that explain the short thumb.

thanks for the info Birdman.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 pm

you should try those fit39 gloves, they last really long...i am still on the same one i bought more than half a year ago. i use to change gloves every 2 months, now i have the fit39 exclusively for range and use better ones for game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Tks eiji, where to get fit39?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm

i got mine from MST golf at MBGC, i am sure quite a few places carry them
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Loudmouth
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Loudmouth

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 pm

got that tks.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Loudmouth wrote:
I hv overlap grip that explain the short thumb.

thanks for the info Birdman.

You're welcome. I'm not sure if you applying too much pressure with your thumb or is it shifting during the swing then, it's unusual to see a wear pattern such as yours.

Best to see a coach to check your grip, since it has a profound influence on the golf swing. Or the easy alternative is to get a training grip like the one below.

How Does Your Glove Wear Out? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOJGv41mON4eS3FjXcW9qx7DgdUi_DdACiNOww006vWr-FtrZc
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:45 pm

BM, can you advice me also.

my glove index finger the second knuckle from the tip, there is a hole from the wear of rubbing on my right hand ring finger. i'm using vardon grip.. how?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:52 pm

me trying not to use gloves nowadays...

trying to attain superhero status like the birdman...

can see from his avatar..... his hand got power sai

next time see him, dun shake his hand....

wait kenna fried like KFC....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:25 am

mizzy wrote:
BM, can you advice me also.

my glove index finger the second knuckle from the tip, there is a hole from the wear of rubbing on my right hand ring finger. i'm using vardon grip.. how?

How? Buy new glove lah.

There isn't much written on wear patterns since pros don't use a glove long enough to wear a hole in them. Don't think it's a major issue as long as the wear is not in the base of the palm area, caused by re-gripping the club during the transition from backswing to downswing. As long the last three fingers of the left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand have a secure grip, palms are facing together, and the rest of the fingers are molded together with no gaps, we're pretty much fine.

Heard you playing in the 80s now, so don't see what's the problem leh?

My wear pattern similar to yours but just below the large knuckle joint of the gloved index finger. My right ring finger has slight callus on the far side of the first knuckle from the tip. I'm guessing you have a callus too on the right ring finger, but on the far side of the second knuckle, right? That's the part rubbing against your gloved index finger.

Want to change the wear pattern, then change grip to overlap la.. Or better yet, use baseball grip. ROFL
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 am

BM,

actually i got the same callous on my right ring finger like you.
but my index finger is crooked and the second knuckle from the tip is bent toward the thumb. so i guess that's the reason then..
lol!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 am

mizzy wrote:

but my index finger is crooked and the second knuckle from the tip is bent toward the thumb. so i guess that's the reason then..
lol!

You want me to help straighten it for you? geek
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:40 am

Birdman wrote:
Yup, only the a small area of your thumb is in contact with the grip. The short thumb theory seems to be the more preferred method taught.

It seems to add distance and accuracy as well as tightens up a loose grip at the top of the backswing.

On the other hand, there are some who also seem to do just as well with a long thumb. Perhaps they need the exact opposite of what the short thumb promotes. Too much of a good thing perhaps? I think the long thumb promotes more shaft support at the top of the backswing and an easier wrist hinge.

Don't think there is a right or wrong to this one, just which one works better with your swing and body type.

As a footnote, apparently the Vardon grip promotes more of a long left thumb versus the shorter left thumb of the Overlap grip.

Here's a link to a what Butch Harmon prefers to teach.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/short_thumb_grip.html

A highly useful article, Birdman. Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 am

slinger wrote:

Kena Sai! geek

13.7 handicap talk so much, when you single then talk la. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:44 am

Cheers Lee. As was yours on the other thread indeed enlightening. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

Birdman wrote:
slinger wrote:

Kena Sai! geek

13.7 handicap talk so much, when you single then talk la. ROFL

Umm ... Slinger mentioned his handicap now 11.2 ... just nice to play with Jgoh
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 9:53 am

Derek wrote:

Umm ... Slinger mentioned his handicap now 11.2 ... just nice to play with Jgoh

That should be a good challenge! cheers

Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 am

Loudmouth wrote:
@ Turbo - it puzzled me as well. though i have hear from a golf instructor from Mandai that to apply slight pressure on the left thumb during down swing, but could never understand how it could be done without distorting the downswing. Search the net, some say because grip with palm but that is to come with wear off at palm area as well, which i don't have and i quite sure (may be a wrong sure) that I grip with the fingers instead.

Loudmouth, I have never seen my glove wear out at the thumb area. The pressure points on your left hand should be your last three fingers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Does Your Glove Wear Out?   How Does Your Glove Wear Out? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Does Your Glove Wear Out?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next