Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better

Go down 
+11
Lee36328
klt8144
pushslice
mizzy
eiji
4dtoto
S70B
Gray
Lipp
weesern
golf_snowman
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 am

mizzy wrote:
golfer criteria

can fit 4 cart golf bags in the boot
sit 4 golfers and boston bags
air con must work
no need to push
windows must work
big fuel tank for taking more in that 1/4 tank
trunk well built to protect golf bags in case of being rear ended

Hyundai Sonata fit your requirements hehe... u sat in my car before.. I personally think Korean car had made tremendous improvement over the years.. Come with quite a reasonable sound system, cheap and pretty reliable. Speed at >170kmh, still had enjoy the sound system compared to other japs car.The boot can easily take 4 golf bags maybe 5. Engine very quiet and the air con superb...only thing ...drinker...I am happy with my car,..esp when my son skidded once and he's off with light bruises, the front of the car badly smashed! Almost write-off.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Golf and cars, my two favourite passion in one thread! Woohoo! Only thing missing is cigars.

I agree, Korean car design has indeed come a very long way. The designers are now from power-houses like Pininfarina, ex chief designer of Chevrolet (IIRC), just to name a few. examples.

A car in a way also has genes. For example, get into any Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, and you know where they each sit in the fuel economy vs power, comfort vs handling, price vs prestige spectrum.

Once you fall for the poison of power and handling, it's hard to go back to Japanese or Korean.

But, am always amazed how much each successive generation of Hyundai's is improving from the one before.

For instance, this amazed me when I first saw it. It amazed me further to find out it was a Hyundai. Then I found out why I liked it.

"There is some staunch similarity between the New Tucson and the BMW designs that because the New Tucson is designed by the by former BMW designer Thomas Buerkle at Hyundai’s Russelsheim design studio in Germany and continues the company’s styling language, marketed as “fluidic sculpture”"

hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 New-Hyundai-Tucson-2010-European-Taste-1

Having said that, haven't tried driving one before, so don't know how it would handle compared with a BMW.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 pm

wow..this look very chio also...

this model is out here already, right ?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 pm

S70B wrote:
I think Top Gear says it best even if its a couple of years old.

Bro, hope you dun hate me on the golf course like how you hated korean cars hor.. cos i just placed an order for one. hahahhaa.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 pm

duffader wrote:
S70B wrote:
I think Top Gear says it best even if its a couple of years old.

Bro, hope you dun hate me on the golf course like how you hated korean cars hor.. cos i just placed an order for one. hahahhaa.

wow...cool

bro, what model have you chose ?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm

The new Tucson look goods on the outside...the interior.... pale scratch

try harder Hyundai.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm

eiji wrote:
The new Tucson look goods on the outside...the interior.... pale scratch

try harder Hyundai.
Eiji... what car u getting next? The RX270?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:56 pm

new car prices are crazy because of the COE...

getting either a used CRV or Harrier.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Big car COE dropped... faster, buy buy buy!!!!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm

drop by $2000 only...if drop by $30k can consider
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm

3 of the worse car that i have owned.....

1. Kia Sportage (performance not dependability or price)
2. Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 (performance)
3. Volvo S80 2.0 (expectations and performance)

3 of the best cars i have had...

1. SAAB 9000 CD (performance)
2. Honda Cross Road 2.0 (in terms of value and performance)
3. Lexus RX300 (performance and luxury)

if i have to buy a car soon...will have to force Ms Lee at knifepoint to sell me his car at half price.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm

DGman wrote:
3 of the worse car that i have owned.....

1. Kia Sportage (performance not dependability or price)
2. Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 (performance)
3. Volvo S80 2.0 (expectations and performance)

3 of the best cars i have had...

1. SAAB 9000 CD (performance)
2. Honda Cross Road 2.0 (in terms of value and performance)
3. Lexus RX300 (performance and luxury)

if i have to buy a car soon...will have to force Ms Lee at knifepoint to sell me his car at half price.

DGman

you can afford a brand new one!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I think with the COE and fuel prices on the rise again, i think performance and luxury will be secondary. So affordability is the key issue for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 pm

duffader wrote:
I think with the COE and fuel prices on the rise again, i think performance and luxury will be secondary. So affordability is the key issue for me. Smile

what did you buy?

