Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steps to Learning Golf

Go down 
+4
eiji
redbull
rocky
ironfist
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Steps to Learning Golf Empty
PostSubject: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:30 am

Hey guys, need some advice here. Smile

I've been going to the range for a little more than a year now and i feel my swing has improved a lot since i started. i can strike the golf ball fairly consistently but still lack in distance. however i have not been taking lessons and i do not have any club membership but am now planning to take the plunge and find a coach. i know i know, not having a coach and playing for so long is dangerous considering how i could've ingrained something hazardous in my current swing which would be a nightmare to get rid of later in the future. wah quite embarrassing sia.. haha

so those that have gone through the process of learning all the way through attaining your handicap please help;

1. should i go for beginner lessons?
2. is there such a thing as a coach that would assess my level of skill first and then modify his/her lesson structure accordingly?
3. is there an express path to getting a PC?
4. would it be advisable to take a PC test w/o prior lessons?
5. what are the steps involved from start to handicap? (sorry ah this question very lechey to answer. haha)
6. any place in particular you guys would recommend me to learn?

thanks for all your help guys. i'm a young and willing golfer that is severely and hopelessly addicted to this wonderful game. Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 3:15 am

IF,

No. Reason? See answer to next question

2. is there such a thing as a coach that would assess my level of skill first and then modify his/her lesson structure accordingly?

My recommendation would be to take an individual package with a coach. Usually, when you first meet up with the coach, you can speak to him and see if there is a match. Do not overlook external factors such as time management, language and teaching style. My suggestion in picking a coach is just go with your instincts. If you meet the coach and after speaking to him after 5 minutes, you feel uncomfortable, you are probably right.

If you are need help in your swing, he or she will guide you through the swing rebuilding process (if any is necessary). The good news is, since you mention that you can strike the ball consistently, your hand-eye coordination has already been calibrated. That is a good thing! The next thing to do is to fine tune other muscles so that you get your distances.

A coach will not only help you get your distance in your clubs, but also ingrain a better, repeatable and more efficient swing. These aspects can only be derived from having strong fundamentals. With the right fundamentals, the game of golf will become much more enjoyable for a very long time.

Just take the test.

Just take the test.

About PC
I am a renegade against the idea of PC in Singapore. Let me share with you my views on having a PC.
A PC can be issued by any golfing academy in Singapore. Bishan, Toa Payoh, NSRCC, RCC, whatever. The purpose of a PC is for beginner golfers to play on EXECUTIVE COURSES so that they can try their skills on a real (but shorter) golf course. Currently, there are 3 places that beginners can play - Jurong GC, Mandai Executive and NSRCC (Changi, 9 hole). (Tanglin Golf Course (9 hole) does not require a PC.)

As such, there is no reason for a PC except 1 - Marina Bay. Money Face Golf Club... Sorry. Marina Bay Golf Club is the only club in Singapore that requires all players to have at least a SGA registered PC. What this means is that even if you have a PC, if it is not registered under SGA, you cannot play at MBGC.

But there is a catch. If you do not have a PC and still wish to play at MBGC, you can take a swing test at $10.70. The coach will look at you hit a ball to 50m, 100m and 150m. That's all for $10.70.

5. what are the steps involved from start to handicap? (sorry ah this question very lechey to answer. haha)

Select a home club, submit X number of scorecards, pay $$$$, get handicap. No leh. I don't think it's lechey to answer. Very Happy

My recommendation is Rob Ellison. He coaches at Bishan and more importantly, he coaches ME.
Back to top Go down
redbull
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
redbull

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 am

ironfist wrote:
Hey guys, need some advice here. Smile

I've been going to the range for a little more than a year now and i feel my swing has improved a lot since i started. i can strike the golf ball fairly consistently but still lack in distance. however i have not been taking lessons and i do not have any club membership but am now planning to take the plunge and find a coach. i know i know, not having a coach and playing for so long is dangerous considering how i could've ingrained something hazardous in my current swing which would be a nightmare to get rid of later in the future. wah quite embarrassing sia.. haha

so those that have gone through the process of learning all the way through attaining your handicap please help;

thanks for all your help guys. i'm a young and willing golfer that is severely and hopelessly addicted to this wonderful game. Smile

I want to introduce you to a pro with holistic approach but Mr mUAr_cHEe will yellow card me again What a Face
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm

redbull: use PM loh
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:40 pm

i thought learn TSS enough already?
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 3:39 pm

thanks for the incredibly detailed reply rocky sir! Smile

i agree with you that the whole 'your PC is not good enough for this golf course' idea is severely flawed and unnecessary. i guess the best would be to take the PC and subsequently the HC test at the club that i have chosen? that way at least you'll be sure your PC can be used for that club.

