Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

101 Guide to Warren Course

Go down 
+6
golfool2009
asahi
duffader
nientsu
mowen
slinger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

101 Guide to Warren Course  Empty
PostSubject: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Managed to get a practise round at warren yesterday, since i was there, might as well share with u guys. From the blue tees......

Hole 1 par 4 402m: Dog-leg left, left bunker at about 220-230m, anything between this bunker the right rough is a good location, hit 220m into the wind, left about 180m to the hole, 5w to the pin, green has bunkers on the right, if u miss the green, miss to the left, decent chipping area for up n down from there.

Hole 2 par 5 481m: Water hazard from tee to green, trees flanked on the right, hit 3w followed by 7i/6i to avoid the series of left bunkers (those who wanna to cheong close to the hole), approach is still less than 100m to the green.

Hole 3 par 4 390m: Index 1 hole, left OB, right water, left bunkers abt 220m-240m, right bunker abt 220m, tight fairway, bunkers in play on both sides but i hit only about 210-220m into the wind, shy of the bunkers, followed by a hybrid, greens protected by right front bunkers n left back bunkers, over the green is also OB, one of the killer greens in warren, safe is to hit short of the green, look at the pin, find the breaks n chip from there... bogey is a good score

Hole 4 par 3 180m: left OB and right water, big right bunker protecting the green, hitting left side of the green is the safest bet.... nice chipping area on the left as well, just dun go too left to OB

Hole 5 par 4 300m: both sides flanked by trees, aim for right fairway cos there is a small tree on the left that will hinder your approach to the green, approach shot is usually a wedge, center of the green is good....

Hole 6 par 4 320m: Dog-leg right, right water hazard at the 120m mark, followed couple of left bunkers at abt the 110m-140m. Hitting 200m at the left bunker is a safe approach, if driver need to aim the 140m left bunker to find fairway....i never cheong this hole, if back blue pin position, go for center of green, dun be smart alex....

Hole 7 par 3 160m: front 2 bunkers protecting the green, aim right green for safer approach, if u play short n left, your ball will roll from center of the green down to the left rough, no joke, happens to my flightmate (hahaha)

Hole 8 par 5 450m: straight par 5, left bunker 210m and right bunker 220-230m, then layup for your favorite distance, front right bunkers protecting the green

Hole 9 par 4 410m: Index 3 hole, straight par 4, left bunkers at about the 210-230m, right bunker at 210m, if in the bunker, best to hit out to the 100m mark then approach the green, cos the green is protected by a water canal at about the 50m mark, the overhanging tress are gone due to lightning storms, so if ball is on the fairway u can attack the green with your 150-170m club, another killer green, green slope downwards from the center, center or blue pin is easier to attack, but if red, i will aim right rough cos putting downhill from the center meant the ball will roll off the green if speed of the ball is off by just a bit, margin of error is small....

PS: Hole 3 and Hole 9 are the killer holes, be conservative in your game management, at warren, u need to chip n putt well.....

Will do the back nine later tonite....
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Master slinger,

Impressive walkthrough!!

Reminds me of the first time I read your 2 page guide on kranji.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 pm

My inputs on the green.
Hole 1 par 4 402m: Dog-leg left, left bunker at about 220-230m, anything between this bunker the right rough is a good location, hit 220m into the wind, left about 180m to the hole, 5w to the pin, green has bunkers on the right, if u miss the green, miss to the left, decent chipping area for up n down from there.

Greens: slight two tier green ascending from front to back, greens slope left to right. Nice lie to chip from left but if too far left or too far back, rough will be thick. Near competition days, have fun looking for the ball.

Hole 2 par 5 481m: Water hazard from tee to green, trees flanked on the right, hit 3w followed by 7i/6i to avoid the series of left bunkers (those who wanna to cheong close to the hole), approach is still less than 100m to the green.

Greens: two tier again with lower tier steep left to right (water on the right of green). Rough is tough too.

