Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbie's Equipments

Go down 
+8
kg7068
Elysium
pushslice
weesern
mizzy
bomby
duffader
Holeinone
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Newbie's Equipments Empty
PostSubject: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello!

I'm looking to buy some necessary golfing equipments the next of which is a good-looking pair of golf shoes. Before I started golfing, I never gave golf stores or anything golf-related a second look or thought. Now I wish I knew...

- How much should I expect to pay for a mid-range pair?
- Where are the best places to buy them? i.e. wide range, non-rip-off prices, think Sim Lim for golf
- Removable studs or not?
- Do I really need a pair?

Recently acquired a set of very old Daiwa G3s. Feels 'flexy'. The faces are 'titanium plated with brass weights'. What does that mean? Some of the clubs in there look like it has a carbon fibre face. What's the deal? Advisable to use until I get my own set?

How do I determine my ideal shaft length and loft if buying my own set? Can I buy a stock shaft and have it cut down? If it matters, I'm 178/65

Is it okay to mix and match a set? Am I right to assume it's better to have a similar full set of irons (1 - 9?) and if I preferred, a different set of woods and putter?

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Before you start the above... look for a pro to get the basic fundamentals right first... Smile
Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm

duffader wrote:
Before you start the above... look for a pro to get the basic fundamentals right first... Smile

Yeah, I have a coach. I just never discussed equipments with him.

I've no problems hitting the ball high and straight with a 7-iron (pretty much the only club I practice with, for now). Of course, by 'no problem' I mean I still have infinite room for improvement. Just trying to say I'm not a complete blank.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 3:59 pm

my suggestion is try to read up more.

Iron.. yes there is 1-9 + PW, AW, SW LW.. but normally 1 and 2 iron are quite difficult to master..

Wood.. 1 (aka Driver) 3, 5, 7, 9...

And Hybrid/Rescue.. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....

Also not forgetting the putter.

For now.. its ok to continue to hitting your 7 iron, but talk to the coach. At one point.. he/she will have to introduce you to the various clubs there is that ppl normally use.. also.. you can try to get 2nd hand set via here.. or Far East Shopping Center (Sim Lim for Golf) to check out the stores there.

But before and as usual when buying anything.. please do your homework by checking the prices and models. To prevent unhappiness and obtain nett happiness.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Holeinone wrote:

- Where are the best places to buy them? i.e. wide range, non-rip-off prices, think Sim Lim for golf

Recently acquired a set of very old Daiwa G3s. Feels 'flexy'. The faces are 'titanium plated with brass weights'. What does that mean? Some of the clubs in there look like it has a carbon fibre face. What's the deal? Advisable to use until I get my own set?

How do I determine my ideal shaft length and loft if buying my own set? Can I buy a stock shaft and have it cut down? If it matters, I'm 178/65

Is it okay to mix and match a set? Am I right to assume it's better to have a similar full set of irons (1 - 9?) and if I preferred, a different set of woods and putter?

I shall attempt to answer some of your questions.. What a Face

There was a sale recently by TM, at really good prices but its over.
Try Vinc golf at Far East, at the low range of $100 plus or even lower, you can get a good pair. Go shop shop.
Some courses will not let you play without golf shoes.. hmm.. anyway removable studs or not is up to you.

Getting a new set of clubs can be like a journey.. you can just buy all at once or a little at a time and enjoy the process. you only have your own satisfaction to think about.

custom fitting will let you know where to start on the flex and lengths.. remember, the result is to produce a consistent ball striking swing. just experiment or let your coach help a problematic swing.

mix and match what you like. if you like all the same brands/models, thats up to you. just so long as you get that ball in the hole in the fewest strokes.. bom
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:11 pm

To answer your question on shoes.... Yes you need a pair, the price range is quite big so its up to you how much you are willing to pay...

studa removable or not I guess its a preference. I prefer removable studs because I do not like to waste the pair only because the studs have wear off.

you already have a set of irons... isn't that your own set?? you are not in need to get a new set so take this time to slowly understand the clubs and search for it.

on determining the correct length and loft, you can try online but they are just general guide... best is still a club fitter.

What do you mean by different set of iron/woods? Brand? Model?

If you only practise with your 7 iron, wait for your coach to teach you the rest first before buying... no point buy on impulse and get the wrong club... unless you have lots of money to spare...

Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I've been reading around... Many terms to learn, things to know.

