Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for advice in my golf equipment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
danielleews
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Looking for advice in my golf equipment Empty
PostSubject: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:20 am

hi brothers and sisters,

i'm considering the following options:

1. a resale MX-17 set + a Nike slingshot + MX-500 driver under $600.
(this set looks a bit dated).

2. a resale MX-200 set under $600, but need to get my own driver and hybrid (if i required)

3. a resale Callaway R9 under $500

4. or simply get a hybrid to begin with. Say a resale Callaway Diablo Big Bertha Hybrid for under $100

What do you suggesT?
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 am

callaway r9? u mean taylormade...

how long have you started?
currently taking lessons?

if just starting, and dont want to waste money changing clubs.. i would say get or borrow someone(that they dont use) 7i.. coz most lesson start off with basics of swing... after u get more comfortable with your swing... then demo a lot of different sets... then u can decide what is best for you...

dont do my mistake of buying a hybrid first, heheh..

but from the above options if i was starting out and dont mind risking not liking them in the end.. i would get the mx200.. they are forged irons... yum..
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 am

Option 2 looks yummy.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 am

If you are looking for a resale set plus driver plus hybrid, I have the following bundle set for you :

Taylormade R7 CGB max irons, 3-PW, graphite shafts
Taylormade R9 460 driver
Adams Idea Pro Gold hybrid, 20 deg
Taylormade RAC 54 deg wedge
Ping Karsten Anser 2 putter (blade putter)

All for $720. I think you are just left with FW and maybe a lob wedge..

Let me know if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
ERiC-G
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 am

Not sure which stage of golfing you are at now. Assuming you are going to take lessons, you will probably need the 7I for 1st couple of lesson, then the Driver, then a PW and SW, and finally all of the above if the final lesson is on the course. If you are like most of us where money is a scarce resource, I would advise getting a used complete set 1st as its cheaper to buy as a set and the clubs will complement each other. Only after you play for some time and have somewhat consistent swing, then you can go for fitting or may even be able to feel what you don't like about your clubs and then get another set.
Just sharing my recent experience of starting golf.
Back to top Go down
danielleews
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions. They are all very good recommendations. now i'm waiting for wife's approval on the budget part! Smile
Back to top Go down
danielleews
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi brothers and sisters,

Got my approval for $500 budget. i'm left with the following options.

1. Adam Idea V4 hybrid irons - 3H, 4H, 5I to PW close to $500. Jap specs. Graphite shaft less than 70g.

versus

2. Mizuno MX-200 from 4I to P, G & S.
Stiff Stock Mizuno Shaft (anyone knows if this is steel or graphite?)

i went to Isetan on Friday and a friendly fitter advised me to get a graphite shaft after looking at my swing. He says my swing lacks strength.

Please let me know what you think. all suggestions welcomed!
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:31 pm

i would try hitting them both... see if they look right for u, feel right and which ones give the best results for yourself...

dunno how fast your swing is.. but usually beginners are recommended to use regular graphite shafts due to the beginners low swing speed, what you lose in feel and workability in the steel shafts.. you gain in distance and the light weight of the graphite shafts...

in the end it depends on you, i think loads of beginners lose interest in the game quickly when they get equipment that is a bit too advanced for them, and they cant hit the distance they want or they ball doesnt fly the height they want , not understanding it takes hard work and time..

in the beginning buy something that suits for your current developing golf game..... golf is already a hard and cruel game, why make it even harder? so u enjoy playing and fall in love with it, as most of us here have...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for advice in my golf equipment   Looking for advice in my golf equipment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice in my golf equipment
Page 1 of 1