Hole 3 par 4 390m: Index 1 hole, left OB, right water, left bunkers abt 220m-240m, right bunker abt 220m, tight fairway, bunkers in play on both sides but i hit only about 210-220m into the wind, shy of the bunkers, followed by a hybrid, greens protected by right front bunkers n left back bunkers, over the green is also OB, one of the killer greens in warren, safe is to hit short ogreen, look at the pin, find the breaks n chip from there... bogey is a good score

Greens: top tier and bottom tier is around 2m different with a lower tier left to right. Good to leave ball slightly left of center, too right, u will end up very right of hole due to a added lower tier.

Hole 4 par 3 180m: left OB and right water, big right bunker protecting the green, hitting left side of the green is the safest bet.... nice chipping area on the left as well, just dun go too left to OB.

Greens: steep upslope in the front, but once over like 8 meters from the front of the green, ball will roll downhill, left to right. Good to leave ball short of green if red pin position.

Hole 5 par 4 300m: both sides flanked by trees, aim for right fairway cos there is a small tree on the left that will hinder your approach to the green, approach shot is usually a wedge, center of the green is good....

Green: right to left green with ravine on the left center portion of green. Becareful around 100m mark cos ground is normally soft. Go left or right of fairway, will have no clear shot to green.

Hole 6 par 4 320m: Dog-leg right, right water hazard at the 120m mark, followed couple of left bunkers at abt the 110m-140m. Hitting 200m at the left bunker is a safe approach, if driver need to aim the 140m left bunker to find fairway....i never cheong this hole, if back blue pin position, go for center of green, dun be smart alex....

Green: Two tier green again with greens breaking right to left on the lower tier and left to right on upper tier.

Hole 7 par 3 160m: front 2 bunkers protecting the green, aim right green for safer approach, if u play short n left, your ball will roll from center of the green down to the left rough, no joke, happens to my flightmate (hahaha)

Green: left front portion is danger. Nice to land right of center. Chipping around the greens is not easy

Hole 8 par 5 450m: straight par 5, left bunker 210m and right bunker 220-230m, then layup for your favorite distance, front right bunkers protecting the green

Green: slope front to center and then upslope to upper tier at the back. Greens right to left and dun go long on this hole.

Hole 9 par 4 410m: Index 3 hole, straight par 4, left bunkers at about the 210-230m, right bunker at 210m, if in the bunker, best to hit out to the 100m mark then approach the green, cos the green is protected by a water canal at about the 50m mark, the overhanging tress are gone due to lightning storms, so if ball is on the fairway u can attack the green with your 150-170m club, another killer green, green slope downwards from the center, center or blue pin is easier to attack, but if red, i will aim right rough cos putting downhill from the center meant the ball will roll off the green if speed of the ball is off by just a bit, margin of error is small....

Greens: slinger describe already, so to attack, aim left on fairway just right of the bunkers. Miss green right and not left. If cannot cross, lay up to around 125-130 from green. U will meet a uphill lie. Too near the canal, hope u can find the ball and ground
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Hole 10 par 4 340m: Dog-leg left, OB left, right bunkers at 210-220m , water hazard at 240m after the right bunker, so long hitters beware..... avoid going right esp the tree after the bunkers, u have no shot to the green, green is guarded by left bunker and right water hazard

Hole 11 par 3 175m: water hazard right of the green, OB left beyond the cart path, green is tricky n slope towards the water on the right, if u chip past the pin, ball could be wet.

Hole 12 par 4 375m: water hazard left from tee to green, water hazard right from tee to about 200m mark, u need 220m carry in order to reach fairway cos there is a bunker after the right water hazard, thus aim at the left trees line (abt 250m), approach is a mid/long irons to the green, this hole is the start of killer greens on the back nine. Look where before u putt or chip.

