Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos

Go down 
+16
punkrockpga
efoong
matoonia
pushslice
alvinlee
Joshua
golf_new_comer
Bangla123
dorisha
Daztasiumz
critical
Slicer51
solarpop
Denmeister
Lee36328
Right_sided_coach
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos Empty
PostSubject: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 pm

If you would like a brief summary of what is wrong with your swing, feel free to post a video here. Most of you have iphones or cameras on phones which can be used to post
To get the best analysis post a video from chest height from the face on and down the line view.
You may also post any videos of chipping, putting, bunkers etc.

If you are not comfortable posting swings on the forum you can email to me. PM for email details

Hope this helps

Rgds Paul
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:54 am

Getting a lot of videos via email...I guess some are a bit shy to post here on the forum.

Keep them coming through and I hope the analysis can answer some of your questions

To save me answering the PM's, my email is paul@paultudorgolf.com

Rgds

Paul
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: My Swing DTL - your comments much appreciated   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Paul,

This is a gracious offer indeed.

If I may, allow me to take you up on it.

A bit about my background; I'm into my 2nd year of golf. I regret starting late. Little did I know I was a swing enthusiast in-waiting, and I'm now really into studying the swing.

If I am not mistaken, I am a swinger with a CF release. Not sure what you would make of it, with your RSS philosophy, but I am curious to find out.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Here's a recent DTL video. Will try to provide a FO video subsequently; as I have been rebuilding the swing, they are all now out of date! Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Lee
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Denmeister

Firstly I think your swing has many good parts to it and it close to being really really good.
I have done a video on what I think, of course others will have other opinions.
I have tried to focus just on the motion of your body during impact to show you the effect of what happens to your body due to you being too far back and having to clear and shift your hips a lot on the downswing.
As many would know from my teaching, this is caused by your set up position which creates the incorrect motion you have in your swing.

On a positive, this would be a swing that could be easily fixed as you do not have many "major" issues. Majority of cases I get, involve some very weird and wonderful swings to have to decipher. This one is not the case.

Here is also a great example of a swing this comes down on plane, from the inside and not steep but unfortunately is still does not work as you would like as your body positions are not quiet right.

All golfers should view their swings from the side view and down the line positions to really work out what is happening. You can be on "plane" but your swing may not work if body is not correct

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Paul!

I have actually read your teachings and viewed the videos that u have posted in GR and did experiment with the RSS. I have attached the link of the video. Let me know if I am doing it correctly.

I really appreciate your feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3LBR9z178&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Thanks for the detailed analysis, Paul!

I have actually read your teachings and viewed the videos that u have posted in GR and did experiment with the RSS. I have attached the link of the video. Let me know if I am doing it correctly.

I really appreciate your feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3LBR9z178&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The set up is not quiet right mate. Look at the picture below.

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos Setup10

Top half is too far back and arms shaft and wrist angles need to come more forward. Your right wrist is too flat. Needs some angle leaning forward to target

You do look better at the top of swing but u will need to also learn the matching follow thru. The "match up" needs to complement the new body position otherwise it won't work, possibly get worse. There is a drill to help this

Not good having a right sided backswing and a left sided follow thru.

Check in a mirror or video, take picture.

Just be wary if done incorrectly, u may have difficulty

Good luck and post another video if u get a chance

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

How is the drill supposed to be? U have a video example of it?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Denmeister wrote:
How is the drill supposed to be? U have a video example of it?

Heres a good one to give you the feeling of the follow through, Basically the right foot and hip are pulled back. This allows your arms to come down in front of your body and stops your hips clearing too fast as in the picture. Hence you wont be stuck. It will give you a top spin forehand feeling and produce a nice draw shot

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos Drill_10

Theres more but try this first and see how it goes.

Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Is the setup for a RSS the same as a traditional one plane swing (reverse k)?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 am

Here is a good explanation of the RSS vs LSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJMI4xVGK0&feature=related
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 am

Slicer51 wrote:

Here is a good explanation of the RSS vs LSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJMI4xVGK0&feature=related

That may be a good explanation of the RSS swing, but it's definitely not a good explanation of a traditional one plane swing (i assume it's termed LSS).

