Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?

Go down 
+5
rlhk
sunny
klt8144
mizzy
Beneoo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? Empty
PostSubject: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:49 pm

I have few questions about the rules:

Scenario 1: Original Ball teed off and went to OB. 'P' ball played and landed safely on the fairway. Start searching for the ball and ball is lost.
Question - How many penalty stroke/s incurred?

Scenario 2: Original Ball teed off and saw that the flight towards OB, player decided not to play 'P' ball and went to look for ball. Player cant find the original ball.
Question - How many penalty stroke/s incurred? And how the next ball needs to play? assuming re-teeing at the tee area is not possible as other flight is already there ready Smile

Champions out there, please advice.

Thank you.

Question
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Scenario 1: 1 stroke for tee off, 1 penalty for OB, 1 for P ball in fariway. Total 3 strokes

Scenario 2: 1 stroke tee off, 1 penalty for OB, must go back and tee off. Rules does not have provision for not going back to tee off.

Socially, just pretend you played a P ball and drop where you think it went out at the OB line.. or whatever.. hahaha
Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:10 pm

mizzy wrote:
Scenario 1: 1 stroke for tee off, 1 penalty for OB, 1 for P ball in fariway. Total 3 strokes

Scenario 2: 1 stroke tee off, 1 penalty for OB, must go back and tee off. Rules does not have provision for not going back to tee off.

Socially, just pretend you played a P ball and drop where you think it went out at the OB line.. or whatever.. hahaha

Thanks Mizzy,

yah about the social practise, if i pretend that my P ball played and drops somewhere the OB line, the penalty is still as 1 stroke right? not 2 strokes for OB and Lost Ball.

Back to top Go down
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm

S#1--> use 'P ball' as 3rd stroke.

S#2--> No 'P' ball then drop a ball near the lost area as 4th stroke...

well if its just a social game who cares? U played with yourself...hehe...

Last edited by klt8144 on Fri May 13, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm

The penalty for both are the same which is stroke plus distance. Scenario 1 you take 3rd stroke to land on fairway. You take first stroke, ob and you take 1 stroke penalty and play from last position. The p-ball is your 3rd stroke and land on the fairway.

For scenario 2, you have to tee up again. For social game, you may pretend you went back and tee up taking the stroke and penalty and hence taking the 3rd stroke from the tee box. Drop wherever you wish to play for your fourth. But a pro will tell you play your p ball or re-tee. It is against the rule to waive any rule also Smile playing your 4th stroke from there could be overly strict or lenient. Your 3rd stroke could be at center of fairway and you don't have to penalize yourself playing from the thick rough near the ob line. Or your 3rd stroke might go ob again?

Either way, you are playing your 4th shot

Last edited by sunny on Fri May 13, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:20 pm

klt8144 wrote:
S#1--> use 'P ball' as 3rd stroke.

S#2--> No 'P' ball then drop a ball near the lost area as 4th stroke...

Thanks Mizzy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:23 pm

sunny wrote:
The penalty for both are the same which is stroke plus distance. Scenario 1 you take 3rd stroke to land on fairway. You take first stroke, ob and you take 1 stroke penalty and play from last position. The p-ball is your 3rd stroke and land on the fairway.

For scenario 2, you have to tee up again. For social game, you may pretend you went back and tee up taking the stroke and penalty and hence taking the 3rd stroke from the tee box. Drop wherever you wish to play for your fourth. But a pro will tell you play your p ball or re-tee. It is against the rule to waive any rule also Smile playing your 4th stroke from there could be overly strict or lenient. Your 3rd stroke could be at center of fairway and you don't have to penalize yourself playing from the thick rough near the ob line. Or your 3rd stroke might go ob again?

Either way, you are playing your 4th shot

Crystal! Thanks Sunny.
Back to top Go down
rlhk
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Read Rules of Golf - Rule 27: Ball Lost out of Bounds; Provisional Ball Smile
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:27 pm

For the "social" practice, add penalty 2 strokes

stroke + distance rule also results in extra 2 strokes (assume no ob again hehehe)....not right way to play lah, but anyways.....
Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:43 pm

pushslice wrote:
For the "social" practice, add penalty 2 strokes

stroke + distance rule also results in extra 2 strokes (assume no ob again hehehe)....not right way to play lah, but anyways.....