Hole 13 par 5 540m: Index hole, left is water hazard from tee to green, right is OB from tee to green, tight fairway, series of right bunkers at the 220-240m, 2nd shot shd be before 150m or after the 100m mark cos there is a valley on the left fairway (no big deal but still rough), i hit driver n 5w, still cant reach 150m (headwind), killer green again, 3 tier green with multiple breaks, bogey is a good score....

Hole 14 par 3 130m: water hazard in play from tee to the green, back of green has 2 bunkers, usually headwind, i use 7i to play on after 2 flightmates went water with 8i, green peak at the center, then slope down on both left n right sides.

Hole 15 par 5 450m: Index Hole, need 200m carry to cross water from the tee-box, also water hazard flanked the left fairway all the way to the green, aim center to right fairway, bunkers dotted the right fairway at the 130m and 90m mark, thus 2nd shot should be between 130m to 90m distance, as for the approach, need to see where the pin is, if right pin setup, DO NOT go left of the pin, the green slope severely from right to left, anything right is good, btw there is also a bunker on the right guarding the green.... if left pin, just aim center, ball will roll to the pin..... if u do find your ball on the left, make sure u putt over the slope n pass the pin, else u looking at 4-5 putts...... one more killer green

Hole 16 par 3 145m: water hazard left from tee to green, bunkers front n back guarding the green, aim center of the green, if not right side of green also can, a good chipping area.

Hole 17 par 4 350m: straight par 4 with trees flanking both sides of fairway, green is guarded by right bunkers, aim center of green is good, green slope from back of the green to front.

Hole 18 par 4 390m: Index hole, need 200m carry to cross water from the tee box, right bunker at abt 220-240, this hole is about your 2nd shot, can choose to layup to the front or go for the back of the green, cos front green slope downwards, whereas back green is a flat plateau, depending on pin position, choose the right clubs, if center of blue pin position, just go for the back of the pin, if short, ball will roll down to the front rough, could be killer green if u play incorrectly.... bogey is also a good score

For the back 9, really needs to watch for the greens, 3-4 putts are common if not careful....those guys at warren are anal abt their greens

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Yea man....couldn't agree more on the greens. Freakingly tough.
You can two or three on but cannot putt right to make birdie or par.

Beri tough.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Hole 10 par 4 340m: Dog-leg left, OB left, right bunkers at 210-220m , water hazard at 240m after the right bunker, so long hitters beware..... avoid going right esp the tree after the bunkers, u have no shot to the green, green is guarded by left bunker and right water hazard

Greens: 2 tier again, breaks left to right and there is a hump on the front right of the green, landing on the hump directly might lead to unlucky bounce to the back of the green.

Hole 11 par 3 175m: water hazard right of the green, OB left beyond the cart path, green is tricky n slope towards the water on the right, if u chip past the pin, ball could be wet.

Greens: Sloping towards water, when putting towards water, will roll very fast. Avoid attacking the pins. Always place left of center for this green.

Hole 12 par 4 375m: water hazard left from tee to green, water hazard right from tee to about 200m mark, u need 220m carry in order to reach fairway cos there is a bunker after the right water hazard, thus aim at the left trees line (abt 250m), approach is a mid/long irons to the green, this hole is the start of killer greens on the back nine. Look where before u putt or chip.

Green: Very big green with a big ravine on the right center of the green. Tough pin position will be white or blue and try to place on the same tier as the pin.

Hole 13 par 5 540m: Index hole, left is water hazard from tee to green, right is OB from tee to green, tight fairway, series of right bunkers at the 220-240m, 2nd shot shd be before 150m or after the 100m mark cos there is a valley on the left fairway (no big deal but still rough), i hit driver n 5w, still cant reach 150m (headwind), killer green again, 3 tier green with multiple breaks, bogey is a good score....

Green: White and red pin will be easy for this hole. Blue pin will be tough cos hole will be on a slope. This is one of the more keropok ones in warren.

Hole 14 par 3 130m: water hazard in play from tee to the green, back of green has 2 bunkers, usually headwind, i use 7i to play on after 2 flightmates went water with 8i, green peak at the center, then slope down on both left n right sides.