I'm no golf pro, but alot of what was said about the LSS swing are the common mistakes that are committed, not what you are SUPPOSED to be doing. Setting up with weight on the right? That only applies to the driver where you want to hit the ball on the upswing. Weight should be biased to the left on wedges and short irons, and pretty much even on both feet for mid irons to the longer clubs. Spine angle naturally has to tilt slightly away from the target, but the example that was shown was way too much tilt, for any kind of swing. Swaying is a huge no-no, you're supposed to be turning, not swaying. Flipping the wrist? Also not something preached for the traditional swing - flipping encourages you to dump all your leverage before you hit the ball, losing power. Unless you're Phil Mickelson, who can somehow flip his wrists the nano second immediately after impact, any wrist flipping action should be avoided.

Like i said, i'm no expert but this is generally what i understand of a traditional swing. Any teachers of the LSS can comment?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Paul and bros,

I just returned from the range where I attempted the RSS.

Here are the videos. Pls feel free to comment.

Overall result with my 7i, extremely good! I can confidently say the ball is mostly going where I was aiming and the impact is very solid. 90% of the shots were well hit with solid contact. Distance wise, shorter by about 10m. But it may be because I am still new to the swing.

5i, hybrid and 3w, is also ok. Not fantastic, but ok. Is there a setup difference for these clubs? How about driver?

Here's the videos of my 7i swing:

DTL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h219KS0hEg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Side view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idFEAPcv4FU
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Well done Dennis. It's definitely on the improve and the reason you are experiencing more solid impact is because of your improved impact positions. In the first photo you can see how your hips are no longer blocking your arms and club on the way into impact. This makes your right leg look straighter as it has not cleared out as much. The spine stays straighter, the shoulders don't get vertical and as a consequence your head appears higher as the body is not going back and under anymore.

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 110

From the side view you are much more forward and facing the camera (front on) than before. This is because your hips are not clearing out as much. It allows your arms to pass freely into impact and allows the right side to turn through the shot and not get stuck back under. Also the head is noticeably higher

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 210

You are still however not setting up correctly although it has improved. The picture will show the difference. Look at your right arm and wrist as well. Still not quiet right which will explain the trouble you are having with the longer clubs at the moment.

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 310

I suggest you work hard on getting the set up better and keep doing the right foot back drill I posted yesterday. This is essential as it will help you to get the feeling of the right hip turning more on the way back and also staying behind you coming into impact. You are lacking turn (depth) in your hip turn costing you some distance

See the difference in the right hip turn here. The shape is much better however

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 411

It's great to see how quickly you have made the change. As I mentioned yesterday, your swing was very good to start with, just missing a few crucial pieces. Others are not normally so easy to improve as they have many more issues to deal with. You seem to have an able body and good hand eye skills, strength and speed and time to practice. These ingredients make it an easier swing to fix.

Any readers that may be thinking of trying the RSS, just be cautious as your faults and swing pattern will probably be different to Dennis and the drills you need will vary. As was demonstrated in these videos, the player will take a few sessions before they even get the set up correct. This is the key to it all so really do a lot of work looking in the mirror and video your swing and set up as often as you can. There are some "right sided swings gone wrong" out there all because of these reasons mentioned. It can then become a "Really Stupid Swing"

Dennis I have a great training aid that will fix your right wrist and arm.

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos Secret10
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi Paul,
thanks for the encouraging words and the fast feedback!!!

I cannot thank you enough for putting in so much effort in helping me get my swing corrected. I respond very well when I get a combination of visual and written instructions and you have provided that.

I actually have a golfing trip to Bandung this coming Saturday 1 Oct to Tues 4 Oct. Due to the bad games I am experiencing over the past few weeks culminating to my 102 score last Saturday, I made up my mind to rebuild my swing even though it is so close to the Bandung trip. I am committing to working on RSS for the whole of October to see how far it gets me.

I feel that RSS would be a good fit for me is due to the following reasons:

1) I am quite tall: 185cm.
With my height and high CG, as evidenced in my past swings, with a lot of moving parts, many bad things can happen to produce bad results from the swing. When hips move too fast forward, the head gets left behind, the right leg compensates by lunging further right, etc etc. With RSS, body movements, especially the lower half, is kept to a minimum. The less movement for me, the better.