and i will definitely consider learning at the AGA in bishan. i stay in the area so it'll be convenient for me too! Very Happy

and my distances really jialat.. haha i've been telling myself to create more lag, to not flip the club and release early, to compress the ball better, to swing with greater width.. and all i can muster for my 6i is around 120m. haha
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:35 pm

ironfist, u can consider going for the golf clinic with tendy for a simple and quick refresher.

i found his clinic quite good in refreshing your golf stroke.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 pm

I second MT suggestion ... it was a simple and fresh insight into Golf ...
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm

thanks for the recommendation guys but i was thinking more along the lines of attaining a PC and the road to handicap glory.. haha Smile

but i will definitely go when i'm feeling rusty with my swing!
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:45 pm

for PC or handicap, i think the simplest fastest most straightforeward way would be to join MGK, that's assuming your ball striking is already to a certain standard, and you don't need basic lessons..
Back to top Go down
rainman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:53 pm

mervyntan wrote:
for PC or handicap, i think the simplest fastest most straightforeward way would be to join MGK, that's assuming your ball striking is already to a certain standard, and you don't need basic lessons..

sorry newbie qn, wats MGK?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 pm

MGK = My Golf Kaki
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
MGK = My Golf Kaki

Mr Lam, still thinking about the balls just now? don't worry, i can arrange for her to be YGK...

YGK = Your Golf Kaki.................and more Wink
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Pls do .... pls pls pls ..... qiu qiu ni ....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:01 pm

That one confirmed forged and not cast .... softer feel ...
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 pm

ironfist wrote:
thanks for the incredibly detailed reply rocky sir! Smile

i agree with you that the whole 'your PC is not good enough for this golf course' idea is severely flawed and unnecessary. i guess the best would be to take the PC and subsequently the HC test at the club that i have chosen? that way at least you'll be sure your PC can be used for that club.

and i will definitely consider learning at the AGA in bishan. i stay in the area so it'll be convenient for me too! Very Happy

and my distances really jialat.. haha i've been telling myself to create more lag, to not flip the club and release early, to compress the ball better, to swing with greater width.. and all i can muster for my 6i is around 120m. haha

Now worries, mate. If you need introduction to my coach, feel free to PM me.

If it makes you feel any better, yesterday I hit my 6 iron from 120m onto the green. Look, this is not a distance game, so don't worry too much about distances.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Pls do .... pls pls pls ..... qiu qiu ni ....

qiu qiu me.. 球球我???? don't qiu qiu me... hehe...

anyway i think your shaft needs a forged head... you using XXS shaft, forged will make it softer... i also recommend you play a softer ball... maybe srixon soft feel...
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks for your advise ... Will try softer balls .. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Lamts18 wrote:

beware of those that market themselves as soft but actually the outer covering is soft but inner core is a hard one... those are dangerous... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
redbull
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
redbull

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:15 pm

mervyntan wrote:

anyway i think your shaft needs a forged head... you using XXS shaft, forged will make it softer... i also recommend you play a softer ball... maybe srixon soft feel...

you very expert now What a Face

may be better delete your swing video What a Face
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 pm

redbull wrote:
mervyntan wrote:

nice try at being witty, but unfortunately, you don't really understand the full context of it.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:29 pm

redbull wrote:
mervyntan wrote:

u seems very expert hor? always giving negative feedback or reply.

why not u post yr views or videos...

since u talk so much.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:32 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

beware of those that market themselves as soft but actually the outer covering is soft but inner core is a hard one... those are dangerous... Twisted Evil

Woah! More on this please! Which are the balls that fall into this category? Please advise. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
redbull
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
redbull

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:36 pm

mervyntan wrote:
redbull wrote:
mervyntan wrote:

nice try at being witty, but unfortunately, you don't really understand the full context of it.

your friend spoke out for you already

I very very scared now What a Face
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:38 pm

redbull wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
redbull wrote:
mervyntan wrote:

your friend spoke out for you already

I very very scared now What a Face

don't be scared lah.. continue posting on the forum... we love and welcome your presence here... life would be infinitely more boring without you around... it is indeed a great priviledge and honour of ours to have you around here to grace the forum with your astute and witty comments..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steps to Learning Golf   Steps to Learning Golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steps to Learning Golf
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next