Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?

Go down 
+11
watermyforrest
and68low
Turbo
crayon33
Khorkar
duffader
brendanzhuo
slinger
Duval_S
asahi
ringrain_78
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? Empty
PostSubject: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 am

Hi, bros, I'm currently using Ping G15 (10.5*) with Graphite Design's Tour AD YSQ (65g, S-Flex). My drives off the tee are mainly towards left with a draw, averaging about 220m or more. If I managed to hit it flush with centre club head, my ball will fly straight. Most of the time, I hit the ball with a slightly closed face, resulting in left-ward drives.

I used to be using the G15 with stock TFC R-flex shaft which I had found too whippy, resulting in uncontrollable drives. Left, right, centre, everywhere!

Currently. I'm selling the Aldila RIP R-flex shaft for my friend so I was thinking since there are no takers yet, I would like to experiment with the shaft. But with apprehension that I would find it too whippy again.

Any brothers (or sisters) have any experience with the Aldila RIP R=flex, 60g, 3.6 torque shaft?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:07 pm

The flex ratings for different shafts are different. So it would be tough to compare the Aldila r flex with the current shaft you are using now on yr G15.
Best is to try the shaft out yourself.

I had the chance to try my fren's G15 with r flex tpc shaft. Too whippy.
Right now me trying the s flex RIP on 910, it is smooth but a tad 'harsh' for me.
So I'd think r flex RIP may be in between.
Would love to try one though.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:19 pm

I think to really know if one should change, one should change and then make the assessment
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:54 pm

u need to know your swing speed....

its a good guide to know which flex u should be using....
Back to top Go down
brendanzhuo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm

i also got a similar experience.. i have a R flex maruman driver and recently tried out a S flex PING G10..

i tink the maruman allows me to have a more controlled swing (a bit slow for my liking though) but the distance is not as far..

i can swing at my preferred faster speed with the G10.. but i think there's a bit of consistency compromised there..

eventually, i went with the S flex and practise on my swing to get the consistency and accuracy.. cos to me, "feel" is most impt..
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:01 pm

[quote="ringrain_78"]Hi, bros, I'm currently using Ping G15 (10.5*) with Graphite Design's Tour AD YSQ (65g, S-Flex). My drives off the tee are mainly towards left with a draw, averaging about 220m or more. If I managed to hit it flush with centre club head, my ball will fly straight. Most of the time, I hit the ball with a slightly closed face, resulting in left-ward drives.[quote]

Hi there, i think you already know your problem why you hitting it left, so it should be a swing problem rather than the equipment right? I remember seeing your name in the high hcp thread so i assume that you have started the game not too long ago. Averaging at 220m is already very good so try getting the face flush rather than changing the shafts....

But if you are asking about low torque shafts in regular flex, then it best to try it on your own. Different swing may react differently on the same shaft.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 pm

To add the kick point of each shaft from same brands itself have different effect on the desired ball flight. Best if you get to know more friend and try out their drivers then decide.
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 am

I think it's high time for me to visit a proper club fitter...at least to do an analysis of my swings.
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

I have the RIP60 regular in a 910 D2.

To me, it tends to play a little more like a firm. (ie between a regular and stiff)

I think the best result for me and my friend who tried my driver is that you need to a have a smooth tempo type swing.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 am

I aggree with bro Duffader that it is your swing problem rather than the shaft. Honestly, even though I am not a clubfitter or PRO shop owner, I am pretty sure 85-90% of the time, it is the golfers problem and they choose to blame the clubs most of the time. Of course, this is good for the golf clubs sellers but not your pocket$.

One tip - try to slow down your turn a tad on the downswing so that your hands can catch up. Wink
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:17 am

Turbo wrote:
I aggree with bro Duffader that it is your swing problem rather than the shaft. Honestly, even though I am not a clubfitter or PRO shop owner, I am pretty sure 85-90% of the time, it is the golfers problem and they choose to blame the clubs most of the time. Of course, this is good for the golf clubs sellers but not your pocket$.

