Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron

Go down 
+13
slinger
Technospaz
tronos
jaketang
Dstruc
Duval_S
chinchiachun
Roystonnn
Ssquirrel
weesern
kopiO
hillgreen
ninerzero
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron Empty
PostSubject: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 pm

I have a TM Burner (9.5deg) and my longest iron is 4 iron (24deg); Maruman Conductor Pro, graphite S flex (absolutely love them)

Firstly, I would much prefer to have 2 clubs to fill this gap.
Anyone think that having 3 is a better idea?

2 CLUBS SETUP
===========
I am thinking I need something like 15deg and 20deg.
So, I am looking at a 15deg 3 wood to begin.

The 20deg region gets very tricky.
I could either buy a hybrid 19/20deg
or a wood 7 which is 21 deg
or get a wood 5, 18 deg?

If I were to fill up the gap with 2 clubs, 15 and 18deg would be too close isn't it? and consequently 18 to 24 deg would be a little too far...

I was thinking a wood 3 and a wood 7 (21deg), but seems a little weird, anyone with this setup?

Or wood 3 and hybrid 3 (19/20deg).

I think a 21deg wood 7 should go the same distance as a 19deg hybrid coz of the longer wood shaft despite weaker loft?

3 CLUBS SETUP
===========

Get 3(15deg) ,5(18deg),7(21deg) wood?

3,5 wood and 3 hybrid (21 deg)

But honestly, I don't think I can hit a 3(15deg) and 5(18deg) wood so perfectly each time that I get a consistent difference in distance.. I'd probably hit both around the same distance unless ofcourse teed up. Still.. probably only 50% chance.. haha..

Also, if I go with 3 clubs, i'd have to give up my 60deg wedge, otherwise, I have more than 14 clubs. Next to 60 is a 56deg sand wedge.

Do let me have your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Last edited by ninerzero on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Think get 2 hybrid then at about 19 deg and 23 deg, they are definitely more versatile than wood (since you mentioned cannot hit wood consistently).

Isetan sale used to have the Maruman conductor hybrid (the later model ) at about slightly more than $200 each. They have the 19 and 23 deg if not wrong..
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 pm

should look at distance gap, instead of just clubs. and depending whether you are a hybrid or wood guy....

i alternate betw 2 or 3 club setup depending on the course, coz there is gap between my 3w and 3 hybrid, particulary for the long par 3. the 3w is oso a backup go-to club if my driver scews up.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid in between my driver and 5 iron. for me I think the gap is between my hybrid and 5 iron. luckily seldom get to distance between this 2 clubs... 3 wood not so good yet so distance more than my hybrid I will hit with my hybrid and hope it rolls on or lay up.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Yup, look at the distance gap you need to cover.

Don't get too caught up with loft degrees, as you can get same distance with different loft/shaft length combo.

2 or 3 club setup depends on your distance gap. If you are long hitter, and have driver ~250m and 4i around 200m, then you can do with a 2 club setup as a 15m gap in this range might not be as significant/crucial if you are a shorter hitter.
e.g for me driver 180m, 4i 140m, so I need 3 clubs setup because need to cover 170m, 160m, 150m.

8)
Back to top Go down
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Good point, should look distance...

I am an iron guy.. i can hit my 4 iron about 180m +/-5m
My driver is about 220m carry.

I am hoping the 2 clubs will fill 195m +/-5m
And 205m +/-5m

I had a cleveland launcher hybrid before..
I can hardly hit it straight, always slice, I am guessing that the shaft is too heavy.

I am leaning towards a 7 wood, but I am still open to hybrids, maybe just have to look for the right one.

7 wood, 195m +/-5m? possible?
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 pm

I have slight similar issue with u..
Here is my humble stats...

Driver 180-200m (DAMN NOT CONSISTENT)
3w 15deg = 180m (not consistent)
5w 18.5deg = 175m (go to club)
5H 25deg = 150m (go to club)
4i = 145-155m

Need 21 or 23deg Go-To Hybrid to cover 160m for Par 3.
But I go for 21deg as I don't usually hit with max strength.

As I am still a beginner, I dun have big distance gap as Driver not far. Very Happy
So not much of a headache to cover up the gap between driver and 4i.

Swing
Back to top Go down
chinchiachun
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chinchiachun

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
e.g for me driver 180m, 4i 140m, so I need 3 clubs setup because need to cover 170m, 160m, 150m.

8)

Bro, ppl ask for advice you give buaya story of your 180m drive again, buay gam leh.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 pm

ninerzero wrote:

And 205m +/-5m

I can hardly hit it straight, always slice, I am guessing that the shaft is too heavy.

I am leaning towards a 7 wood, but I am still open to hybrids, maybe just have to look for the right one.

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid! Wat Deg? Still have it? Selling? hehe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:40 pm

hahaha.. sold liao lah...

it was a cleveland launcher 2i... can't remember the degree. 18? 19?
But the shaft was fujikura, 72 - 76gram i think... VERY HEAVY.. for me lah...

