Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....

Go down 
+10
Agumon
S70B
zhenxua
Gray
slinger
pushslice
TourSwing
watermyforrest
Technospaz
Duval_S
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... Empty
PostSubject: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm

So here's the typical game plan of mine being a Seasoned beginner:

Tee off to the best of my limited ability.
2nd shot, try to max out distance for longer par 4 (based on my std).....70% of the time ok...but 30% of the time either go too far on the wrong line, duff, or top or power fade.....and such, waste too many shots on the 30%

I will like to thank a good buddy of mine who I managed to meetup at BFG keppel last week for sharing another alternative on the game plan. He enlighten me ..with the following

1. Tee off to best ability
2. 2nd shot..don need to max out...just aim to distance fm green where 3rd shot is most comfy distance...for me its 60-100m.....don need to be 10m before green......
3. then score with your 3rd shot....in tat way, you don blow hole with my 2nd shot which is quite typical

EUREKA !!!!!!!!

I will stop humming to the tune of 'still havent found what I am looking for' by U2.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 pm

You're stupid.

What? You asked Razz
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Bro ZX, be very afraid of this stupid man.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm

One more suggestion ... if you're gonna lay up anyways ... might as well tee off with a 3W (and take an easy swing), as it increases your chances of hitting the fairway ... and the first shot kinda sets the tone for the day
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm

If i remember correctly, that was how poresia won his ocbc trophies. He posted his course mgt strategy after winning them.

His scoring distance was 100m-110m. Ive seen it personally on mbgc.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 pm

let me know if this approach works for par3s.....

mayb after your game with the DSS team..... eager to know outcome liao
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Bro DS, what you say has great wisdom but takes great discipline to execute. Esp if you don't know the course well. For me, I always dream of the 2 on rather than the conservative 3 on.....then end up having 4 on.

It gets tricky if there are water and bunkers in between.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Bro ZX, be very afraid of this stupid man.

bro, I'm his victim, on more than 1 occasion ...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:36 pm

TourSwing wrote:
One more suggestion ... if you're gonna lay up anyways ... might as well tee off with a 3W (and take an easy swing), as it increases your chances of hitting the fairway ... and the first shot kinda sets the tone for the day

I beg to differ.

Drivers nowadays are designed to be so much easier to hit. Some prefer it to a 3wd cos the head is larger and it instills confidence.

Whats sillier will be to try and hit 3 wd for safety but get yourself into trouble instead. I have seen it countless times.

If you are not very straight off the tee, its better to be further down the hole than giving yourself both length and angle to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:43 pm

S70B wrote:
TourSwing wrote:

I beg to differ.

Drivers nowadays are designed to be so much easier to hit. Some prefer it to a 3wd cos the head is larger and it instills confidence.

Whats sillier will be to try and hit 3 wd for safety but get yourself into trouble instead. I have seen it countless times.

If you are not very straight off the tee, its better to be further down the hole than giving yourself both length and angle to deal with.

words of wisdom.. nowadays i just whack my driver.. whack until the driver is scared of me.. n not vice versa
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Wack the driver as close to the hole as possible...chip to thegreen...no time to waste...
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 pm

ideally one should choose a landing area which could afford a comfortable margin of error while at the same time gives you a decent chance at GIR, so you may end up choosing a driver or 3-wood ... that's what slinger shifu taught me about course management ...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 pm

S70B wrote:

ha nor ha nor.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
S70B wrote:

ha nor ha nor.

I think depends lah.. some people, cannot hit the 5 wood properly and yet they want to hit a strong 3..... Razz
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

zhenxua wrote:
ideally one should choose a landing area which could afford a comfortable margin of error while at the same time gives you a decent chance at GIR, so you may end up choosing a driver or 3-wood ... that's what slinger shifu taught me about course management ...

U use Slinger as example for F?

Your landing zone different from us. Somemore got dedicated thread for u.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm

can I ask that we focus on my stupidity??? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm

duffader wrote:
I think depends lah.. some people, cannot hit the 5 wood properly and yet they want to hit a strong 3..... Razz

But how do u judge when some people do not even have the 5 wood to begin with.
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:18 pm

duffader wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
S70B wrote:

ha nor ha nor.

sounds similiar to my problem too Sad But i dun have 5wood Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....   Call me Stupid...but I have learnt.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call me Stupid...but I have learnt....
Page 1 of 1