I am used car hunting now...already found buyer for my car.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Nick...i don't need to buy a new one...priority at my age is different.

when i was 30 i want everything.

when i am 40 i had everything.

when i am 50 i am paying for the debt i accumulated when i was 40.

reducing debt is more important than accumulating debt.......thats why i respect duffy prudence.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 pm

i also learning to be prudent...but your place always got so much temptation, thats why i cut back on other stuff..and my car...selling it and buying another used car with hopefully no net loss.

I am turning 30 very soon...

and i want everything Twisted Evil (ie the yonex blades)
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 pm

eiji wrote:
duffader wrote:

what did you buy?

I am used car hunting now...already found buyer for my car.

Search properly. It might be cheaper provided no major repairs needed. And try not to go honda, heard insurance is going up.

Nick, I got the Kia Koup. Always wanted a 2dr so settle for it. There will tend to be some flaws in the car but i have to admit that the interior looks much better than most japanese cars in the price range. I have set a budget initially and my search began. I could have bought a 2-3 yr civic or a 3-4 yr accord. But with the fuel prices on the rise, decided to stick with a 1.6. I just dun see a point of paying more for a jap car with a omv lower than a korean car. But then again, if its not for the problems i foresee in my yellow one, i would not have change in the first place. Smile

Last edited by duffader on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm

DGman wrote:

reducing debt is more important than accumulating debt.......thats why i respect duffy prudence.

DGman

Luckily i am thinking lik eyou DGman, but i was ahead of you.. and bad at paying debts, so now, still paying debt for those things when i was 20. Hahaha.... but rather late than never. Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 am

Crazy to buy car now. Prudence is the key.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 am

duffader wrote:
DGman wrote:

DGman

Luckily i am thinking lik eyou DGman, but i was ahead of you.. and bad at paying debts, so now, still paying debt for those things when i was 20. Hahaha.... but rather late than never. Smile

totally agree with eric...

debt free or lower liability should be the target ...the biggest debt most singaporeans have are Car debt and house debt...

The new Tucson looks cool both inside and outside...few year back when i did a check on fuel consumption with few of my colleague, this is what i found out :

Honda CRV, 2L : 11km/litre
Mazda 6, 2L : 9 km/litre
my ride (Tucson) : 10km/L

and the price difference between a CRV vs Tucson....just do a bit of math and you will know why many go for Tucson, for those who go for 2L car.
Kia Coupe always caught my eye whenever there is one drove past me...that is one nice cool ride !!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 am

Fuel consumption is depending on your right leg. If you always floor the pedal, give you a honda Fit also no use. Like my bro's Q7, i think he can get 10km/l for it and its a 3.6L. If your car is heavy, make sure you have the torque to push it. Another example, the impreza 1.6l (older model) consumes more fuel than a WRX 2.0.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:50 am

Thats the common misnomer that car magazines want you to believe so that everyone will stop speeding.

Heavy or light footed, the consumption will not differ much for me.

I have done this test quite a few times.

Zua most of the time, kui turbo, I get 9.8-10.2km/l. Pump up 35l =~ 350km

Switch off aircon whenever I can, drive leisurely keeping a constant acceleration and rpm below 3k and cruising ard 2.2k-2.5k rpm.

I only get 11.5km/l at best. Pump up 35l =~ 402.5km

I get ~ 52km more and at $2.13/l with 11.5km/l ~$9.70.

However, that $10 savings isn't gonna make me enjoy my drive.

Anyway, buy liao lah. Enjoy it. Most impt is the 1st 90days. If nothing goes wrong, it should last for another few good yrs.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 am

S70B wrote:
Thats the common misnomer that car magazines want you to believe so that everyone will stop speeding.

Switch off aircon whenever I can, drive leisurely keeping a constant acceleration and rpm below 3k and cruising ard 2.2k-2.5k rpm.

Anyway, buy liao lah. Enjoy it. Most impt is the 1st 90days. If nothing goes wrong, it should last for another few good yrs.

Hehhee.. dun worry, got 5 years unlimited mileage warranty. Smile even lalio also got warranty.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 am

Check the door floorplates when u get it. I remember my friend took us for a ride when he 1st got the Cerato brand new.

I stepped in wah lau eh it dropped out. Behind it was double sided tape! Shocked

He sold it for an airwave after the gearbox kaput 2 yr later.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:01 am

S70B wrote:

bro,

i agree with you on that...really din make much difference

i remember reading thru some web page on fuel consumption and basically there is a formula calculation the fuel consumption base on engine capacity...pretty accurate.

the rest are pretty marginally depend on driving characteristic...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better   hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hmm.....seems like korean car's design is getting better
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next