Just looking at all the available types of Irons, Woods and Putter... Faints. The paradox of choice. Just how is anyone able to choose what to put in their bags?!

Shoes, yeah a huge range out there. I guess I'll go with my favorite-looking one at a price acceptable to my pockets.

The Daiwa set isn't complete, there are some missing irons and I can't get personal (I notice how much some of you guys pamper your clubs) with a used set that I didn't earn myself. Does anyone know anything about the Daiwa G3s? Google was no help.

What I meant by 'different sets' is, say... A Nike Iron 1,2,3, Callaway 4,5,6 etc in your play set. The loft wouldn't be standard right? So it's just not a good idea to do that.

What is really meant by 'clubfitter' ? Means they just fix things together for you? But manufacturers don't sell head and shafts separate? How much more is the usual price of clubfitting compared to stock clubs?

I apologize for the many questions... I'll use the search function next time.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm

a Sand wedge, putter, 10.5 driver, some used balls, maybe a 22-23 degree hybrid, tees, a golf bag. Buy pre owned. Ask ur coach for suitable shaft flex for u. This set s/b enough to learn most shots. Buy clubs u like, when the golf bug bites Razz or seriously, when your swing stabilizes.

Browse the forum for tons of info abt golf clubs/brands, custom fitting, golf courses to play or practice, where to buy etc. Work ur fingers on the keyboard a little bit ah

Dun forget to browse the net for golf etiquette...happy golfing.

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Chances are you will not be able to mix 2 sets of iron together unless you are willing to buy two sets of irons so that you can mix them... Some brands may offer combo set but usually happens when you go for fitting...

Club fitter fit the clubs to you as compared to off the shelf.. you fit the clubs to you.
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 10:05 am

If you got big feet, 10 US - 11.5 US , you can head down to Nike Golf at 33 Ubi Ave 3 , Vertex. The shoes are going for about $98 nett (cash).
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 10:34 am

Holeinone wrote:
Hello!

I'm looking to buy some necessary golfing equipments the next of which is a good-looking pair of golf shoes. Before I started golfing, I never gave golf stores or anything golf-related a second look or thought. Now I wish I knew...

Get a close friend who has been golfing regularly to advise u. Plenty of stuff in the market and before buying, know the product knowledge.
Back to top Go down
jjjsong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 pm

you can try out the 2nd hand golf equipment for a start...
Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Got my shoes. A cheap and good-looking white Adidas with brown stripes and removable spikes.

Just curious. How does it make sense for any manufacturer to make shoes with non-replaceable spikes?

I already have a used golf set but I like the thought of a brand new set. Got a quote for a set of X22s plus driver, wood and putter for 1.6..
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Quote :
Holeinone wrote:
Got my shoes. A cheap and good-looking white Adidas with brown stripes and removable spikes.

Just curious. How does it make sense for any manufacturer to make shoes with non-replaceable spikes?

I already have a used golf set but I like the thought of a brand new set. Got a quote for a set of X22s plus driver, wood and putter for 1.6..

Bro, nothing beats having a brand new full set.....and walking towards your first hole for your first game or 2nd or 3rd.

The aura that it helps to brings...cannot be measured.

Though I had not had that feeling before, but I am pretty sure it will give one such. I am hoping to get one new set in time for X'mas....
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:34 pm

For beginners... i really think no need to get such a good set.. i started with a set of mx200 Mizuno.. then when i tried a second hand set, nike slingshot 4D, (at $250), it made little difference.
Still spraying everywhere and occasionally topping the ball.

I hence sold off my Miz to a deserving owner.

Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Where are the second-hand golf stores anyway? They sell complete used sets? Or mix and match?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 pm

2nd hand shops:

Far east shopping centre

creative golf
333 Kreta Ayer Road
#01-17 S080333
Tel: 62777760

but my personal fav is still GR marketplace Smile

watch out for GRian's previously loved items... sometimes got friendship price... Smile
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 am

I would recommend Greenfield at Far East as well..
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 pm

another thing, just make sure you do hit that club before you buy it. you can either borrow it from a friend or try it during product demo on the range.
the last thing you want is to buy something that you won't like or worst, can't use.
Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Gombak range has Nike demo every Thursday, not sure about other brands.

Are there any place that sell heads only?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie's Equipments   Newbie's Equipments I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie's Equipments
Page 1 of 1