I asked a pro to hitwhen i was at the range one day... he also slice the bugger...
maybe fade lah.. not slice... but he also commented very heavy.

for me.. always SLICE.. so decided to sell.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Alamak.. sold ler ah.. somemore 2i.. me cannot la. Not pro enough.
Cleveland launcher has a heavy shaft ah.. din noe.. I dun like heavy things.. because my weight is heavy enough.. so hate heavy. Razz

Anyway back to your question. Though I am beginner, but if it is me facing this dilemna.
I will got for Hybrids & 5wood to cover gap. (cos it's my most consistent long distance club)

Whether wat degree to buy, try it out and find the distance you want to cover. Probably 10-15m gap bah. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:46 pm

ninerzero wrote:

And 205m +/-5m

Wah....you strong hitter. Radical thought, why not just get a 18 deg hybrid bent to 16 deg and play around with choking down and also play around with club face to control the flight of the ball thus the distance

Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Maths point of view

24degrees - 9.5 = 14.5
14.5 divide by 3 (to get the 2 clubs 'in-between' loft) = 4.833

so your 2 clubs' loft will be about 9.5+4.833=(14.33) and 24 - 4.833=(19.167)....

so one round up(15*) and one round down(19*)
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:51 pm

how u know if the club will cover the distance before buying it??
Back to top Go down
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 pm

WHOA... all no need to work is it?
or all students? hahaha..

Anyways, thanks for the replies.. am really glad to find this forum after toonshouse went down. see alot of familiar nicks as well...

Anyways.. yes.. 15deg and 19deg

15deg no brainer lah.. 3 wood

I realise many carry a 19deg hybrid.. but i dunno if i can do with a hybrid.. must go test..
either that or 21deg wood7... anyone reckon both will go the same distance?
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:55 pm

just go TRY b4 BUY!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:58 pm

weesern wrote:
how u know if the club will cover the distance before buying it??
You don't. usually find out after you paid good money that it doesn't work.. that's what keeps the golf equipment industry healthy... Smile

Or go talk to a club fitter; measure your current equipment, discuss what you want to achieve and ask him/her for opinion.
Can also discuss with golf forumers or golf store sales ppl, but the latter 2 options errr............risky..
Or join a golf forum, meet up with some of them at driving range and try their clubs... 8)
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:03 pm

you might want to try the pro shop at MBGC. I see people trying clubs in the afternoons.

I did that when Pan west was there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Ofcourse dunno lah.. unless shop willing to lend me all the different brand, lofts, shaft, swing weight, flex to try, which I think they'd be reluctant.. so my best bet is still the loft. I don't think will go very wrong with that...

Anyways.. let's put things if perspective.

If you have 30m to 40m to cover between your driver and your longest iron, probably need 2 clubs...

If you are a long hitter and can hoot your driver 250m, then probably need 3 clubs between.

I guess the longest distance "go to" club is probably something that you can hit 190 to 200m straight and consistent? for those long par 3 or short Par 5 where you can reach in two?

Anything more than 200m, just go with fairway wood... 5 to 10m left/right is ok?
Used for very long Par 5 second shots OR...
"Water gun" driver on Par 4 or 5.. have more than 200m club to catch up?

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by ninerzero on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Dstruc wrote:
just go TRY b4 BUY!

sometimes when trying it and really playing it can be quite different...
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:28 pm

weesern wrote:
Dstruc wrote:
just go TRY b4 BUY!

sometimes when trying it and really playing it can be quite different...

True That! if only each brands have their rental booths at course.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:44 pm

ninerzero wrote:

And 205m +/-5m

these stats are definitely a buaya's stats!!!! affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
ninerzero
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Hmm.. really?? I thought 150 +/- 5m for 7 iron it is pretty average. 10m spacing each club, 4 iron 175-185m is pretty reasonable..

Driver 215-225m is pretty average as well, isn't it?

Ofcourse, beginners who will go 10 to 20m shorter.
But in time, they'd probably catch up.

I know some long hitters who can consistently hit 10 to 15m longer than I do.

Don't quite get which part is an exageration...
Anyways...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 pm

more like 110-120m for the 7 iron. Took me 6 months to hit my 7 iron 120m (but then again i only go to the range 1-2 times a week and started with a steel shaft). I see plenty of ppl hit their 7 iron way less than me. I only have a PC, and these ppl are most likely beginners as well.

Its more technique so when you finally get the technique, the jump will be quite tremendous. i started from 90m and slowwly creep to 100m in 5 months. only recently suddenly jump to 120m after realizing i previously block all the way.

Problem now is i am so inconsistent, my 7 iron range is 70m to 120m (10m slice to straight flight). Last time at least 90-100m, all block right.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:42 pm

driver carry of 220m is not short at all.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron   Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next