Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help Help...Advice Needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

Help Help...Advice Needed Empty
PostSubject: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 am

Hi All,

Just wanted get some feed back / opinions.

Being a noob / newbie to the great game of golf, I was given a set of golf clubs. S-Yard - T9 model by a friend who no longer neede it. BTW, according to him it is a original "MADE IN CHINA" set.

I have been consistently going to the range for a month and also taking lessons to see if it is something I am willing to invest time and $$ in. I am glad to say that I am really intrested in picking up the game and progressing further. Now comes the headache in picking the proper set for myself.

I have tested
Taylor Made Burner Plus. Feels very very smooth
King Cobra S9. feels very similar to the Burner Plus but prefer Burner Plus.

I have another option. Custom fitted clubs
the brands are japanese namely
EPON & MIuRA
They also carry MALTBY clubs

All the above will be fitted with ALDILA shafts. The shop here also can do retro fitting.

Your suggestions on what I should do is much appreciated...

Last edited by Winston on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:32 am

Get Burner Plus if you expect to switch sets pretty quickly cos TM sets quite easy to sell. Otherwise i strongly suggest custom fitting. Ping has a good fitting system, but you got to like the clubs in the first place. The best & obvious choice is to visit BFG at Bukit Merah, where you can hit balls & have the stats of your swing & ball flight recorded on the launch monitor, & later analyzed for the most suitable clubs & shafts.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 am

who8168 wrote:
Get Burner Plus if you expect to switch sets pretty quickly cos TM sets quite easy to sell. Otherwise i strongly suggest custom fitting. Ping has a good fitting system, but you got to like the clubs in the first place. The best & obvious choice is to visit BFG at Bukit Merah, where you can hit balls & have the stats of your swing & ball flight recorded on the launch monitor, & later analyzed for the most suitable clubs & shafts.

Thanks who8168,

I was also thinking about getting the Burner Plus. Then bring to the shop to get retro fitted.

BTW, I am based in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam and hardly have to time to go back to singapore.

There is a shop here in HCMC that does custom fitting and the are the sole agent in Vietnam for MIURA, EPON and MALTBY club heads as well as ALDILA Shafts. The have the whole set-up here. Simulator, cams, etc etc where by they collect your stats (as you have mentioned) and custom fit the clubs for you.

The EPON 701 I got quoted for SGD$2K (13 pcs) The Burner Plus (IRON SET) is retailing for USD$800 after discount
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

HI All,

was wondering what do you look for in golf clubs when you bought your first set as a beginner? Looking into purchasing my own set very soon. Need as much advice as possible so as to make an informed decision..
Thanks
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 pm

when u try cobra and burner plus, are they with the same shaft?

if not, it may be the shafts that you feel instead of the club head.

Custom fitting is the best but you are still learning, you may have to go back to them to do adjustments or maybe change shafts when you get better.

Not sure abt T9, getting a new set may not help you get better. experts, pls comment on this...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks Weesern

can't recall about the shaft but I know both graphite. Upon Impact, the TM Burner plus just felt soo much better and smoother.

The T9 set is actually given to me by a friend. It is actually a fake set made in China Suspect affraid

Even he advice me to get an original set due to the possibility of inconsistencies in the manufacturing process.

Although it will not be a cheap investment, but it would be long term. So trying to make the right choice.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 am

Winston wrote:
HI All,

was wondering what do you look for in golf clubs when you bought your first set as a beginner? Looking into purchasing my own set very soon. Need as much advice as possible so as to make an informed decision..
Thanks

Looking back, when I was a beginner, it wasn't so much my own choice or what I am looking for in a set of clubs. It was more like listening to what other experienced golfer friends are telling me.

On a practical note, a beginner's swing is not fast enough, not on plane, not compressing the ball, not high enough... need i go on? tongue Thus it is wise to use clubs that are more forgiving, meaning should you hit off-centre, you still don't lose too much distance; it will also launch the ball higher easily; probably with graphite shafts & big cavities that will absorb the vibrations from the constant mis-hits. In the end, you are probably looking for what is termed as game-improvement clubs, with wider soles, more offsets, with graphite shafts, bigger club face, etc.

Then again, if you are a natural athletic with an instinct for sports, planning to invest a lot of time into it, & confident that you may be very good in a very short time, then go ahead and get a better set meant for mid-hcp players with steel shafts.

I suspect if you are serious about this sport, you probably already are taking lessons. Then you should seek advice from you coach, who have seen you swing, & can tell you what club suits you better.

Most importantly, the clubs you buy must make you feel good, instill confidence, & let you enjoy the game. Never never get something you cannot handle, which may cause you to lose interest in this beautiful game very fast.

Enjoy, have fun & make more friends!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:11 am

Since its fake, getting another set may be a better option. I guess now you need to know what type of irons you want, cavity back are more forgiving, blades not so. You also have to like the look of the irons.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 2:33 am

HI guys...

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated it. I do know that cavity backs are more forgiving so am looking at it. being based in Vietnam offers little options. Most of it are TM, Callaway and King Cobra. and they only bring in the new models..therefore hence to be pricer..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Help...Advice Needed   Help Help...Advice Needed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Help...Advice Needed
Page 1 of 1