Greens: Like what slinger say, aim center. Greens slope from back to front, now a very wide green so got to becareful.

Hole 15 par 5 450m: Index Hole, need 200m carry to cross water from the tee-box, also water hazard flanked the left fairway all the way to the green, aim center to right fairway, bunkers dotted the right fairway at the 130m and 90m mark, thus 2nd shot should be between 130m to 90m distance, as for the approach, need to see where the pin is, if right pin setup, DO NOT go left of the pin, the green slope severely from right to left, anything right is good, btw there is also a bunker on the right guarding the green.... if left pin, just aim center, ball will roll to the pin..... if u do find your ball on the left, make sure u putt over the slope n pass the pin, else u looking at 4-5 putts...... one more killer green

Greens: One of the toughest greens to read on warren. Big green with Printed Circuit Board kind of breaks. Try to land on right side of green. If left and catch the break, you will at the bottom left of the green and you will need to have a tough time putting up.

Hole 16 par 3 145m: water hazard left from tee to green, bunkers front n back guarding the green, aim center of the green, if not right side of green also can, a good chipping area.

Greens: If red, good to hit to right side of green cos can chip like what slinger said. But if white of blue, land front of green will be better cos ball will roll down. Aim center, if ball doesnt hold, will end up in bunker.

Hole 17 par 4 350m: straight par 4 with trees flanking both sides of fairway, green is guarded by right bunkers, aim center of green is good, green slope from back of the green to front.

Greens: As describe by slinger.

Hole 18 par 4 390m: Index hole, need 200m carry to cross water from the tee box, right bunker at abt 220-240, this hole is about your 2nd shot, can choose to layup to the front or go for the back of the green, cos front green slope downwards, whereas back green is a flat plateau, depending on pin position, choose the right clubs, if center of blue pin position, just go for the back of the pin, if short, ball will roll down to the front rough, could be killer green if u play incorrectly.... bogey is also a good score

Greens: Always put center regardless where the pin position is. Greens are not that tough to read, but short of green, will hit the slope, long of green, deep rough.

Hope it help guys!
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 pm

For pushslice...pls print and memorise.....!!!!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:23 pm

Already done last week sir!
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Hahahha....confirmed i can't reach 5 of the par 4 holes in regulation.....on my best drive, 1 cannot cross water.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 pm

imagine our opponent can write a how to guide while I'm a virgin and last time you played there was eons ago Laughing

anyways, this course doesnt look like a full GIR course. Win or lose on the greens, but if we miss fairways then dead already. Distance wise not a problem except for a few holes. I may lay up and pitch as close to the pin, rather than hitting greens from 170m out.

must learn the art of conservative cheong-ing from Duffy after this game!
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

slinger wrote:

Thanks to BFG, I had the first eagle of my life on this hole in Nov 2009 during the Golf Punk game. Used a BFG fitted TM driver and miraculously whacked 320m, followed up with 3H which land within 2 feet of the hole cheers
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Dear flightmates for the 18th, rest assue that I will show u around the course on the 18th. I will definitely tell u where u should land the ball but then again, u must still put the ball where I tell u. Advice is u will need a strong 160m - 180m range. It's not the par 5s that kill the players, it's te par 3s and Warren has 5 par 3s. Smile
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

slinger wrote:
if u miss the green, miss to the left,

if one can control his mistakes that well? Would he have made the mistake in the first place?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
slinger wrote:
if u miss the green, miss to the left,

if one can control his mistakes that well? Would he have made the mistake in the first place?

MC, normally, we aim left, it goes left and disperse around the left region, we hardly aim left and go right. Smile
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

wah. this is a skill i must learn. "Controlled Mistake"
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:47 am

shifu, you have any guide to seletar?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 101 Guide to Warren Course    101 Guide to Warren Course  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

101 Guide to Warren Course
Page 1 of 1