One tip - try to slow down your turn a tad on the downswing so that your hands can catch up. Wink

Simi slow down turn leh? back turn, front turn, shoulder turn, hip turn, or U turn ? affraid
one tip;
good swing combine with suitable club = good results
good swing combine with unsuitable club = bad results
bad swing with suitable club = bad results
bad swing combine with unsuitable club = good results(need luck)

confusing hor !
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 am

and68low wrote:

ROFL this one is hillarious.
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 am

Hey hey....thanks for the response, although too late...I had been playing the R flex Aldila for quite some time...

The flex is suitable and I increased the playing length and hence it is slightly on the soft side. I had been hitting with alot more consistency comparing when I first started. It feels easier also, without the need to "force" it through. I'm not losing any distance also.

Right now, I'm practicing on my shoulder turn (to create speed) and follow through impact (to create smash). Sometimes, I still swing from outside-in, resulting in pulled shots...

Thanks for your guidance.

Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 am

Since you have the shaft, just reshaft and try lah...

I think if you are a young golfer, you can go to a stiffer shaft. When you get more comfortable with the club, you will probably swing faster.

I have no experience with the shaft you mentioned. My current driver is a 9064ls on a RIP (yellow eyes, gamma?) S flex, and I find the ball flight a little high, but it's probably more of my bad swing and not contacting the sweet spot nicely.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am

watermyforrest wrote:
and68low wrote:

No wonder i always depend on luck.....
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 am

duffader wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
and68low wrote:

Trying to hook up a victim with the luck thingy ?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am

bro, you must be one lucky bastard.... Razz Did you often win 4ds or lucky draws at company D&D?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

and68low wrote:
duffader wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
and68low wrote:

Trying to hook up a victim with the luck thingy ?

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

Guys, for those interested in the thread, please see under Equipment Review for a short story of the shaft change and how it improved my game.

For those chit-chatting, maybe better to start a thread for under chit-chat. Nothing offensive but I think we should not be threadjacking for sack of genuine information seekers. What say you?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am

Sorry brudder... I say YES!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

ringrain78, Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread...

I remember reading your review on the RIP, I thought you were going to try a different flex RIP...Hope the RIP is still working fine for u
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 am

ringrain_78 wrote:
Hi, bros, I'm currently using Ping G15 (10.5*) with Graphite Design's Tour AD YSQ (65g, S-Flex). My drives off the tee are mainly towards left with a draw, averaging about 220m or more. If I managed to hit it flush with centre club head, my ball will fly straight. Most of the time, I hit the ball with a slightly closed face, resulting in left-ward drives.

Currently. I'm selling the Aldila RIP R-flex shaft for my friend so I was thinking since there are no takers yet, I would like to experiment with the shaft. But with apprehension that I would find it too whippy again.

1) take the GD Tour AD TSQ G15 driver to a fitter, measure the CPM

2) take the Aldila RIP R flex to a fitter, measure the CPM

if both shafts are abt the same CPM, then viola.....
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 am

CPM? You mean putting onto the vibrating machine?

If so, had done that...found the the GD Tour AD plays to a firm rating.

Was thinking of shafting the GD Tour into my 3W but since got a decent 3W so decided not to disturb it.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

PJ, SS, Duffy and slinger asked "golf god" if you need to change to R flex .... and they told me to tell you what golf god says ...... go find a club fitter...and.... your question will be answered !
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Since you have the shaft, just reshaft and try lah...

I think if you are a young golfer, you can go to a stiffer shaft. When you get more comfortable with the club, you will probably swing faster.

I have no experience with the shaft you mentioned. My current driver is a 9064ls on a RIP (yellow eyes, gamma?) S flex, and I find the ball flight a little high, but it's probably more of my bad swing and not contacting the sweet spot nicely.

u wanna try red eyes ? for lower launch?

i hv both S n R for u to test yur wholeliness albino
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?   Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I change to a regular flex shaft (driver)?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next