Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will this driver technique increase my distance?

Go down 
+12
entity
navik
puteh83
eiji
4dtoto
andrew-golf
rlhk
Lee36328
garylin
golf_snowman
mUAr_cHEe
dennischia
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dennischia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Will this driver technique increase my distance? Empty
PostSubject: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi all,

Sorry my first post so not sure if the video shows up,

I've bought the driver linked above and it came together with an instructional book on how to swing the driver. So far I've tried it out on the range and have been getting weird stares from the bays in front and behind me. I am wondering if I should continue to follow the tips given and scream while hitting the driver? Will I hit the ball further?

Need advice!!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

i cannot see the video... prob due to company firewall block but i assume u are talking about the HAMMER driver?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 pm

very interesting driver....not too sure is it conforming anot ?

but i guess for the fun of it...no harm trying...but please dun shout like the golfer in the video...sure have lots of people stare at you !!!....haha !!
Back to top Go down
dennischia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

yea , I notice a lot of long drivers in long drive competition like Jamie Sadlowski also mimic this technique...

Maybe it releases the tension and make the swing more free and fast? Also I discovered if you shout "POW!" the distance would not be as far as when u shout "WARRRGGHHHH" I've tried screaming on the green when I hit the driver during weekly golfing sessions in Msia but when I go to the range I feel awkward cause too many people T_T

I don't think its conforming la, but I also don't play competition..just social golfer so don't really affect me that much
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:40 pm

so it was you i heard that day ?!?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

yes, in LD competition or some sports, if you notice like Tennis, Teakwando, something even table tennis, mainly in competition mode, player tend to make some sound ..maybe for energy releasing...but when you are in the range..it's more on technique practising...

but well, if you have a indoor range, in enclose space..by all means man..shout as loud as you can....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 pm

If you're referring to the technique of shouting during the swing, I've been using this for a long time, and it works for me.

When the ball is going to slice, I yell, "Oh f@rk!"

When the ball is about to hook, I yell, "Aw crap!"

It does not stop the ball from slicing or hooking, but it allows me to pretend I'm a good player who just made a silly mistake, like the grip slipped in my hands or something. In that sense it works for me.

Back to top Go down
dennischia
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:04 pm

LOL lee, I'm already doing that..although not pro, I watch too much golf channel, keep thinking I am good player

There was once when I was playing during rainy day, I swing my hybrid and lost my grip. It flew super high like a boomerang and landed 50 metres laterally to my left. Heng never hit anyone. My kakis and the marshall thought i was raging and did it on purpose..lucky never get warning for dangerous play.

If i integrate this shouting method...I am worried it might tarnish my reputation and make me seem like a very angry person..
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm

haha...i have a friend, whenever he address to tee-off, he will shout 'Ho Yi Si Ar'...before he hit the ball....we all laugh until drop ...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
rlhk
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
haha...i have a friend, whenever he address to tee-off, he will shout 'Ho Yi Si Ar'...before he hit the ball....we all laugh until drop ...haha !!!

ROFL!!!

I will try to shout 'CHIONG ARRRRRRHHHHH" during the down swing and follow thru... will be fun and releasing tension too..

good tip!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 pm

rlhk wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

ROFL!!!

I will try to shout 'CHIONG ARRRRRRHHHHH" during the down swing and follow thru... will be fun and releasing tension too..

good tip!

haha.yes yes...

during my last game with a bro here, we did that...especially during the last few hole...tired and we just say 'chiong arh' before we hit our iron or hybrid 2nd shot..it was fun...
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

how about...

Nabe.. @#%#$$% to hell with it! $#^$%&%*

and then whack!!!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
how about...

Nabe.. @#%#$$% to hell with it! $#^$%&%*

and then whack!!!

hmmm ..then i need to practise the $^&%&$%^ at the range first ....haha !!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

in various sports, grunting and shouting when making a shot is said to give oneself an extra kick or more power to a shot... in another aspect, it also meant to invoke some effect against one's opponent mentality especially in one-on-one sports like table tennis, tennis or badminton... think serena williams..

however, this is food for thought for you guys. i actually got this from sunny. try humming or sticking your tongue out when you are hitting. becuz of the humming and the tongue action, you will find yourself not being able to swing at 100% without stopping the humming or biting your tongue. this is more for shot consistency rather than hitting it longer...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 pm

after 18 holes, my mouth will be full of blood....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:15 pm

dennischia wrote:
LOL lee, I'm already doing that..although not pro, I watch too much golf channel, keep thinking I am good player

There was once when I was playing during rainy day, I swing my hybrid and lost my grip. It flew super high like a boomerang and landed 50 metres laterally to my left. Heng never hit anyone. My kakis and the marshall thought i was raging and did it on purpose..lucky never get warning for dangerous play.

If i integrate this shouting method...I am worried it might tarnish my reputation and make me seem like a very angry person..

That's a funny story man.

And from the rest of the replies, it's comforting to see I'm not the only one with this shouting technique.

Sometimes, on especially bad swing days, by the time I reach the clubhouse, I've lost my voice.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

release of power just like how teh tennis girl : Sharapova...Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Sunday Flights at Kranji, pls prepare earplug, i am going to try this....yiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

i wanna hear you scream
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm

eiji wrote:
i wanna hear you scream

this can sound potentially wrong... especially when u say it standing behind bob... Razz
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

hahahaha.. i need the ultimate tools...still trying to figure out how, cos my two hands will be on the driver grip......may need some help...
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 pm

hahahah Eiji, i also want to hear you scream...i wil help you by squeezing....hahahahha
Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
puteh83

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:54 pm

How about the moaning sound Maria Sharapova makes while down a downhill putt?
Can help slow down the speed?
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
in various sports, grunting and shouting when making a shot is said to give oneself an extra kick or more power to a shot... in another aspect, it also meant to invoke some effect against one's opponent mentality especially in one-on-one sports like table tennis, tennis or badminton... think serena williams..

however, this is food for thought for you guys. i actually got this from sunny. try humming or sticking your tongue out when you are hitting. becuz of the humming and the tongue action, you will find yourself not being able to swing at 100% without stopping the humming or biting your tongue. this is more for shot consistency rather than hitting it longer...

I got a friend who advocates opening the mouth (just slightly) when initiating the downswing. His reasoning? I'll prevent him from tensing up and less tension = a smoother swing.

Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Haha it may not slow the putt any but it sure can increase some bloodflow. elephant

puteh83 wrote:
Back to top Go down
DimWit Kid
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DimWit Kid

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:15 am

puteh83 wrote:

Maria Sharapova's moan during driver downswing is probably ok since the shaft is probably further away from the body, so tensing up doesn't result in anything painful.
I'm pretty sure her moan during an iron play, especially with NS pro shaft, will be very, very painful if you are tensing up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this driver technique increase my distance?   Will this driver technique increase my distance? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will this driver technique increase my distance?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next