Ok cool.. im more clear liao.. cos i confused with the distance penalty. Ok got it.. Thank you ALL for the extra time in answering my questions.

Happy Golfing Mates Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:03 pm

try play the game according to the rules, even in a friendly/social game, in tht case, you won't have to face so many scenarios.

u must inform yr marker prior to a 'P' ball is played no matter how obvious the situation is, otherwise it will become the ball in play.

you dont have to search for yr ball tht is heading towards OB. However, if anyone finds yr original ball in bounds before you have put another ball in play then you have to proceed with that original ball.

Decision 27-2b/1 describes an unusual situation, but one which I think will help you understand and remember the paragraph above;

At a par-3 hole, a player hits his tee shot into dense woods. He then hits a provisional ball which comes to rest near the hole. In view of the position of the provisional ball, the player does not wish to find his original ball. He does not search for it and walks directly towards his provisional ball to continue play with it. His opponent (or fellow-competitor) believes it would be beneficial to him if the original ball were found. May the opponent (or fellow-competitor) search for the player's ball?

A. Yes. In equity (Rule 1-4), he may search for five minutes provided that in the meantime the player does not play a stroke with the provisional ball, it being nearer the hole than the place where the original ball is likely to be. The player is entitled to play such a stroke. If he does, the original ball is then lost under Rule 27-2b and further search for it would serve no purpose. In match play, if the player so proceeds and his provisional ball is closer to the hole than his opponent's ball, his opponent may recall the stroke (Rule 10-1c). However, recalling the stroke would not change the status of the original ball, which was lost when the provisional ball was played out of turn.

I hope I haven't confused you further...

Wink
Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

ironhead wrote:
try play the game according to the rules, even in a friendly/social game, in tht case, you won't have to face so many scenarios.

u must inform yr marker prior to a 'P' ball is played no matter how obvious the situation is, otherwise it will become the ball in play.

you dont have to search for yr ball tht is heading towards OB. However, if anyone finds yr original ball in bounds before you have put another ball in play then you have to proceed with that original ball.

Decision 27-2b/1 describes an unusual situation, but one which I think will help you understand and remember the paragraph above;

At a par-3 hole, a player hits his tee shot into dense woods. He then hits a provisional ball which comes to rest near the hole. In view of the position of the provisional ball, the player does not wish to find his original ball. He does not search for it and walks directly towards his provisional ball to continue play with it. His opponent (or fellow-competitor) believes it would be beneficial to him if the original ball were found. May the opponent (or fellow-competitor) search for the player's ball?

A. Yes. In equity (Rule 1-4), he may search for five minutes provided that in the meantime the player does not play a stroke with the provisional ball, it being nearer the hole than the place where the original ball is likely to be. The player is entitled to play such a stroke. If he does, the original ball is then lost under Rule 27-2b and further search for it would serve no purpose. In match play, if the player so proceeds and his provisional ball is closer to the hole than his opponent's ball, his opponent may recall the stroke (Rule 10-1c). However, recalling the stroke would not change the status of the original ball, which was lost when the provisional ball was played out of turn.

I hope I haven't confused you further...

Wink

Thanks ironhead for the detailed info.. appreciate it.

Back to top Go down
Beneoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Beneoo

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks All for taking extra times for the replies. My aim is to get myself marking the right score and not shortchanging my penalty..... cos I am still very very OB/Lost ball golfer...

Have a good weekend ahead and for those golfing..... Get more birds Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MPA
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:26 pm

do u count air swing as well? (where we intend to hit but completely miss the ball).
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:39 pm

once u hv the intention of hitting the ball and u miss it completely, it is considered one stroke.
Back to top Go down
MPA
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:50 pm

clear! tks for speedy reply Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 3:36 pm

MPA airswing are counted as stroke
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?   Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rules of Golf or Standard local game practise - OB + Lost Ball = How many Penalty strokes?
Page 1 of 1