Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it time to get my own set?

Go down 
+3
pushslice
asahi
Newtogolf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Is it time to get my own set? Empty
PostSubject: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Been procrastinating for the longest time and living on my borrowed set of Irons for almost 4mths since I'd started taking golf lessons. But today's golf lessons really takes the cake (since its a complete review lesson) when my instructor took my loaned 7I and compared it against his 8I and found that my 7I was almost an inch SHORTER than my instructor's 8I.

I can't be sure if my borrowed set is a custom fit but one thing for sure, the chap whom I'd loaned the set from is approximately 165cm. I'm 173cm.

Just wondering if its now time for me to break out on my own and get my own set of Irons, hybrids and drivers or should I just wait till my fundamentals are perfect, ready for my first game on the Course proper, before getting my own set and say, "AHA! I'M READY!!"

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Yup. Time to get one, be it pre-owned or new.
You would hit better if you hv Yr own set to cultivate r/s with.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Pretty interesting now that you'd mentioned it....

A r/s with your sets.... *muses*
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:15 pm

yup...preowneds are great for starting out. I calculated once that with one grand you can purchase a full set from GR marketplace. 173 cm should fit most stock specs lie and length.

Time for you to join our range sessions and demo days (find on GOLF tabloid) and try as many clubs and shafts as you can before making your purchase.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Yup. I sleep with My putter. Hahaha
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
Been procrastinating for the longest time and living on my borrowed set of Irons for almost 4mths since I'd started taking golf lessons. But today's golf lessons really takes the cake (since its a complete review lesson) when my instructor took my loaned 7I and compared it against his 8I and found that my 7I was almost an inch SHORTER than my instructor's 8I.

I can't be sure if my borrowed set is a custom fit but one thing for sure, the chap whom I'd loaned the set from is approximately 165cm. I'm 173cm.

Just wondering if its now time for me to break out on my own and get my own set of Irons, hybrids and drivers or should I just wait till my fundamentals are perfect, ready for my first game on the Course proper, before getting my own set and say, "AHA! I'M READY!!"

I thought it was interesting your coach only pointed out the "difference" after 4 months. Not sure if he was making a point about your distance, or address angle or what?

Anyway, if you feel that you like golf (after several months of learning it), go get a set lor. Always nice to shop for oneself! Smile
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:24 pm

samT wrote:

I thought it was interesting your coach only pointed out the "difference" after 4 months. Not sure if he was making a point about your distance, or address angle or what?

Anyway, if you feel that you like golf (after several months of learning it), go get a set lor. Always nice to shop for oneself! Smile
I'm not very sure but he seemed to have noticed something about my setup today and he happened to be carrying his 8 Iron. So he took my 7I and compared the length against his 8I and I saw the whole inch difference.

Despite the whole inch of difference between my 7I and his (very heavy) 8I, the usual drill applied - Setup, grip, address angle and most importantly.... Hip Power. And I felt great when the ball pinged the sweet spot.... 80% of the time. ROFL

pushslice wrote:
yup...preowneds are great for starting out. I calculated once that with one grand you can purchase a full set from GR marketplace. 173 cm should fit most stock specs lie and length.

Time for you to join our range sessions and demo days (find on GOLF tabloid) and try as many clubs and shafts as you can before making your purchase.
I wish I could but I'm still working in Bangkok! ROFL

A good friend advised on custom fitting (as fitting prices are supposed to be reasonable here) for my first set. I'm personally looking at Nike sets though. The new VR Pro combo cavity sets seemed quite out of reach for me though. The SQ Machspeed are within my reach though.
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Since you're working in Bangkok, you'd probably heard of Thaniya Plaza.

Can head down there to check out the tonnes of pre-owned stuff. However, pricing-wise, I think GR marketplace is cheaper but it's a hit-and-miss thing. If your stars are aligned (this phrase is being exploited too much in GR nowadays), you can assemble a whole set from forummers who are constantly looking at new poison and selling their older stuffs. But nothing beats spending an afternoon in Thaniya just browsing around (well, maybe there are better things to do but let's keep the discussion PG-rated).

Happy shopping. And happy golfing.

p.s. If you'd like company to shop around in Thaniya the next 2 weeks, drop me a P.M. I'm currently in BKK. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Well... actually when I compare my R7 graphite 7i vs my Stell shafted MP52 7i, the steel shaft is shorter.... are you comparing the steel and the graphite iron ?

Anyway, just invest in one set. You will need one to improve...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 am

daveaha wrote:
Well... actually when I compare my R7 graphite 7i vs my Stell shafted MP52 7i, the steel shaft is shorter.... are you comparing the steel and the graphite iron ?

Anyway, just invest in one set. You will need one to improve...
Its strange though. My loaned set actually has a graphite shaft and its SHORTER than my instructor's 8I (comes with a steel shaft).

One thing is certain, that the owner of the loaned set is shorter than me. He did not say if he had made any modifications to his set but he told me to just practise with it till I 'get better', THEN get my own set. Don't have to "waste money" first.

I suppose he meant well about me practising my fundamentals till I can drive the ball with a 7I towards the 125 yard marker at the range and hit a 280 with his 1W before I start spending moola on it.

botak wrote:
Since you're working in Bangkok, you'd probably heard of Thaniya Plaza.

Can head down there to check out the tonnes of pre-owned stuff. However, pricing-wise, I think GR marketplace is cheaper but it's a hit-and-miss thing. If your stars are aligned (this phrase is being exploited too much in GR nowadays), you can assemble a whole set from forummers who are constantly looking at new poison and selling their older stuffs. But nothing beats spending an afternoon in Thaniya just browsing around (well, maybe there are better things to do but let's keep the discussion PG-rated).

Happy shopping. And happy golfing.

p.s. If you'd like company to shop around in Thaniya the next 2 weeks, drop me a P.M. I'm currently in BKK. Cheers.
Appreciate it! I'm thinking of a short practice session next Sunday actually. Not sure if you'd bought your stuff along. Would be very happy to receive instruction tips from a very seasoned player!
Back to top Go down
Kyser
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Newtogolf wrote:

Start with a second hand set at entry prices and trade up, my friend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to get my own set?   Is it time to get my own set? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it time to get my own set?
Page 1 of 1