2) I tend to overthink and over analyze.
This causes a lot of stiffness in my swing and we all know what happens when we are too conscious about the numerous swing thoughts while trying to execute a swing...

With RSS, I just think about initiating the swing by corking the wrist and swinging with my arms to the top and then down again. I don't need to worry about what my lower half of the body needs to do as it is already in the impact position.

I hope I am understanding the swing correctly based on what I wrote above. If not, please let me know.

I will be working on the setup again tomorrow, as well as, the right leg back drill. Hope I get it correct so that the longer clubs can become as effective as my 7i.

I have a feeling that I may not be using much of the driver during my Bandung trip though.

Paul, Thanks again for your insights to my swing! Please keep your comments flowing. It's reassuring to know that you are with me on this journey to a better golf swing.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:

Dennis I have a great training aid that will fix your right wrist and arm.

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos Secret10

This looks like a bowling glove that I used to wear to keep my wrist from corking... Where can I get it and what's the price?

What is it supposed to help me with?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Paul,

I played 9 holes this evening and the shots were not too bad. My usual iron pull shots were lesser and also not as drastic. Still pulling just a little bit though.

As for my driver, I actually spent a few hours last night going through your previous posts and youtube videos. Tee lower and use same swing. It worked. I even had a tee off which was about 280 yards.

After the game, I went to the driving range to work on what you wrote last night. Disaster! Today's session was all about shanks and tops!!! I must be doing something wrong with the setup.

I focused on making sure that the hips do not cross the imaginary line and also moved my left shoulder more over the feet. As for my right elbow, I untucked it from my ribcage and kept it more relaxed.

A Pro observed my swing and commented that I was coming from too inside which was the reason for the shanks. What do you think? I even shanked at least 10 balls consecutively!!!

I did not video my swing as my battery was dead. The only solution is to sleep it over and see if tomorrow's range session will be better. I will make sure my phone is fully charged for the session so that I can capture the swing and show it to you.
Back to top Go down
critical
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Hey Paul

I just picked up golf earlier on this year around May, and i haven't went for any lessons, purely just but practicing and watching you tube videos,trying to improve.

So I sincerely hope maybe you could give me a few pointers here Smile !

Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 12:47 am

Hi critical

To keep it simple, If you look like you do at the top of your swing in the picture left, you will always look like you do on your follow through on the right....it's a game of match ups!! The dreaded chicken wing will always appear

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 111

If you can get your lower and upper body the opposite way around as below, you will look like he does on the follow through....matched up. The arms and body have released!

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 211

Pretty sure bet, you are slicing your driver at the moment.

As I always say, your set up is what causes the motion. Your arms look super tight as well

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos 212

You start in the opposite position so it's likely to expect the opposite result

Lastly, I would loose the two gloves ROFL ROFL Beer

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 am

Y wear two gloves bro?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Paul,
Just wanted to let you know that the RSS has helped me achieve a couple of 80+ scores for the past two weeks. The more consistent swing coupled with an improved short game has made my games a lot more enjoyable!

Still having some nagging issues with pulled shots and the chicken wing, but I will work on the swing further and see if it improves. I find that the good shots are usually of a slower backswing tempo. I may have to groove this tempo in so that the shots will draw rather than the current pulls.

If I get a chance, I will video my swing again.

Thanks for the advices.
Back to top Go down
dorisha
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Just curious... Why not 2 gloves?
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:05 pm

out of curiosity , is there a "right side method" of putting that you teach?
Back to top Go down
golf_new_comer
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Deinmeister,

Seems like u need to give me a lot of handicaps for our coming game in RJCC.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

golf_new_comer wrote:

Deinmeister,

Seems like u need to give me a lot of handicaps for our coming game in RJCC.

Haha, It is the first time that we are playing together, best not to bet, or if really want to, then we play sixes amongst us 4 balls.

Let's make it a friendly game this time. If want to bet, we can always do it the next time.

When I first played with ZX, Alvin7379, and Pushslice a few weeks ago, I was very impressed with their games. All three of them would have emptied my pockets if we were to bet that day.

Fortunately, we played sixes and all's well.

Back to top Go down
golf_new_comer
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

haha.. agree. It will also be the 1st time for me to play walking course.....Anyway, i'm not a gd player ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos   Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask the Pro - Post your swing videos
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next